Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #1

1999 Dutch star automatic transfer switch problems

On my transfer switch there is the"from power cord" coming in and above that it goes to"load center". Next to that switch I've got"from generator" above that is where the cover plate reads"do not use" except mine is wired up with jumper wires going to the other switch were it goes to the"load center". Now my question is ,should I be concerned with it or is it ok for it to be connected this way?
Ellisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #2

Sound pretty much like the way my switch is wired .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135 (480x640).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	320247  
Old 03-05-2021, 10:06 PM   #3

BTW : Welcome to iRV2 and the Vintage Newmar family .

Is your coach on a Freightliner or Spartan chassis?

Is you ATS still the original Todd Engineering unit ?
Old 03-06-2021, 02:24 AM   #4

The ATS switch manafacture can use them, the do not use is for the installer.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #5

Okay now this picture helps. Is the green light supposed to shine when it's plugged in to shore power or when the generators on? When I've got mine plugged into power at my house there's a loud buzzing from there. When I first got the rig everything seemed to work fine and now I can I have to turn the key on and jump it from from a starter. I've been trying to trace where the problem is I still haven't had any luck is it a safety switch or solenoid I'm still having trouble.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #6

Thanks for the welcome and yes it's the original Todd automatic transfer switch and it's on a Spartan Chassis
Old 03-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #7

Ok my ATS will buzz occasionally , usually an indication of low volts in the shore power . BUT , with the power off ( both gen set and shore power) you could use a non flammable contact cleaner spray , an push the sliding portion of each side in several times , then allow plenty of time for the spray fumes to vent before installing the cover.
I've got the original ATS users manual in the coach , I've never had the cover off when on generator , so I'll have to read up on the led.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellisd View Post
Okay now this picture helps. Is the green light supposed to shine when it's plugged in to shore power or when the generators on? When I've got mine plugged into power at my house there's a loud buzzing from there. When I first got the rig everything seemed to work fine and now I can I have to turn the key on and jump it from from a starter. I've been trying to trace where the problem is I still haven't had any luck is it a safety switch or solenoid I'm still having trouble.
Here's the page from the Todd owners manual , with info on the light.

Now ; I'd like some more info on your statement " I have to turn the key on and jump it from a starter . " ??
What system are you having to jump ?
Are you having to use the boost switch on the dash to start the engine ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Transfer switch 5.pdf (1.05 MB, 56 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
On my transfer switch there is the"from power cord" coming in and above that it goes to"load center". Next to that switch I've got"from generator" above that is where the cover plate reads"do not use" except mine is wired up with jumper wires going to the other switch were it goes to the"load center". Now my question is ,should I be concerned with it or is it ok for it to be connected this way?
Yes, yours is wired correctly. Lower left is generator input to generator contactor (left side). When the generator side energizes, it puts power to the top of the left side which is jumped to the top of the right side where the wires to the coach are located. Right side shore power contactor is deenergized when generator is on.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #10

I'm sorry I didn't clarify that I meant that I can't start my coach from my key anymore. I have to turn the key on and then jump it from my starter because when I try to turn my key on an alarm goes off.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't clarify that I meant that I can't start my coach from my key anymore. I have to turn the key on and then jump it from my starter because when I try to turn my key on an alarm goes off.
Couple of things. First, Todd engineering switches will catch fire. Todd went out of business due to this. Second, what alarm? Which light comes on when the key is on?
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #12

Alright , as Fefanatic has asked , which alarm .
If , I'm understanding your post , you turn the ignition switch " on " , and there is no alarm , but when you turn the ignition switch, further, to the start position, an alarm starts to sound , BUT, the engine doesn't crank over , and you have to go directly to the starter and power up the solenoid there.
AND , when you do start the motor by jumping the solenoid at the starter there is no alarm ( or you're under the coach and you don't hear it ) ?

The only unusual thing about an alarm when starting a diesel pusher is that , in your case , the alarm doesn't start to sound as soon as you turn the key " ON ".
It waits till you try and crank the engine over to start.
Is the trans shifter , lit up and displaying " N " ?

Low air pressure ; alarm and light ; will continue , even after the engine starts, till minimum pressure has built up.
Jacks down , park brake not set , at least three alarms are possible .
When my coach has been sitting for over a week and I first start up , my DW goes out and stands 50' away because there is so much noise from the dash alarms .

Tags
1999, dutch star, ems, problem, problems, switch, transfer switch