Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #15

I vote 50a you won't be sorry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Do the math for your specific installation and then decide, if it is a simple short run from an ample sized breaker box 50 amp may not cost much more than 30 amp, however there are a number of factors at play here that could make 50 amp considerably more expensive.
Our rig is only 30 amp. When I installed the 30 amp service last year, I thought about it and went to pricing the differences between 30 and 50 amp service for the 160 foot run. For the 50 amp service, the larger size of the wire, conduit, fittings, breaker, receptacle and box, added a bit more to the cost. Forget the exact amount but I'm thinking around $250. Not a whole lot but at the same time, an amount I didn't feel was worth the expenditure.

Yes, having the 50 amp service, just in case, would be nice. However, and this is after 40 years of RVing, I can't see us ever going to a larger coach than what we have now. Even if we did, I know already that I could make the 30 amp service to work for us.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
EVO-Bob-

We used a 50/30/20A box, prewired. It has room under the cover for oversized plugs (such as the ones with handles). Link is here.
I really like that box. I wish every campground used them. I got real tired of muscling my 50 amp plug into and especially out of the outlets so I replaced the plug with the yellow Camco with the molded plastic handle. Much better.
During the blizzard last week I was concerned about blowing snow getting inside the outlets and causing problems because the pedestal's box lid wouldn't close over my big plug. I went out and bungee corded a plastic trash bag over the pedestal to keep the snow out. The 64 mph winds ripped that off in short order. Luckily the wind direction impinged directly on the lid and not from either side keeping the snow out.
As a side note, many traffic lights filled up with the blowing snow. If they were the older incandescent lights the heat from the bulbs could melt the snow enough for motorists to tell which lights were illuminated. If they were the newer LED lights there wasn't enough heat to melt the snow completely blanking out all the lights. Instead of treating the intersections as 4 way stops as the law requires when traffic lights lose electrical power many drivers didn't even slow down as they blew through the intersections. There were many collisions and many more hairy close calls.
Public works trucks with lifts worked non-stop blowing and hosing the snow out of traffic lights trying to keep the intersections from being destruction derby sites.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
ONLY cost difference I can see is the up grade to 10 3 wg and 50 amp box and plug would not be much,getting it from current serviced panel to the new location would be major cost if you are not DIY. As was said never have enough.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
ONLY cost difference I can see is the up grade to 10 3 wg and 50 amp box and plug would not be much,getting it from current serviced panel to the new location would be major cost if you are not DIY. As was said never have enough.
Upgrade from 10-2 to 8-3 or 6 -3 wire for 50 amp service
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

The cost difference is highly dependent on what you now have and what it takes to get 50A/240v from your existing load center. It may not be much, as little as a hundred dollars, but in some cases it will be a lot more.

In my case I had a subpanel in my workshop that could handle an additional 30A/120v circuit, but 50A/240v required a new line from the main load center another 100 ft away. Big cost difference because of the logistics rather than the amps. My solution was to install TWO 30A outlets (same phase), which enabled me to run almost everything in the coach at once, even two a/c units.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The cost difference is highly dependent on what you now have and what it takes to get 50A/240v from your existing load center. It may not be much, as little as a hundred dollars, but in some cases it will be a lot more.

In my case I had a subpanel in my workshop that could handle an additional 30A/120v circuit, but 50A/240v required a new line from the main load center another 100 ft away. Big cost difference because of the logistics rather than the amps. My solution was to install TWO 30A outlets (same phase), which enabled me to run almost everything in the coach at once, even two a/c units.

Not a safe solution. Doing so could cause the neutral wire to carry 60 amps when it is rated for 30 amps. In a 50 amp service, the neutral wire carries the difference between the two hot legs which at most would be 50 amps, the rating of the neutral wire.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #22

I ran 30 amp 240 volts to the shed. Then a 30 amp RV outlet.

If I get a 50 amp RV, I'll just get a double 30 amp breaker and supply it 30 amps 240 volts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
EVO-Bob-

We put in 50A service. Never can tell when you'll need a lifeboat or a guest house. Some of our friends and neighbors have RVs. Our driveway can host their RVs, if they get in a pinch, too. Our town is more likely to have electrical power than neighboring towns, for example. Thirty amps will do, but you never know...

We used a 50/30/20A box, prewired. It has room under the cover for oversized plugs (such as the ones with handles). Link is here.

Your profile says you are from Flemington, NJ. We go through there (31/202) on our way north and south. It looks like a nice area!
Thanks for making me check my profile. We moved from Flemington to Larkspur, CO about 5 mos ago after 38 years. But yes, Flemington and Hunterdon County are beautiful. Its a part of NJ nobody knows about.
EVO-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #24

When I was putting in hookups for Dad's trailer I used much heavier wire, because I got a bargain on some rated for direct burial. Still have not got a RV that need more than 30 AMP. But when Dad needed some welding done while I had the engine out of the tool truck. Change breakers, change outlet, carry out the welder, finish the job. Change breakers, change outlet. Now that I no longer have the portable rig the camper is power thru a adapter...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #25

Best reason is no regrets, I installed a 50 amp.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #26

I went with 50A one reason no adapters less connections the better.