Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2004 Journey dash radio powering off and on

On my trip last week the dash radio began to repeatedly power on and off in two second cycles while setup with shore power. The radio power source was set to AUX. I shut power off to the radio until I got home and could further analyze the problem. I performed the following the test conditions -

The radio will repeatedly power on and off in these conditions -
- Radio power source AUX while connected to shore power
- Radio power source AUX while disconnected to shore power
- Radio power source AUX with the generator running
- Radio power source Main with the key in the accessory position

The radio works as expected in these condition -
- With the engine running and the radio power source in AUX
- With the engine running and the radio power source in Main
* However when the dash volt meter display bounces below 13 volts the radio will power off and on until the volt meter display bounces up above 13 volts.

I checked the both the engine and house batteries voltage on the monitor panel and both batteries show over 13 volts. I also recently had the alternator replaced because the prior alternator froze.

I am in search of what steps to take next to resolve this problem.

Thanks for your help.
pvictor189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2022, 11:31 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What brand radio....Magnadyne?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:48 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have read many posts about how defective (brand-unknown) radios would turn themselves On and kill the chassis battery, (phantom load on chassis battery) but never radio issue like yours. BUT, first thought on yours is radio AUX Power source is COACH, so WHY is CONVERTER dropping below 13.2vdc on shoreline? 2) WHY is radio dropping out? It should stay ON down to 8-10-volt, maybe lower? I would triple check converter and coach batteries and connections? CHECK FOR RELAY CHATTER at the IRD/BIRD (if equipped?) & CHARGE SOLENOID? (As solenoid contacts go bad, they can THUNK, yet NOT connect) Good Luck

There may also be a CUBE RELAY used to select the radio power source with flaky contacts?
Old 04-14-2022, 07:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Radio brand

The radio is the Pioneer DEH-P47DH.

Other data points are the house batteries are 2 years old the chassis batteries are 8 years old. All battery posts are clean.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The AUX power source is the house batteries. The alternative to AUX is Main which are the engine batteries. I have checked for and did not find a radio relay.

I did notice on our current trip the radio will work as expected with the power source AUX after driving. I did not test for how long the AUX mode will work before beeping. I am not seeing any other electrical issues with the coach.

Tags
dash, journey, power, radio