Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #1

2022 Ford E450 gas 7.3 engine upgrade

Wondering if anyone with one of these new 7.3 gas engines were able to increase the power of it to what it is rated at in the pickup truck?. In the RV chassis it's rated at 350hp, in a truck it's 435. Was told a reflash of the ecm may do it, if anyone was able to get it to the truck specs would like to hear about it.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2022, 08:06 PM   #2

5 star tuning tuned a 2021 Thor with the 7.3. There’s a article out there I think it was on TFL truck. They showed some good gains. I remember they said the stock tune removes power at 3900 rpm. They bumped it up to 4500 or 4600 I think.
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:19 PM   #3

I would just like to get to factory stock truck levels. I'm still under factory warranty
, was told a reflash would be undectable if it was in for service work, a different ecm or a programmer would leave a thumbprint in the ecm I think.
I could speak with 5-star and see what they say..
Old 05-20-2022, 07:36 PM   #4

Was contacted by Brazels, I previously had one of their ECM on a Kodiak RV and was very pleased with it. They are developing a programmer for this 7.3 gas engine. I am going to get one and help develop it with different tunes. They expect approx. 60-70 HP and 100 ft.lbs. tq. on 87 octane gas. I will post my results with it. That should yield approximately 410-420 hp and 568 ft. lbs. tq.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:43 AM   #5

Wanted to add an update on this tuner. I received the new Ultra power tune, have installed it and have been working with them to tweak the tune. I am on my second tune, seems like a very nice improvement. Throttle response is noticable, half throttle operation has higher shift points to allow vehicle to maintain speed without down shifting. I am towing a loaded 28' race car trailer behind the RV, 9000 lbs. I have reinforced my hitch and have the optional "easy drive" suspension package to enhance the towing ability.
This is quite noticable in all throttle positions, and according to my gas mileage monitor I have gained approximately 1+ mpg towing, have not checked with just the RV but I'm sure it's more. So far I'm really impressed with it's performance and have witnessed no problems or DTC warnings.
I think they have another winner here!
Old 06-29-2022, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
Wondering if anyone with one of these new 7.3 gas engines were able to increase the power of it to what it is rated at in the pickup truck?. In the RV chassis it's rated at 350hp, in a truck it's 435. Was told a reflash of the ecm may do it, if anyone was able to get it to the truck specs would like to hear about it.
What size and weight is your class C ?

The reason I ask is because no need for more HP unless you are big and heavy, my 2021 with the 7.3 is 25 foot long and weights 11,500 loaded and it has plenty of HP and gets great mpg as well.

So for me I don't want to change HP and get less MPG, I think the 7.3 in the E340/450 super duty has all the power one could want.

Best V-8 Ford has made in a long time

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-30-2022, 07:07 AM   #7

My RV is on the E450 chassis, 22,000 lbs. gvw, 32.5' long, empty weight is 12,500. As I stated in my post, I am also pulling a 28' long race car trailer that weighs 9000 lbs. I am getting at least 1+ better mpg towing the trailer, I'm sure it's more unloaded. This has improved throttle response, and enhanced shifting to help limit downshifting.
This is a good addition to what Ford created when they introduced the Godzilla V8. I am extremely pleased with the new Ford engine and enhanced chassis, and I am a many time previous GM chassis motorhome owner. This 2022 I purchased is my 45th motorhome in 34 years, from 16' to 42' long, gas and diesel. I have pretty much owned most everything.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Did you have to make any changes to the transmission for the extra weight?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:17 AM   #9

The program made changes to the transmission control, raised shift points at different throttle positions and raised the RPM before a downshift occurs due to the engine having more HP and 100 ft lbs. tq. Coach is able to pull more efficiently.
I am currently just under my RVs rated gvw rating.
This same engine and transmission when installed in a F450/550 pickup has a GCWR in excess of 30,000 lbs.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The reason Ford "de rates" the 7.3 in the E450 is due to cooling requirements, the F series have bigger frontal radiator area than the "E" series, F series have a larger radiator. The larger radiator could not be packaged into the E450.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:11 AM   #11

Same reasons that prevented other BB engines in class c motorhomes. I think that's why they didn't put the GM 8.1 in a C, would have been a good engine with the Allison.
I guess Ford was able to find a way to fit in a big block engine and keep it cool. So far I have seen no changes with temps or transmission temperature even when towing. I picked this up in January and have driven it to Florida and back to NY, and from NY to the Indiana boarder with no problems or changes to temps, 4500 miles thus far, was in the 90's a few times. Needle always stays the same, towing or not. Current radiator and water pump design is much more efficient now.

Tags
e450, engine, ford, gas, upgrade