Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2023, 07:23 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
1st time buyer

Hi
I知 new here I知 looking for advice I知 looking to purchase a 2002 Damon intruder Would this be a wise purchase?
Rosey4123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2023, 07:43 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Only yoiu can make the decision to buy, but suggest hiring an rv inspector to survey the rv before you purchase........just did that prior to the purchase of a new fifth wheel trailer.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We are glad you joined us. There is a wealth of RV info available to you here just by asking. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions as our members like to help when they can.

Keep us posted on your search for the right rig for you. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We池e sure glad you joined the gang here!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Impossible to answer without tons more information about your travel plans, your wants & needs for space & amenities, the condition of the coach, and even your finances.
Some basics:
  • It's 21 years old, so some things are old & maybe a bit tired. Not just automotive things either, cause it's a furnished house. The condition is all-important. Since you appear to lack experience with RVs, obtaining a professional inspection would be a wise move.
  • The Intruder was a lower level unit in its day - the Daybreak was its higher end (and higher priced) sister. I'm not saying it's no good - just trying to set your expectation at the right level.
  • Like a house, any RV has to be chosen to have enough space and equipment to suit the needs of its occupants. You didn't tell us the size of your family (including pets) or where you expect to travel or for how long.
  • Details, like how long, how wide, does it have slides, etc. And the price.
  • How comfortably does the price fit in your budget? Motorhomes are expensive to operate and repair, especially if you have to pay an RV shop to do most everything. You really need to plan ahead for potentially large expenses. For example, a set of 6 tires could easily run to $3000.
This 2002 Intruder brochure should help you learn a bit more about this coach.
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2002_intruder.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Impossible to answer without tons more information about your travel plans, your wants & needs for space & amenities, the condition of the coach, and even your finances..........

This 2002 Intruder brochure should help you learn a bit more about this coach.
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2002_intruder.pdf
According to the info in the brochure Gary provided, all 5 floor plans are on a 22,000 pound GVWR gasoline powered front engine chassis made by either Ford or Workhorse. Given a choice, I would chose the Workhorse W-22 chassis because of the 8.1L GM motor and 5 speed Allison transmission, because that is a better drivetrain (IN MY OPINION) than the Ford V-10 and Ford tranny. Almost all the rest of the chassis components are comparable.

Mileage driven and condition of the coach and no evidence of any water damage should be at the top of your list.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:41 PM   #7

I've owned 2 Damon intruders. Depending on year, model, chassis and options they aren't bad. Some are lacking in useful amenities. Your question is too vague to give you a helpful answer.

Never under any circumstances buy an RV without a PROFESSIONAL evaluation. I do this for a living, and I see so many horror stories.

If it's the ford F53 chassis, there's some very important things to have PROFESSIONALLY evaluated.

First, it will need the roof resurfaced. It has a rolled EPDM roof that deteriorates.
Second, focus on how will you use it, and will it suit you?

Second third etc you need a full mechanical evaluation on the chassis, generator, ac units and electrical systems.

Go drive it! If you like it, and all the stuff works, then have it evaluated.

I'll look for your reply to see how I can contribute.
rollinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Given a choice, I would chose the Workhorse W-22 chassis because of the 8.1L GM motor and 5 speed Allison transmission, because that is a better drivetrain (IN MY OPINION)t.
The workhorse is far superior to the f53 Ford chassis! I owned a 2001 Intruder on the F53 as well as a 2003 Winnebago adventurer with the w22 workhorse.

The w22 is better in every way I could think to evaluate it!
rollinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:05 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Thank you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinj View Post
The workhorse is far superior to the f53 Ford chassis! I owned a 2001 Intruder on the F53 as well as a 2003 Winnebago adventurer with the w22 workhorse.

The w22 is better in every way I could think to evaluate it!
Yes I intended on having inspections done. I will be spending time alone in this RV in Langley BC not too much travelling but I will spend a considerable amount of time in it parked on private property Any suggestions as to what kind of unit would suit me best. I would not have electrical or water it would be more like boon docking. Thanks everyone
Rosey4123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey4123 View Post
Yes I intended on having inspections done. I will be spending time alone in this RV in Langley BC not too much travelling but I will spend a considerable amount of time in it parked on private property Any suggestions as to what kind of unit would suit me best. I would not have electrical or water it would be more like boon docking. Thanks everyone
Without easy access to water and electricity, not to mention a sewer connection for wastewater disposal, I'm not sure any type of RV is ideal, but I don't know your whole situation. Generally speaking, if it isn't going to be driven regularly, a MH isn't the best choice.

A trailer without all the "running gear" that any motorhome will have, may be a lower cost alternative. However, you will need a mode of transportation to bring all the basic necessities to a trailer, whereas you could drive a MH to empty the holding tanks and re-fill the fuel supply for the generator to produce the electricity you will need. The propane tank will also need frequent refills for keeping you warm and running your refrigerator.

All the above seems to favor a MH, but you definitely don't need a DP, because they are best suited to much longer travels, and not well suited for short trips to take care of the necessities mentioned above.
Good luck with your decision.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 04:08 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You need to give us much more info that you've supplied so far for us to provide advice,

I do agree w/Ed. If you are just parking it, then any motorized RV is not what you want. Those are meant to be driven, not sitting for years on end. For sitting, get a TT, 5-r or park model. The only reason I can see having a motorized RV is for the convenience of being able to move it quickly when you want to dump tanks/fill water & propane. Not having access to any type of hookups for lengthy periods while you are on your spot may be problematic. How are you planning on getting water, propane or electricity to charge the RV batteries?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:09 AM   #12

While I agree with a trailer buying better if not traveling . The current market for a nice clean 3/4- 1ton truck is still crazy. Especially with buyers willing to pay 10-25k over MSRP just to get a new one. Some Ford Dealers are selling new as used certified to bypass Ford attempt control their prices.
Check all the websites for fair prices and PPL has a way to see what used were sold for. The older a MH the closer higher and lower level models sell for.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't buy a big truck either if I wasn't towing the trailer regularly. Pay a delivery service to bring it where (and when) needed. It's not cheap, but neither is a big pickup or a motorhome chassis.

Forgive me (and others) for voicing alarm about your plans, but living in an RV in an isolated area without water/electric/sewer is challenging for anybody and newcomers to RVs rarely have any notion of what it takes, how much effort is involved, and how uncomfortable it can be in winter. Or even bad weather in the summer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:55 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
...Forgive me (and others) for voicing alarm about your plans, but living in an RV in an isolated area without water/electric/sewer is challenging for anybody and newcomers to RVs rarely have any notion of what it takes, how much effort is involved, and how uncomfortable it can be in winter. Or even bad weather in the summer.
I agree, Gary. On paper, it all seems easy & a cheap way to live. It's not.

Check out this member's blogs for just what can/does go wrong for someone new to RV's who didn't now what they were getting into:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/members/misjudg-306503.html
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote