Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 10:20 PM   #1

1997 Ford F53 V8 460 Crank No Start

Help. She cranks but will not start. Battery is good, terminals replaced, inertia switch is not activated, I hear a click from the relay, swapped relays anyway with no joy, performed fuel pressure test with cheap Harbor Freight gage and got zero pressure. As I was about to start looking at the fuel pump, I started probing all fuzes in the distribution box with a test light. No power to fuse 11 (Starter relay coil) not even with key in start. The 30amp fuze is good but no power is supplied to the fuze. Now I'm scratching my head.
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #2

I had a 96 year Ford motorhome, and there is a recall on the fuel pump that may apply to your rig also. The new, good pump is called the "Turbine pump". The old pumps internal grounding would go bad somehow as I recall. I did the job myself by using two floor jacks side by side to lower the tank slowly without stressing the connected lines. The new pump comes with a kit to connect to adapt the new harness to the old. Of course, always check and replace your fuel filter first to be sure it's not clogged.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:00 PM   #3

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I had a 96 year Ford motorhome, and there is a recall on the fuel pump that may apply to your rig also. The new, good pump is called the "Turbine pump". The old pumps internal grounding would go bad somehow as I recall. I did the job myself by using two floor jacks side by side to lower the tank slowly without stressing the connected lines. The new pump comes with a kit to connect to adapt the new harness to the old. Of course, always check and replace your fuel filter first to be sure it's not clogged.
I replaced the starter solenoid so now I have power to fuse 11. Still cranks but no start. Will change fuel filter next and if that doesn’t work, then the pump. I appreciate the information. I have one 3ton Jack. The tanks has around 60 gallons of fuel. So you had the jacks side by side and you had enough room to work under the RV and you were able to raise it up and align the hole by yourself. Very impressive. I wonder how much fuel you had in the tank?
Old 05-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
knock knock

Try banging on fuel tank with rubber mallet while someone cranks engine. Locate fuel pump relay and check for power(yellow wire) jump yellow to dark green/ yellow and see if starts . If not fuel pump probably bad.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstaar17 View Post
I replaced the starter solenoid so now I have power to fuse 11. Still cranks but no start. Will change fuel filter next and if that doesn’t work, then the pump. I appreciate the information. I have one 3ton Jack. The tanks has around 60 gallons of fuel. So you had the jacks side by side and you had enough room to work under the RV and you were able to raise it up and align the hole by yourself. Very impressive. I wonder how much fuel you had in the tank?
It's been so long I can't remember how much fuel, but I would try and fish a siphon line into the tank and siphon it out. If you jack up the back of the rig your siphon will go faster, but speed is not the point. Use a length of clear plastic line, like 3/8 perhaps, then start the siphon with your mouth and when you see the fuel come down remove your mouth and into your containers. I remember I tilted the back of the tank down, so it didn't over stress the fuel and electrical lines. One issue to be aware of is sometimes the nut /studs on the tank snap off from rust and then you need a new tank, so watch out for that. Another method to get to the pump, which has been done, is cut a hole in the floor above the pump area, and remove the pump through that hole. Sometimes it's underneath the bed in the back. If you do that, very carefully, cut at a 45 degree angle so the piece can drop back in and not fall through. Make a square cut, not round. You might start with a 3/8 deep cut and work around it an 1/8 at a time carefully so you don't hit the fuel or electrical lines. Disconnect the battery of course. One tool you might use is an oscillating cutter like a Fein or a knockoff of it. If you use the jacks you need two. It's too unstable with one. You could also put a length of 2x4 between the jack head for more stability.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #6

I just changed mine. 70 gallon tank, about half full. I had a spot in the yard where I could put the coach so there was a bit of extra room under the tail and put it up on the jacks. Which only added a little.

Threw a square of plywood down an put my motorcycle jack under. Also laid a piece of 2x12" board on the motorcycle jack. Hardest part was getting the filler hose and vent hoses off. Tank came down easy and tilted over to the passenger side as it came so I didn't even drop it all the way.

Somebody had been there before me and pinched the wiring a bit. I noticed I could loop the wiring out in front of the tank a bit so if I ever needed to test in the future I could reach it. And I did. Went back up and together and easier than it came down. But the coach wouldn't start. Now that I could assess the wiring I could see that it had power.

Down the tank came again. Filler and vent hoses a LOT easier the second time. But the tank didn't tilt nicely this time. Wobbled and flopped front to rear. Difficult for one person but it came down. One of the wire attaching clips had come off. Slipped right on normally but I could touch it and it fell off again. Crimped it, installed, and before I put the tank back up confirmed the coach was back up and running.

Bad part is that I'll be doing this again one day. The tank is old and hast some rust in it that it clogging the fuel pulp "sock" filter. I looked but couldn't find a bigger and better filter I could fit to it. (Yet) What it has is just too small and will be clogged up sometime I am sure.

This is the style of jack I have though mine came from WalMart and was just a smidge cheaper.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...BoCpMUQAvD_BwE
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:43 AM   #7

Awesome thanks.

Tags
f53, ford, no start