Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #1

7 new tires. Dynatrac RA200 vs Bridgestone R187

Replacing all 6 8R19.5 tires, plus spare, on our 1995 Fleetwood Flair. (P32, duallies in the rear -- not a tag axle.)

Unfortunately, the tire shops near us are not currently able to get Sumitomo or Toyo in a 8R19.5, so our choices basically boil down to Bridgestone R187 and Dynatrac RA200.

All of the shops say they think the Dynatrac is a great tire. Most don't think the Bridgestones are worth the extra ~$800-$900. (From what I understand Dynatrac is a made-in-china tire, by same parent company as Double Coin.)

One shop recommends putting Bridgestones on for steer since, as they are often "a rounder tire", giving a "potentially nicer ride" without having to "round off" the Dynatracs, then using Dynatracs for the drive and spare to save a few (~$600) bucks.

I notice the Dynatrac has a slightly higher speed rating than the Bridgestone (M vs L), though I'm guessing that Bridgestone is just being more conservative in its rating.

Anyone have any direct experience with these tires they're willing to share? Stability of ride on an older P32 chassis, road noise, blowouts, etc.?
whybother is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #2

No experience with FMCA or their tire program but about to give it a try.

From my understanding start here https://fmca.com/rv-tires-discounts

Plug in email & size needed

Get a few quotes, pick one

Enter credit card info & shipping info

Bam, tires show up - probably best to send to a shop & setup install
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
No experience with FMCA or their tire program but about to give it a try.

From my understanding start here https://fmca.com/rv-tires-discounts
Thanks. Unfortunately, FMCA only seem to have discounts for Michelin and Continental, and they only have 225/70/19.5 or 245/70/19.5 for 19.5 rims, neither of which will work well with my rig. (Most of my local shops advised against conversion from 8R19.5 to 225/70/19.5.)
Old 04-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #4

Did they say why not to use 225 tires?
Old 04-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Did they say why not to use 225 tires?
Potential issues with dual spacing, speedometer inaccuracy, lower MPG, ~3/4" drop in clearance, etc.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Try simpletires.com. Free delivery and quick too. I had my tire delivered in 2 days; on a Sunday!!!
Old 04-20-2021, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Try simpletires.com. Free delivery and quick too. I had my tire delivered in 2 days; on a Sunday!!!
I would still need someone to mount/balance/install them -- and most shops around here won't stand by the tire they install if they didn't sell it to you, so may not be worth the savings.

If I did order from simpletires.com, I'd probably grab the Sumitomo ST718. Other than a lower price, any real difference between the Sumitomo and Bridgestone R187?

Anyone have problems with the Bridgestone R187?
Old 04-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post
I would still need someone to mount/balance/install them -- and most shops around here won't stand by the tire they install if they didn't sell it to you, so may not be worth the savings.

If I did order from simpletires.com, I'd probably grab the Sumitomo ST718. Other than a lower price, any real difference between the Sumitomo and Bridgestone R187?

Anyone have problems with the Bridgestone R187?
I ran the Bridgestone R187 several years ago, never had any problems with them. They were balanced with lead weights. The last couple coachs I've owned the tires have been balanced with beads. The coach I have now the PO put on Hankooks. They seem OK too, but I only have a few thousand miles on them.

Simple tire will have an installer in your area most likely. My Good year dealer installed a set of tires on my Dolphin because they couldn't get Good Year tires in my size at the time.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 View Post
Simple tire will have an installer in your area most likely.
Finally heard back from them: "Unfortunately, we currently have no Preferred Installers for your tire size in this area."
Old 06-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just an FYI, dynatrac tires are made in Thailand not China,they are usually used in commercial applications. I have them new on my Fleetwood coranado I will let you all know how they work out.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #11

afaik, a soft tire is due to the side wall construction, whereas you absolutely want a very strong stiff road surface/tread construction - many plies are a good thing.

and yes tires can be softer, but then 5lb less pressure can make softer too.

GL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post
Replacing all 6 8R19.5 tires, plus spare, on our 1995 Fleetwood Flair. (P32, duallies in the rear -- not a tag axle.)

Unfortunately, the tire shops near us are not currently able to get Sumitomo or Toyo in a 8R19.5, so our choices basically boil down to Bridgestone R187 and Dynatrac RA200.

All of the shops say they think the Dynatrac is a great tire. Most don't think the Bridgestones are worth the extra ~$800-$900. (From what I understand Dynatrac is a made-in-china tire, by same parent company as Double Coin.)

One shop recommends putting Bridgestones on for steer since, as they are often "a rounder tire", giving a "potentially nicer ride" without having to "round off" the Dynatracs, then using Dynatracs for the drive and spare to save a few (~$600) bucks.

I notice the Dynatrac has a slightly higher speed rating than the Bridgestone (M vs L), though I'm guessing that Bridgestone is just being more conservative in its rating.

Anyone have any direct experience with these tires they're willing to share? Stability of ride on an older P32 chassis, road noise, blowouts, etc.?
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bridgestone is a quality tire and was selling tires way before most Chinese or Taiwanese company's were considering the US market. There is a good reason your local dealers suggested using them as the steer tires.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Absolutely
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires