Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #1

I just purch. a 2000 Journey. It is winter mode in storage. While reading the book last night I noticed the listing for switches for the electric water heater and the engine heater were backwards from what is listed on the switches in the RV. In the RV above the washer dryer the switch on the left is named engine heater??? Which is which? Thanks
bchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #2

I just purch. a 2000 Journey. It is winter mode in storage. While reading the book last night I noticed the listing for switches for the electric water heater and the engine heater were backwards from what is listed on the switches in the RV. In the RV above the washer dryer the switch on the left is named engine heater??? Which is which? Thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome bchristo to irv2.
Not sure this LINK can help you but its a start. Here is another LINK I found that maybe of help.
You can try the resources tab also.
This wiring diagram maybe what your looking for.
I'll short cut your question down to Winnebago forum to get some more answers for you.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #4

Thanks, I will look at. I figure too the next time I go see the RV (in storage) I will just flip one of the switches and see if the engine heats up. obviously I don't want to be turning on the water heater as it is empty due to winter storage. Thanks, BC
Old 12-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi BC, welcome to the forum!

I would trust the labeling of the switches in the MH. Minor changes are made during the production year and I doubt the manual is edited each time. Most likely they print up gobs of manuals at the beginning of the year. I know my manual has several errors.

You might want to wait till you have water in the heater since you don't know for sure what you're turning on. Incidentally, the engine heater plugs into a receptacle in the power hookup compartment. It's usually unplugged until needed. The switch just controls the receptacle - lots of folks use it to control outside decorative lights, etc. You might want to find that receptacle and plug in a work light for a quick test.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #6
RLS

Go to the engine heater receptacle, with a volt meter and have someone throw the switches to check which one works the circuit, should be located in the driver side rear compartment. If you don't have a volt meter you can use any 110 volt light. Back when we bought our 2000 Journey (we now have an 02) we found that the water heater would not work on electric. After the techs had pulled the heater out and checked for voltage they found that the switches were labeled wrong. Water heater = engine heater, engine heat = water heater. They had wasted the better part of a day trying to trouble shoot the problem. It was just a case of mislabeled switches. They reinstalled the water heater and relabeled the switches. Everything worked fine.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:30 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the engine recepticle..I will definitly check out. I for some reason get the feeling they are labeled backwards on the switches - which could be bad cause as I was did, the previous owners probably used the switch to preheat the engine. They may have used it often. It gets cold in Indiana. I just bought the RV a couple weeks ago. I would turn on the gen. flip the switch that said engine and I noticed some amps would read as going thru the "one stop" or whatever it's called panel. Elec. was going somewhere??? I will check it out. Thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 06:40 AM   #8

Hooray! I just got back from testing the recepticle and even though the switches are backward from manual they are properly marked - Thanks forum for your help. Rookie