Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #1

This engine has about 27000 miles on it and the problem is this; The engine stalls/quits sometimes when I release the parking brake, sometimes when it is just idling and sometimes while traveling down the road. It has been to several ford dealerships and they inform me that the computer isn't giving them any codes that will help them. I had the transmission serviced last year and the problem seemed to disapper and now IT'S BACK. Any idea's would be appreciated.

Forgot this info in the original msg:
It's a 1997 Georgie Boy Cruise Air. F53, 460, 36'.

Gary, 450 doesn't ring any bells with me either, Happy I didn't have more errors typing on this little keyboard. Thanks for the catch.
Yo, CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #2

This engine has about 27000 miles on it and the problem is this; The engine stalls/quits sometimes when I release the parking brake, sometimes when it is just idling and sometimes while traveling down the road. It has been to several ford dealerships and they inform me that the computer isn't giving them any codes that will help them. I had the transmission serviced last year and the problem seemed to disapper and now IT'S BACK. Any idea's would be appreciated.

Forgot this info in the original msg:
It's a 1997 Georgie Boy Cruise Air. F53, 460, 36'.

Gary, 450 doesn't ring any bells with me either, Happy I didn't have more errors typing on this little keyboard. Thanks for the catch.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if a transmission shop might have some ideas? Perhaps the tranny is not automatically de-clutching at appropriate times and stalling the engine. This may be a communication problem between the engine computer and the tranny or a tranny control function.

I gather it is a Ford chassis, but which one and what year? What transmission? "450" doesn't ring any bells with me - is it perhaps a 460 cubic inch V8
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:02 AM   #4

Knowing the year and model will likely result in more informative responses. There are various issues associated with specific years and models, with accompanying TSBs (Trouble Shooting Bulletins)for for things like engines dying randomly due to things like PCM grounding issues.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #5

S0o . . when the engine quits, does everything else that would normally be operating with the ignition switch "run" position also go dead, like the dash gauges? If so, that would indicate a bad ignition switch, or possibly pinched wires in the steering column. The best way to troubleshoot this problem would be to do a wiggle test on the steering column wiring and ignition switch, in an effort duplicate the problem. Also check for a loose connection around the fuse blocks.

If only the engine is affected, then I would tend to suspect the PCM or fuel relay and associated ground, normally located on the firewall, accessible from the front engine hood, and mounted in the front fuse block. A marginal ground will cause both the fuel injectors and ignition to fail.

In addition to the wiggle test, whacking stuff with a stick might might induce a failure if whacked in the right area.

On edit: I should add, that one of the first places you should check is the PCM ground, which is normally located under the dash, on the lower firewall somewhere around the steering column. The ground screw will be green. You should make sure you have a **very** clean connection between the wiring and the firewall; and might consider adding a star washer as an extra measure.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #6

Not a mechanic but had the same problemon with my 95 MH. Engine would stop when leaving the interstate. Ford people thought it was transmission. Turned out to be fuel pump.
jaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #7

I thought it might be the fuel pump as well, but it was replaced a year or so ago, another story. I'm heading for Banks enginering next week to check on my exhust and to have the transmission module installed. see what they find if anything. Lot of lookie looo's, some one has the answer out there.

Hope everyone enjoys the 4TH.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you changed the fuel filter?
Old 07-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #9

Yep, changed the filter. Stan, the gauges are still working, the idiot lites are still on. I'll check the ground connections next. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, wash and wax it. Going on a little jaunt to Banks Eng. have them take a look at the exhaust and put a trans command on. Thanks all for your input.

HAVE A GOOD 4th ALL.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #10

There was another 460 that had about the same problem on one of the forums and it turned out to be the ECM( electronic control module). All the tests showed it was good, but it was not. A few have had a sensor cause trouble. MAP sensor and the oxygen sensor.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #11

We as well have been having electrical problems with our 1997 460 Bounder. Driving along the freeway the motorhome died..no power at all to ignition. We were towed back to a ford dealer who got us rewired up in order to get home, but we lost use of some of our auxilary options, like the power steps, back up camera, jacks, and heated mirrors. They were unable to find the problem because they only had info on the ford engine and nothing on Fleetwood electrical system. We are still jackless and looking for the cause of the problem. We have contacted several rv repair shops and no one has heard of this problem. Has anybody out there????
leslie & Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:04 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Well guys I don't know if it's the same thing, but I'll never forget the burb stopping dead in Tampa rush hour traffic a few years ago. Like you I had it towed to a garage, they not only did'nt have a clue but it was closing time on a friday. Our insurance was kind enough to authorize a tow home to Crystal River 90 miles. It turned out to be the electronic ignition control module fried. You might have that checked. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #13

Hi Leslie and Terry. Think I might be able to help you with this one. It sounds like one of your battery isolaters (relay) has gone kaput. It took me a little while to figure this one out. I have a fuse/relay box on my drivers side firewall which I got access from the front. I checked all the fuses and they were good. the problem was a relay, and there are severalthat look like each other, they stand out about 3-4 inches from the firewall. It was one of the ones on the bottom. I found only one place that carries them and that is Graingers. I don't have my rig here, it is in storage, but I'll see if I can go and get my folder and maybe scan the pictures I took and give you a part number for the relay. Oh how I found out which one it was, I removed one of the two big cables from the top, with the key on, and touched the other big cable and everything worked. You can feel the relay clicking but no connection. I bought the 100 amp one to replace it. If you don't hear from me in a couple of days, just respond here or email me to remind me to get the info for you.

Do you remember what the garage did to get your rig running??

Have a good weekend and keep cool.

Ed
Old 08-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #14

Hi L&T
Just a followup from my previous posting. I was able to locate the info for the relay I was talking about. It is made by White-Rodgers and the part number is 120-105711. I was able to purchase two of them from the local Graingers. This is not like a relay switch you purchase at Pep Boys or whatever, this one is designed to activiate whenever you turn your key on and stay on until you turn your key off, continous duty. this one is also rated at 100 amps.

Hope this helps