Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
$30 battery monitor – is the wiring correct?

I bought one of the VAT1200 $30 battery monitors. The purchasers on YOUTUBE seemed to be very happy with the product, and it appears to provide the necessary SOC data, voltage, current, etc. I connected mine to the battery bank, but when I connected the Vin wire to the positive post on the battery, there was a bright flash and a POP! NOT good! There is no wireless signal to the display. The seller says this is not something that happens, and I need to have someone else look at my connections. I hope some of you folks would be willing to help with this.

My circuit is wired as shown in the diagram below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	255108

The battery compartment looks like the photo below. You can see the bus bar connecting the monitor to the negative terminal of the battery and the chassis ground and inverter cable connected to the second terminal of the monitor. There is an arrow pointing to the red wire inserted in the Vin terminal of the wiring block. The red wire snakes around the batteries and is connected to the positive terminal of the battery bank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765_LI.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	255107

I believe this is what is intended by the User Manual drawing. Do any of you see anything I have done wrong, or do I just have a bad monitor? Thank you all.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Looks like you have it wired just like your wiring diagram.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Looks like you have it wired just like your wiring diagram.
Well, except for that third battery not in the diagram.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Something shorted to the backside? Where is the case?
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, everyone. A plastic case covers the bottom, keeping it safe from short circuits. The top case/cover has holes that are slightly too small for my cables and connections, so I will need to modify it or make something to provide protection.

The supplier is having a hard time with this problem. I expect that there is very little profit margin and sending out a replacement and paying for the return of the bad unit will eliminate any profit. I bought it through EBAY and PAYPAL, so I am not concerned with losing my money. What I am losing is time when I could be making use of this monitor.

The monitor, when working as shown in some YOUTUBE demos, seems to do the things that the high-priced units do: SOC both graphic and numeric, settable battery capacity, voltage and current values, and output to an optional relay for overvoltage, overcurrent, etc. I just wish mine worked. Hopefully, a new one will be arriving soon.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, monitor, wiring