Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
42' Overland

Looking to buy a 42' 1999 Overland, Cat 330, Allison, 47,000 miles. The price is half of NADA, but needs some TLC that I am equipped to handle.

Any advice for me to consider
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #2

Not enough information about what "some TLC" means to make an educated guess other than that you should keep a substantial amount of cash beyond the final purchase price available as needed.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Not enough information about what "some TLC" means to make an educated guess other than that you should keep a substantial amount of cash beyond the final purchase price available as needed.
Here it goes...
  • The carpet is worn to the point of needing replaced.
  • The rear closet originally had sliding doors, those are missing and will need replaced if I want closet doors.
  • The cloth headliner is loose on the roof panel, and will need to be replaced
All sounds like stuff I can handle.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check the fuel system real well and all fluids. Most rubber components such as suspension parts and gaskets will be needing replaced. An average of 2500 miles per year but it may have sat in one place for several years at a time which can cause it's own set of issues. Check the date code of the tires as well.

You will have to use your best judgement based on the condition when you look past the surface. Really get in the mechanical spaces. If they have dressed up a pig it should be pretty obvious.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do you feel you are capable/competent to inspect the chassis and components. If not I would suggest getting a professional to inspect, specifically the high $$$ items like engine, transmission, generator, chassis looking at roof and sidewalls for problems (leaks). The other smaller appliances can also cause problems but won't cost a lot to replace.

When I bought our rig in 2008 it was a repo and was listed at less the 1/2 of nada. I crawled over, under and through the rig. I've got a very strong maintenance background and had owned a motorhome for +10 yeas so thought I was capable. After buying the coach the first thing I did was to take it to the Cummins shop for a complete service and inspection, I knew the manager and trusted his opinion. When they were done the Manager said the rig was "Cherry" and I had gotten heck of a deal.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Usually, but not always, the headliner coming loose us the result of a roof leak.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote