Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #1
DWM

Hello Folks,
Need your input please. I am about to order this coach, 2008 Damon Astoria 3776 (Bunk Bed Model), but have received some PMs telling me negative feedback on Damon. I am a research nut and have not found support for this since the quality initiative started in 2003. Before 2003, yes, bad. Some problems still exist like on all brands, but no huge issues have I found.

We are upgrading from a Jayco class C and need more room because of arrival of our 3rd boy a few years ago... just ready to move up. We would like a Bunk Model Class A, with 2 couches. So we looked around at Newmar, Winni, Damon, Fleetwood, Seneca, etc,etc. and then I found out that I could have a 2008 diesel pusher for around $125 - $130K. Hmm, this would allow me to skip the gasser class A and get into a low-end pusher... but for 2008, it has the new ISB 340/660 engine with 6 speed. Bunk model pushers are only sold in the Allstar, Valencia, Ventana, and Astoria. Newmars are $50K higher nomatter what model I look at. Mandalay Valencia is the same price, but no dealer in my area. Tiffin doesnt have a bunk model.

Is there anything I need to know that is a show stopper here??? Is the company going under and I will be left holding the bag? Is there another forum where I can read about all the problems? I did a search, but most folks are happy since 2003.

Thanks very much for your response... big step for us, but looking forward to fun and spreading out a bit this summer!!

DWM

2008 Damon Astoria 3776
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
DWM

Hello Folks,
Need your input please. I am about to order this coach, 2008 Damon Astoria 3776 (Bunk Bed Model), but have received some PMs telling me negative feedback on Damon. I am a research nut and have not found support for this since the quality initiative started in 2003. Before 2003, yes, bad. Some problems still exist like on all brands, but no huge issues have I found.

We are upgrading from a Jayco class C and need more room because of arrival of our 3rd boy a few years ago... just ready to move up. We would like a Bunk Model Class A, with 2 couches. So we looked around at Newmar, Winni, Damon, Fleetwood, Seneca, etc,etc. and then I found out that I could have a 2008 diesel pusher for around $125 - $130K. Hmm, this would allow me to skip the gasser class A and get into a low-end pusher... but for 2008, it has the new ISB 340/660 engine with 6 speed. Bunk model pushers are only sold in the Allstar, Valencia, Ventana, and Astoria. Newmars are $50K higher nomatter what model I look at. Mandalay Valencia is the same price, but no dealer in my area. Tiffin doesnt have a bunk model.

Is there anything I need to know that is a show stopper here??? Is the company going under and I will be left holding the bag? Is there another forum where I can read about all the problems? I did a search, but most folks are happy since 2003.

Thanks very much for your response... big step for us, but looking forward to fun and spreading out a bit this summer!!

DWM

2008 Damon Astoria 3776
Old 03-29-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

DWM, WELCOME to iRV2!!

I have linked your post to the newly created Damon Owner's Forum here on iRV2 with hopes that someone will come along and have some answers for you...

I can assure you that Thor Industries, the parent company of Damon and other model coaches, is in NO danger of "going under" ask you inquire...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
DWM,
I think you may find that the responses to this will vary a great deal. That being said, here are my 2 pennies...

We bought our coach in February of this year (so it is fairly new) and have only had a few minor issues (drawer was not staying closed, wallpaper border not staying glued, loose connection on the TV controller, etc.). Overall we have been extremely satisfied with Damon and we have been using it often (already has 5,000 miles).

I would highly recommend a Damon coach.

Happy hunting.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #5

DWM, Hi I presently own the gas version with the bunk house section. I can tell you that we are very pleased with our damon. The wife and I looked for a coach for about 4 months trying to determine layout and quality. I will not make any side by side comparisons as everyone of us has our reasons and opinions. I will state that for the MONEY spent I think we got all the options we wanted at a fare price. We too fell in love with the double sofa layout and the bunk house (3 kids as well). I would suggest that you drive them flop around in them for as long as the dealer will allow with out chargeing you rent and chose from there.

W&D+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #6

I spent six months researching last year and finally purchased a 2007 Damon Astoria in October.

I have kids too and needed a bigger Class A and wanted a diesel pusher vs the V10 that we had.

I don't think you will go wrong with Damon. I think it is well thought out and fulfills most of our requirements.

It is also a great value for your RV dollar. It has most everything that the big boys have at a more reasonable price.

Make sure that your dealer spends the time to work out any issues BEFORE you take possession. My dealer asked to have the time to test every component and it was worth the wait for them to fix the "little" things.

We are truly delighted with the coach, the company and the dealer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dr.Diode
Dr. Diode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This question was asked and answered in another forum and I will re-type my answer here.

I drive a 2005 Intruder, Yes, I have had a few issues with it (It came, for example, with the optional Self Removing Windshield, now I did not order that option so I re-visited the factory and had them remove it)

The factory was great, they worked with me and took me in on MY schedule instead of making me make a special trip down there. I've made two trips there, one for the windshield (Stayed 3 days, they provide 30 amp hookups for us and we worked it out so the drive was only 30 miles) The other for a part, they did not have a new one on hand to they put a used one one FREE (I just stopped in to get the part, Planned on putting it on myself, only 7 screws and you don't need a hoist or anything, it's all stand up work)

Every company will produce a lemon, And there will be people posting on the forums about what a lemon their _______ is (fill in the blank).

Likewise every company will turn one out that is about as close to perfect as possible, you may find folks posting about how great their _______ (Same blank) is though people ticked off are more likely to post.

But when it comes to getting negative feedback on any given brand... Count on it, it will happen.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also had one of those self removing windshields,as well as several other items.Sometimes it is not all the factory's fault,sometimes its the lousy dealer too. We have a 2002 Intruder that we had several issues ,which the dealer was to correct when we purchased it, but the dealer closed overnight 2 months later. I have since corrected all my issues, with out Damons assistance. I have heard that since Thor took over the factory is alot more customer friendly. When I discussed my issues,one being the windshield they denied any assistance.Said they "NEVER had that problem".we know better.anyway our motorhome is OK now. and we do enjoy the way its layed out. MY only real problem is the previous management did not believe in customer retention,sounds like the new people do care. Good luck with your new one. let us know if you have questions later on, this is a continuing education experience.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #9

Hi DWM,

We have a 2006 Damon Tuscany 4076. Love it! We love it so much, we have on order a new 2007 Tuscany 4055 arriving sometime in May.

We have had the usual problems with things being loose, rattle and shakes, bolts and screws needing tightening etc etc. Had a leak under the sink and everything has been fixed by service dept. all under warranty without any hassles.

If the floor plan you have chosen suits your purpose, the price of the MH is in your price range and all the amentities/options are on it..........then GO FOR IT!!

Buying the right MH is important, who you buy it from is just as important. They are the ones that you will be dealing with if and when you have issues.

With any purchase you make, when the the MH is delivered (PDI) you make sure you go through it from top to bottom and front to back. Turn EVERYTHING on/off. Open all cabinets & drawers. Don;t leave anything untouched. Video tape it if you can, this is a must. It always comes in handy when you have to go back and refer to something in question.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #10

We have a 2006 Daybreak 3272. Purchased it in April of 06. We love it. We have had no major issues other than a Hydraulic hose recall, which was handled quickly and professionally by the dealer. Damon has handled themselves well. We would recommend Damon.

Good Luck
Old 03-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
DWM,
I would be curious where you are getting this deal and is it the Pacific Edition? I was just checking the MSRP on the Astoria's and they range from 154K-161K or 172K-179K for the Pacific.

Thanks,
Old 03-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
DWM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Good input!

Kuldaddy,
This is for the base model, but it has 4500 in options added plus an $8000 charge for the 2008 engine/chassis changes. The MSRP is going to be around $180K with these options in 2008.

2008 Damon Astoria 3776
Old 04-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #13

As to Kuldaddy's question about pricing on the Damon Astoria, we purchased our Astoria Model 3774, Pacific Edition, New with only mileage from the factory to Oklahoma City, OK for less than $144K. That price was gross. We then had our trade-in on top of that.
Dr. Diode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #14

I have owned a Damon Ultrasport for seven years. The Ultrasport is the predecessor of the Astoria. I have had great luck with mine with nothing significant to repair after the warranty expired. The warranty repairs were not excessive. If I were to buy another MH it would be a Newmar because their quality is much better. With Damon you might get a good one or not. Several cases have emerged in forums where Damon would not correct warranty issues when they became major in cost.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote