Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1997 Holiday Rambler hidden start button

We recently purchased a 1997 HR Imperial. Sometimes the engine will not start. There is a push button hidden behind the left side of the console drawer. If you press this button and turn the ignition key at the same time it starts just fine. Does anyone know what this is all about? Also, If the slide malfunctions and won't slide in, is there a way to manually slide it in? Thanks for any info.
jrburch1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Sounds like a work-around for a worn ignition switch. The ignition switch powers a lot of functions besides the engine, steps, T.V. cut off, and perhaps others. I had to replace mine, about $20 and the old tumbler worked so I kept the key I had. I can't help with the slide, I don't have any.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrburch1946 View Post
We recently purchased a 1997 HR Imperial. Sometimes the engine will not start. There is a push button hidden behind the left side of the console drawer. If you press this button and turn the ignition key at the same time it starts just fine. Does anyone know what this is all about? Also, If the slide malfunctions and won't slide in, is there a way to manually slide it in? Thanks for any info.
Are these two questions related?

Can you provide a picture of the switch?

My 1997 HR Endeavor, has a switch somewhere near the console (according to the owner's manual) that allows override of the slide safety switch if the slide fails to come in. I've never looked for the switch so I can't comment on it's actual location. I'll check the manual when I'm at the RV ... probably Wednesday.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The switch simply picks the isolator solenoid and bridges your house batteries to your chassis battery to assist in starting the engine.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
The switch simply picks the isolator solenoid and bridges your house batteries to your chassis battery to assist in starting the engine.
Why would the battery boost switch be "hidden behind the left side of the console drawer" and not plainly marked on the dashboard?

Bob & Donna
Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Idea's.....

Quote:
Hello and welcome, Is the switch in question a "override" switch to allow the engine to start with the slide out?
Does it not start with the slide "in" also sometimes?
Some mfg.'s install a contact switch so the engine cannot start with the slide out.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My 82 has the button right next to the key. If I run the battery's down or dead, I can push the button and then turn the key and I have juice to start the rig.
Is this what you mean?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

Smile sensors/switches

Thanks for all the input. As it turns out it is a slide-out override switch allowing the engine to be started with the slide-out extended. With all that we have been learning, we just didn't make the connection. Next question: There are indicator lights on the dash showing when the antenna is up or the compartment doors under the slide-out are up but they don't work. I have located switches/sensors in those locations. They are about 2" long, 1/2" diameter,with 2 wires. Does anyone know what these are called and where I can buy replacements.
jrburch1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you checked for continuity at the switch? A multimeter is your friend in this kind of problem. Also check the lights on the dash. You'll first have to figure out if the switch controls (+) or ground. You could do this by seeing how the light gets activated. Also, are all the doors 'daisy chained' in the circuit or individually wired?

Bob & Donna
Old 12-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. As it turns out it is a slide-out override switch allowing the engine to be started with the slide-out extended. With all that we have been learning, we just didn't make the connection. Next question: There are indicator lights on the dash showing when the antenna is up or the compartment doors under the slide-out are up but they don't work. I have located switches/sensors in those locations. They are about 2" long, 1/2" diameter,with 2 wires. Does anyone know what these are called and where I can buy replacements.
Next time, go vintage;
No slides
No heat in the basements
"TV antenna up" sticker on Dash
No sensors for storage compartments except when they fall and hit you in the head. because your arm gives out from holding them up so long.

Yes go Vintage...
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Next time, go vintage;
No slides
No heat in the basements
"TV antenna up" sticker on Dash
No sensors for storage compartments except when they fall and hit you in the head. because your arm gives out from holding them up so long.

Yes go Vintage...
We don't need no stinkin' warnings
Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #12

Bruce, I think that bypass switch is in the galley area somewhere? Behind a drawer maybe? Pressed once it's activated until the engine starts one time. I read about it, then found it, but too many miles and too much time elapsed to remember any more about it.... It's in the owners manual though.

Regarding the switches that activate the alarms/lights for the antenna and doors, those are mercury switches. When the switch is tipped one way, the mercury rolls to the end of the tube and shorts 2 contacts together to close the circuit. Tipped the other way, there's an open circuit. I've never seen or heard of one going bad. It's always the circuit going to/from them - or the sensor itself has been bent or come undone somehow.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Bruce, I think that bypass switch is in the galley area somewhere? Behind a drawer maybe? Pressed once it's activated until the engine starts one time. I read about it, then found it, but too many miles and too much time elapsed to remember any more about it.... It's in the owners manual though.

Regarding the switches that activate the alarms/lights for the antenna and doors, those are mercury switches. When the switch is tipped one way, the mercury rolls to the end of the tube and shorts 2 contacts together to close the circuit. Tipped the other way, there's an open circuit. I've never seen or heard of one going bad. It's always the circuit going to/from them - or the sensor itself has been bent or come undone somehow.
I keep forgetting to look for the switch. If I remember correctly, the manual had a description but no picture/drawing. Another "to do".
Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Also, If the slide malfunctions and won't slide in, is there a way to manually slide it in? Thanks for any info.
If yours operates like mine, it has an electric motor underneath in the storage comp. You should be able to get to the motor and gears and loosen such to manually put the slide ine. Never tried it but I am sure it will work. My take a couple of guys to do it.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler