Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #15

I have an 08' Expedition with the 320 Cummins ISB. The dash temp gauge only shows hash marks. My temperature climbs to the 3/4 mark then back down between 1/2 and 3/4 mark. Repeats process about every 8-10 minutes while driving on interstate. I spoke to Cummins and FL about the fluctuation and they said this is completely normal. FL then inform me that a series of different lights will begin to come on if engine was running hot. Seems strange to me but these new motors are smarter than us now.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Togators is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:17 AM   #16

I'm just not happy with ANYTHING FL has to say.
There has to be a coverup here somewhere.
I live in Florida but I don't spend much time in the Noon-Day SUN.......also "within specified limits".
My mechanic has ordered and installed an auxiliary cooling fan behind the radiator.
They are twin 13 1/2" puller fans, variable speed and adjustable thermostat. We have determined that the fans will come on at 182 degrees [ about 60% ] and build to 100% at 194 degrees. These bad boys are capable of moving 6,600 cfm for consistent cooling.
Just in case we installed a manual switch on the dash, for over-ride. When the coach is turned off the fans continue to run until the unit reaches the desired and pre-set temperature.

Too bad FL couldn't figure this out.
capt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:44 AM   #17

Togators........
FYI. You can monitor the engine temp. on the information center in the dash.
The FL manual will be helpful to program it to watch the temp.
I also bought a digital readout that plugs into the service plug......mine is just right of the steering column and below the dash.
Both guages register within 2 degrees of the other.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:21 AM   #18

It does sound like you have a problem. Although the On/Off fan method of cooling does not appeal to me, it does seem to be the design that Freightliner and Damon came up with. You realize that Freightliner builds its chassis to the specs of the MH manufacturers, so Damon might have had a hand in the fan spec. The loud noise might be something to focus on. An out of balance fan could be a problem. My extensive experience with Freightliner has been excellent. I still recommend driving to Gaffney and having them look at it. No matter how much you tell them on the phone nothing matches their having hands on. Going to Gaffney would be such a step up from any dealer it would be hard to describe.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #19

The temp gauge on my 400 ISL goes up to 3/4 on the temp gauge and falls back down to around 1/2 when cruising at 110 KM per hour. The temp display line on the information center does not exceed 99 degrees C (normal). It appears that the temp gauge is not very accuate. You probably do not have a issue.
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 AM   #20

My analysis of the ROOT problem is that the fan clutch should respond to the temp. as it RISES.
My aux. fans now sense the heat rising and respond in an adjustable manner. I have found that the design of my coach does not allow a free flow of air across the radiator, therefore we added +/- 4400 cfm of air to properly cool the radiator. This allows me to now maintain a constant operating tempeature.
I am stll testing......but, even with a loaded 4 horse trailer the temp stays at 186 degrees.
BTY......Horton is now shipping a variable speed fan clutch which FL should have used to begin with.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #21

There is a thread on rv.net that covers some of the same issues you have. It is here, rv.net.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Capt, I would be very interested in hearing more about yer retro fit for your aux fans,(Make, model, install method, pics, pics, pics)Thank you very much.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #23

Jestme 13.......
Would be happy to share. We are trying a few modifications to be ready for a 10 day trip starting the 28th thru Tenn.
So far on trips around town and w/ load the radiator hasn't exceeded 192 degrees.
It's begining to look like the Flex-a-lite # FLX-295 @ 4,600 cfm is quieter and has better controls. I have found that when the temp STARTS to rise at 188 this variable speed responds and maintains enough airflow to cool.
Check out Summit Racing online.
Photos will take a week or so.....when done.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:39 AM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
A very interesting project Capt. This could be the answer many people are looking for.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #25

The electric fans appear to be doing the job, but what about the current and load on the alternator. That has to be very large. Any assessment of the affect on alternator life?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:57 AM   #26

JWalker,
The assembly is rated at between 14 to 24 amps.
This is easily within the limits, I'm told.
Plus the alt. will be running cooler due to the constant airflow now in the engine compartment. The inverse question would be how much damage is being done to an alternator when ths heat gets up to 216 degrees...?
OOPS, I almost forgot to tell ya' with the fans on; the intercooler [ which is behind the radiator ] is showing a drop of almost 30 degrees. Now I'm no Mechanic, but cooler air into the turbo is what the intercooler was intended for. I think?
Pretty COOL.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #27

Hi guys. Pretty new here. I have a 2008 Forest River Charleston 41dst with a freightliner xc 400ISL cummins. We live in Tampa,Fl and we took the coach on a trip to Stone Mountain, Ga.last month, i was keeping the eye on my temp gauge and the faster i go the hotter it got, if i did up to 72 mph it will stay in the middle. but if i was up to 80 or more it would rise to between the middle of the gauge and 3/4, never made it to 3/4 on the gauge. I know is a bit crazy to go that fast on a rig that size, i was just trying the coach. Just remember the higher the RPM in the motor the more temp it will produce since diesel engines work specifically on heat to compress that diesel fuel the best and get a good cobustion like efect. All this is perfectly normal. Keep a eye on your RPM gauge and your Turbo Boost gauge and you will notice that the Turbo Boost gauge will go up and down sometimes depending on road conditions and elevations you won`t even see while the RPM will stay the same specially if you are on cruise control. This will also elevate your temperature a little bit wish is good, it is what is suposed to do. My two cents.
busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Sorry, I'm sorry I'm a little late to the party. I've been involved in this subject area since 2005 and IMHO know a lot about the rear cooling situation with FL. I might have saved some gnashing of teeth.

The Horton fan clutch in the FL application is solely controlled by the Cummins ECM (in this case) and not anything Freightliner specific. For whatever reason the Cummins ECM can only control the clutch as on/off from half speed (on) when below temp threshold to full speed (off) even though the clutch has a pulse based variable capability that would allow for more subtle operation.

Bottom line the major complaint in this thread everyone is screaming is Freightliner's problem is in fact Cummins problem. If you call Cummins you'll find there is a ECM flash update to fix this problem (i.e. negotiate the fan in a tighter temp range). If not then at least if enough of you call in maybe they'll wake up and produce an update.

Cummins has had problems before in this area. At the beginning of the 2008 model year several FL rigs were overheating because the fan was on full speed when cold and half-speed when hot (i.e. operation was backwards). Originally it was thought to be a wiring problem but it turned Cummins didn't pay attention to the FL and Horton specs and programmed the ECM backwards.

Also, the new Horton clutch capt cook cited wouldn't be of much value if Cummins can't program the ECM to use it.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote