Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #1

2000 motorhome pitfalls

We looked at a 2000 DP, MH that has 23,xxx miles, has been sitting in a garage for 3 years because the owner is to frail to drive. The tires date code is 2208, the interior is very good. We are wondering about what can happen when it is put on the road again. We will buy an extended service contract W/gaskets and seals ad-on) Apparently the only time it was driven, he drove it to NASCAR races, judging by the stickers (Darlington) on the windows. The rear hitch appears like it was never used.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The tires should be fine for a couple of years but I would look over them really good for cracking.

As for the service contract, I don't think you will be able to find one that will cover a 2000 model coach. When mine ran out last year they would not renew.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #3

XtraRide will cover a 2000 coach. I believe Good Sam will also. We had Good Sam on ours before we cancelled it and went with XtraRide.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

OK, in addition to engine, and transaxle, gaskets and seals(which may be dried-out) what should I look for in this coach that was parked in a barn for several years? It was not even started during storage by the looks of the generator-which has raccoon feces on it. I've already instructed CW to closely inspect the underside, engine compartment and behind the front cap for raccoon damage. I know they are most destructive if they get in a building, hopefully they have not destroyed anything under the MH, I'll find out this week. I told CW we will NOT sign a contract until after a complete cleaning and repair of any damages.
The paperwork man said we may buy an extended service contract W/ gaskets and seals included from Good Sam Club.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 04-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #5

Modern seals and gaskets don't dry out. The days of tar-soaked rope-seals are long gone.

sometimes seals leak when first used after sitting. They take a "set" and require pressure from the various fluids to re-establish a seal. I have an annular clutch that leaks all winter, until I step on the clutch and the o-rings are forced back against the bores, and all is right again.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #6

Do a major service on the coach, meaning all fluids and filters. Start fresh.

Since it was sitting for a couple years, look for any signs of critter nests. They can start fires.

I wouldn't be afraid of a coach that was sitting for a couple years. I would do a full service on it before driving it any significant distance.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would change the oil and fluids for the engine, transmission, generator , engine coolant and brake fluid flush. Also inspect and probably change the engine drive belt(s). Pull the wheels and check the brakes and lubricate the caliper slide pins.

And last go have some fun.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
Modern seals and gaskets don't dry out. The days of tar-soaked rope-seals are long gone.

sometimes seals leak when first used after sitting. They take a "set" and require pressure from the various fluids to re-establish a seal. I have an annular clutch that leaks all winter, until I step on the clutch and the o-rings are forced back against the bores, and all is right again.
Tell that to my friend with an 04 Newmar Essex. He just had some of the engine (500HP Cummins) seals replaced under his extended service contract. I forget the number, but he said it was more than the cost of the contract. That is the main reason for our concerns, this 2000 has a 350HP Cummins.
Ken, As it turns out, we may not get this MH, I just located it on the internet (at the same CW,same stock#) for $5,000 less than what they quoted us. Tomorrow will be interesting_; I'm going to give them a choice, 6 new Michelins, a full tank of diesel, and complete fluids + filters change (including coolant system) or a price reduction of $5,000 per their internet ads. This MH is a consignment unit so I know CW planned on pocketing the $5 grand. There is too much of a used MH glut to take a beating on one.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I just located it on the internet (at the same CW,same stock#) for $5,000 less than what they quoted us.
That situation sounds extremely familiar
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #10

I would contact cummins or talk to a certified tech. What would worry me is what is difficult to see. Cylinder rust. If the engine has not ran for 3 years, it is likely a few valves were left open and it may allowed for moisture to settle in the cylinder and induce rust. I have seen it on a light duty truck diesel a few years ago. The state parks only used this truck for winter snow plowing only. They never followed the owners guide to start it once a month for a warm up cycle. Some of the cylinders rusted and caused low compression. The Cummins cylinders may be more robust but I think it would be worth while to check into it.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #11

CW stepped up. I phoned my salesman this morning about the $5K price drop. He said it was from corporate, the local RV sales had no control, and we will get the $5K price reduction. That's great, it will pay for setting-up the towed brake-controller, wiring, base-plate and tow-bar, plus a complete fluids change, all filters for the MH. Our test-drive is Wed., we will drive the MH about 100 miles (salesman OK'd) on the interstate to test steering/handling and ride in addition to how the powertrain performs.

James, my local Cummins authorized repair center is on the list of to-do items prior to signing. Don't know how much the dyno-test will cost but it is worth the peace of mind.
Filling the 150G diesel tank is gonna hurt, at least the first time_. I'll dose it with fuel system cleaner/water remover too.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Ray: If it's been sitting with old fuel, have CW drain the tank, even if you pay for the refill. All the other maintenance and set up sounds great.
Enjoy...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
If it has been stored in a barn, I wouldn't be so concerned about gaskets and such but I would be worried about mice and rats. They can wreak havoc with wiring, hoses, etc plus their pee stinks like crazy and they pee everywhere.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If it has been stored in a barn, I wouldn't be so concerned about gaskets and such but I would be worried about mice and rats. They can wreak havoc with wiring, hoses, etc plus their pee stinks like crazy and they pee everywhere.
That is one of our big concerns. We instructed the salesman to have CW service dept. inspect the entire wiring, engine compartment, generator area (including firewall area), etc. for rodent damage of any kind.
The test drive is about 100 miles, which we will do prior to the complete servicing, which includes total fluids and filters change.

Hooligan I am not concerned with old diesel fuel. CW drove this MH from Terre Haute, IN to Indianapolis a few weeks ago. I inherited an old Case diesel tractor from my FIL, which had been parked in a fence row for who knows how many years. I drained the tank then I poured in a whole bottle of fuel treatment, replaced the fuel, installed new battery, and it started with about 30 seconds of cranking, although it smoked badly until it warmed-up.

Tags
motorhome