Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2021, 06:02 AM   #1

2010 HR, No headlights w dead house batteries but good chassis and engine running.

I took my 2010 HR navigator to get tires and alignment dropped it off on a Sunday afternoon picked it up the next evening at 6. When starting engine to leave i had no dash lights and NO HEADLIGHTS. Chassis battery started coach right up. House batteries xantrx showed 9.7, but could not turn inverter on it showed fault. generator would not start even w jump button.
I know house batteries are dead and over 5 yrs old so will most likely need to replace.

BUT why do headlights not work if chassis batteries are great?
Also I don’t think my house battery switch at door works cuz anytime in past i push it house lights stay on what should i look for there also.
drtieperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #2

Your isolation solenoid may be bad. That let's the chassis battery charge the house batteries when the engine is running.
It's also the solenoid for the Boost function, which you say didn't work.
It's a common failure item.

Your Xantrex can't work if your batteries are that low. Holding the boost switch, or running the engine, would get it going by bringing up the voltage on the house batteries, but your solenoid doesn't work.

You have another separate problem if the dash/headlights don't work .

The house disconnect solenoid may be a latching type. If house stuff works, it's latched on.
It could be the solenoid or the switch by the door or wiring in between. It needs trouble shooting. If this rig is new to you, the last owner may have just put both cables on one post to jump it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #3

Do you have push pull HL switch. Check the HL switch and it's plug.
Check functions on smart wheel especially wipers if it's on wheel.
Has your remote battery disconnect ever worked? It could be bypassed . Rare, but solenoid relay could be stuck/welded closed.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #4

thanks for those replies, I have it scheduled for the shop. I did go and let the engine run for 1 hour, when starting the engine the headlights wouldnt come on. I was thinking a fuse. but still wanted the engine to run to see if that would charge the house batteries. sure enough it did and when turning the headlights on they worked and the house batteries showed 11.5v. I drove it home 1 hr at night and during that drive the headlights dimmed down about 5 different times but never went out. when I finally got home and plugged it up everything started to charge back up as normal.
My thought, main problem was Definitely house batteries ran down to low and has to take time to charge back up enough to be useable.
2nd, I have read in a couple areas that said those headlights are tied into a computer module and that is linked to the overall DC system of the coach. so if the house batteries go low then the headlights go out. and then it takes time for that computer to reset.
TWINBOAT, I still think your on to something w that isolation solenoid and will have the tech check that out, thankyou. I never boondock, but what is the standard time frame that house batteries last before needing to get them charged back up. Ive heard around 7 hr -12. I have 4 large house batteries.
drtieperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LATCHING SOLENOIDs used on many, use intermittent voltage (Not constant) from switch to change status ON/OFF/ON, but batteries have to be good to activate; also possible solenoids/ switches are bad; had to recently replace my BOOST solenoid, would CLUNK but not connect. It happens. Usually, Headlights on an AUTO-RESET CIRCUIT BREAKER for safety.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtieperman View Post
2nd, I have read in a couple areas that said those headlights are tied into a computer module and that is linked to the overall DC system of the coach.

so if the house batteries go low then the headlights go out. and then it takes time for that computer to reset.
ies.
There is no way that could meet any DOT rules. That's very unsafe.

You can't have headlights shut off because of a dead house battery.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis, engine, headlight, headlights, house batteries, light, lights