Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2022, 11:25 PM   #1

30 amp / 6 volt Overcharging?

Hi all.

We were recently at a slightly rustic private campground with 30 amp service only in our 33’ gas Allegro Open Road with 4 in line 6 volt batteries - and a voltage conditioner connected between the service post and the RV. After being there a couple of days I was inside and purely by fluke noticed that I was sitting at 14.4 volts rather than the 13.5 that I had been up until then. No idea how long … possibly minutes, possibly hours. When I lifted the step tread to see if I had boiled over, I hadn’t, but I could hear a slight bubbling. I threw the breaker on the service post, waited a minute, and turned it back on with no further such incidents the remaining two days we were there .. stayed at 13.5 and without any apparent problem with the things running on electricity.
Wondering if anyone would have thoughts or comments as to what might have happened there. I did Google it and actually saw the specific 14.4 figure come up with regularity, but the technical aspect of most of it was above my head.
Any input would be appreciated!
LDM Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2022, 03:50 AM   #2

That you were plugged in to a 30 amp service doesn’t have any real bearing on what you experienced (I would be more concerned if it were a 50 amp service that was miswired).

Without knowing the details of your system and what 12volt usage you were experiencing - I would suggest that you check your batteries to insure plenty of water.

Most of the newer microcontroller based chargers have multiple modes of battery charging operation that all depend on battery usage - and the output can fluctuate between 13.6 and 14.4/14.6 volts.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:33 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You coach has a multi stage converter/charger what will vary the volts to help extend the battery life. A multi stage charger will cycle thru various voltage levels for the Bulk Stage, Absorption Stage, Float Stage and if you have a four stage converter an Equalization Stage. You probably just happened to see the volts during or near the end of the absorption stage which can be in excess of 14VDC.

This cycle will happen without regard to 120VAC amp capacity you have access to.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:24 AM   #4

The 14.+volt mode happens every 22 hours or something like that with my 4 stage converter /charger.

It boosts the volts to stir up the electrolyte in flooded batteries, so hearing a bit of bubbling is good.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:23 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a multi-stage charger, the float to higher voltage for short periods of Boil is to PREVENT cell "sulfation", from what I understand... WHERE battery looks charged, but goes dead quickly... a condition that kills a battery
Old 08-14-2022, 07:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sitting at the absorb voltage of 14.4V for 2 to 4 hours is not only normal, but required to achieve a full charge. "Smarter" chargers adjust the absorb time based on current but most are time based. It can be a bit disconcerting to hear the batteries gurgling and blurping but for the short time they do this, it's promoting an even, full charge and well distributed electrolyte.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #7

Hi again all - and thx for all the feedback .. I learnt quite a bit, including that it was ok when my batteries were getting charged to 14.4 V. Shouldn’t have interrupted the process. The only nagging thought left in my mind is why I haven’t noticed this before. We’ve spent 11 six month winters away in 3 different smaller class As, 3 or 4 in the current one, and haven’t ever noticed that before. I would think that the odds are quite low that it has been happening all along and I just never happened to glance at the read out at the right time, but ….
LDM Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:39 PM   #8

You don’t say what year your coach is, or more importantly - the make and model number of convertor in your coach.

As I mentioned previously - you need to make sure your convertor isn’t one of the old linear design types. They WILL boil your batteries. Simple to change to one of the newer microcontroller designs as there are 2-3 different manufacturers (I like Progressive Dynamics myself) of “drop-in” replacements.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #9

FWIW, if your 6V batteries are wired correctly, that is not associated with the bulk charge rate you saw.
Do you have a battery temperature sensor? If so, unplug it and observe charge voltage when it should be at float 13.3.
My sensor went bad, float was 13.8-14.2; I unplugged it and float voltage returned to normal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:38 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cold weather requires a HIGHER charge voltage, and desulfonate cycle, if programmed runs a higher voltage/ temp for short period to clear cell plates, I read?

Tags
charging