Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #1

I just purchased a TRC 50 amp surge guard. Looked on the internet and read where it is suggested that you not use the 50 amp when pluging to a 30 amp even if using the correct plug addapter.
Will this 50 amp give any protection when plugged to 30 amp?
Will it hurt it?
Note: It is the portable unit and I also have the lock for protection.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #2

I just purchased a TRC 50 amp surge guard. Looked on the internet and read where it is suggested that you not use the 50 amp when pluging to a 30 amp even if using the correct plug addapter.
Will this 50 amp give any protection when plugged to 30 amp?
Will it hurt it?
Note: It is the portable unit and I also have the lock for protection.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:39 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I've had 3 of them on 3 units and they worked with no problem. When you say that you saw this info on the internet, do you mean on the manufacturers site or was this someone's opinion?
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:48 AM   #4

Below is what I found on http://www.surgeguard.com/Links
Q. Can Models 34560 and 34750 (240V/50Amp) be operated on a 120V/30Amp or 120V/15 Amp power source?
A. Operation of these models (using a standard adapter) on a 120V/30A, 120V/20A, or 120V/15A power source is not recommended by the manufacturer. however, the unit will still function properly. If used correctly, this will not void warranty. Keep power use to a minimum and return to a 50 Amp power source as soon as plssible.
They have their phone number at the bottom, so I think it is their web page.
This just does not make sense to me. Unit will function properly? Move asap to 50 amp?
If I am on 30 amp I will be there a day or so and it is because 50 amp site is not available.
I am pretty sure this is their web site.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that info is published by them. When I spoke to a tech support guy a few years back I asked about this. He said, it shouldn't matter. I haven't had any problems with either of my coaches and apparently nobody else has either. I'd just go for it.

My guess would be that "maybe" a 50 amp SurgeGuard has less voltage latitude than a 30 amp unit. When you use it on 30 amps it may prematurely kick out sooner. Again, that's just a guess on my part and I haven't noticed any difference. It's saved my buns during some serious storms and has also shut down power during a low voltage condition twice. Incidently, those were both on 30 amp pedestals where the low voltage was.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
E Z,

Your in good hands and have nothing to worry about. You couldn't have bought a better product. Now, if we can only get the word out to the rest of the folks:
"NEVER CONNECT TO ANY SHORE POWER WITHOUT A SURGE PROTECTION DEVICE IN/ON LINE" and always
trip the breaker "OFF" when connecting and disconnecting to the power source.

Radarr
Old 11-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
Now, if we can only get the word out to the rest of the folks </div></BLOCKQUOTE> AND please be sure that the circuit breaker in the pedestal is -&gt; OFF &lt;- before you plug in your power cord for safety's sake.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I too will just chime in here to say that I have had no problem in over three years of using our 50 amp Surge Guard. Most of the tiime it has been on 50 amp but have used it on 30 as well will no problem and it too has saved us thousands of $ in potential damage from surges, spikes and low voltage. I highly recommend their use everytime your plugged into shore power.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #9

Driver makes a good point. Always think safety first. And you should also open the circuit breaker before you remove your power plug as well.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:53 AM   #10

I have the 50 amp TRC surge guard and keep it plugged in at home to a 30 amp recepticle. Been doing this for 1 1/2 years.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
OK - should it be the portable or hard-wired version? I'm thinking hard wired - 50 amp for our coach would be the way to go?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:12 AM   #12

I have the portable model because I didn't want to have to bring it in some where to have the permanent one installed.
I would consider the permanent one the better choice since it is protected in a basement compartment from weather and theft.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:23 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the hardwired 50amp Surgeguard as well. If you take your coach somewhere for installation, make sure that they install it in the proper direction. The length of the unit should be up and down. Because of space issues, some techs have installed the Surgeguards lying horizontally on their back. This position is not recommended by the manufacturer, according to their instructions.

We had one incident in Port Isabel, TX this spring that probably paid for the Surgeguard several times over. I wouldn't be without it.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:51 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Driver, thanks for that additional input, I did and will revised my phrase to include it.

I bought the Portable 50 AMP unit over 3 years ago and installed inside my electrical compartment, after I cut the original power cord 18" from the transfer switch and installed a recetacle in a weather proof box on the short end and a new Plug on the open cord end. I only care to pay for one of these units one time. "It's mine and it's going with me when we move up to another coach". The main factor, is that it is out of sight and our of the weather. If you pay any attention to some of the topics regarding Surge Protection Devices, their are some jerks out their who will take it upon themselves to releive you of your property when your not looking. I've read too much about Surge Guards and Autoformers being stollen.

Why give someone the opportunity when you can do it right the first time.

Radarr

"Never Connect to ANY shore power without a Surge Protection Device in/on line and always trip the breaker "off" before connecting and disconnecting from the power source".