Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #1

3126 caterpillar full replacement

Hey guys I have a Holiday rambler with a 3126 cat. I recently dropped a valve resulting in catastrophic failure. I've just done a full motor swap myself and I would like to do a big write-up on it for anyone that runs into this in the future. My question right now is what specific details would you guys be interested in hearing or me adding into the write-up.
Pat_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I dont have a Cat, but from a life long mechanic’s view Id be interested in the process including pics, and the damage done to the old engine if you opened it up, which Im sure you did.

Did you start with a complete replacement because of metal throughout the oiling system or was there just too much damage to clean up with machining?
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_K View Post
Hey guys I have a Holiday rambler with a 3126 cat. I recently dropped a valve resulting in catastrophic failure. I've just done a full motor swap myself and I would like to do a big write-up on it for anyone that runs into this in the future. My question right now is what specific details would you guys be interested in hearing or me adding into the write-up.

The main thing I would like to know was how you got the engine out and back in. I had an idea of how it could be done on my 03 Providence.

What were the biggest huddles you ran into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I dont have a Cat, but from a life long mechanic’s view Id be interested in the process including pics, and the damage done to the old engine if you opened it up, which Im sure you did.

Did you start with a complete replacement because of metal throughout the oiling system or was there just too much damage to clean up with machining?
The 3126 is available in a crate engine at much cheaper than rebuild prices, or was back when I looked into it.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #4

Welcome to the site, I don't own a cat either but am always interested in info like you are willing to share. With the miles on my cummins I can see myself doing this down the road as well if I keep it and I'm sure there will be a lot of similarity's in the R&R.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:33 AM   #5

The biggest hurdle was the reach. Lifting a 1600 pound motor with a skid steer is easy, but to get it to the mounts through the back required 7' of reach. I used a John Deere 325 with fork extensions.

I pulled the head off after we broke down and found a massive crack in the cylinder wall. Had it been a Cummins I could have just replaced the sleeve and head, but the cat motors are sleeveless.

I ended up cutting a small section of the bumper vs taking the whole rear cap off. Hitch and the tranny cooler/rad mount and rear motor cradle had to come out also.

I have a bunch of pics. I'll try and figure out how to post them and tell the story
Old 09-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I have a bunch of pics. I'll try and figure out how to post them and tell the story
Here's a link to Forum 101 with instructions on how to post photos.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...tml#post477709
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The biggest hurdle was the reach. Lifting a 1600 pound motor with a skid steer is easy, but to get it to the mounts through the back required 7' of reach. I used a John Deere 325 with fork extensions.

I pulled the head off after we broke down and found a massive crack in the cylinder wall. Had it been a Cummins I could have just replaced the sleeve and head, but the cat motors are sleeveless.

I ended up cutting a small section of the bumper vs taking the whole rear cap off. Hitch and the tranny cooler/rad mount and rear motor cradle had to come out also.

Please do - there are many here who love this stuff!
Old 09-21-2021, 07:16 PM   #8

Pat,

I would love to see the process you went through! How you got the engine out, or engine and transmission together. How much you had to cut to get it out. Since you went back with a 3126, did you consider any other engines? Maybe a C12 or would they not hook up to the current wiring?

I have considered what I would have to do if my 3126 gave up, hopefully it will not. If it did I may well look into getting as much Cat HP as I can as long as it fits the harness I already have.

I think a lot of people would like to see what was involved with your swap.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
I'll try and figure out how to post them and tell the story
IMO...the best way to document this project and make it easy for you to post and others to read would be to create one document. For just one example, create a Microsoft WORD doc. There's many other software applications too.

Start with all the different steps you took with accompanying photos, captions and descriptions. For example Step #1 with pics, Step #2 with pics etc, describing along the way. The whole document may end up being 2 or 3 pages long. But once complete, output/export the document as a PDF. Then upload the single PDF. That would cover the entire story and anyone could simply keep the PDF for future reference.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
Pat,

Since you went back with a 3126, did you consider any other engines? Maybe a C12 or would they not hook up to the current wiring?

NO, the C12 would require the Allison 4000 transmission. The Allison 3000 series is not rated for that much power.

You would also be adding a massive amount of additional weight, require a significantly upgraded cooling system ............

Could it be done-- I guess, but certainly not practical!
Old 09-24-2021, 06:19 AM   #11

I would have loved to put a bigger motor but too many variables I wasn't sure about. Would the tranny come apart? Is it too much weight for the single axel etc.

I think I'm going to make a video, it will take me a bit but now that the weather is turning my work will slow down and I'll have time to edit it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210828_211008370.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	344017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210708_141716.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	344018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210708_130632.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	344019  
Old 09-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like that valve was a little rough on things...
Old 09-24-2021, 09:56 PM   #13

I 2nd the PDF but would also suggest to have pics in FULL orig resolution available in separate download ZIP, as sometimes to get the best view you want to get as 'close' as possible via zooming into 100% of the full resolution pic (if phone cam i have no knowledge - ask others about s/w suggestion).

You should reduce the size down to quality '1' or '2' (out of 10) via software, most cams come with s/w for this, can do ALL the pics at one time (batch mode), both for size reduction or even resolution reduction (for the pdf/doc) - so takes little effort tbh.

ex- my orig pics are 10megabytes, but via size reduction (quality it can be called) it can go down to 300kbytes - a decrease of 25+ !! reduce the resolution of pic and final size can be 1/10th that - 30-40kb which is quite small for a nice pic !!

GL!

Tags
ace, cat, caterpillar, replace, replacement