Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #1

Traveling in NV mts, I lost oil press at 4100rpm. Immediately returned to normal when I let up on gas.After 3rd time I figured there was trouble. Search on this forum & found someone with exact same problem. They said it was A too restrictive Fram filter. Recommended a NAPA 1060. Immediately bought & installed one. Press went from +-30 to +-40-normal driving. Filter has an internal by-pass for cold starts & hard pulls. +-50 cold. Have passed 4100rpm a number of times in 2mths since installing filter. No problems.This is a full quart filter. MANY THANKS TO WHOEVER POSTED THIS FIX. It removed a lot of stress driving in the western mts.
philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #2

Traveling in NV mts, I lost oil press at 4100rpm. Immediately returned to normal when I let up on gas.After 3rd time I figured there was trouble. Search on this forum & found someone with exact same problem. They said it was A too restrictive Fram filter. Recommended a NAPA 1060. Immediately bought & installed one. Press went from +-30 to +-40-normal driving. Filter has an internal by-pass for cold starts & hard pulls. +-50 cold. Have passed 4100rpm a number of times in 2mths since installing filter. No problems.This is a full quart filter. MANY THANKS TO WHOEVER POSTED THIS FIX. It removed a lot of stress driving in the western mts.
philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Philbert, I copied your post over to the Workhorse Chassis forum, where more Workhorse owners might see it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Philbert, thanks for the information, I have just ordered a Pace Arrow with that combination. Are you happy with the 8.1, how does it perform in the moutains?
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Note to Max49: This why we don't use FRAM filters.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I think the Fram also has a bypass. I think all filters have a bypass. If they didn't there would be a lot of blown engines.

Fram had problems ~20 years ago and never overcame the bad press. The same thing happened to Pennzoil.

I like and use WIX, NAPA or AC filters in my W24.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Thanks for the thanks.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
philbert... do a search on the Workhorse Chassis forum about loss of oil pressure at high rpm (or something to that extent).

Apparently there is, or was, a posting from Workhorse regarding oil pressure dropping to zero at 4500 rpm or so. Can't remember exactly but it's apparently something in the programming and is not a failure problem.

I'm surprised "Driver" didn't mention this. He's usually right on top of these types of issues.

I know you mentioned 4100 rpm but maybe something isn't exactly correct in your rpm or the ECM programming.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):
I'm surprised "Driver" didn't mention this. He's usually right on top of these types of issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bob, Now that you mention it I do recall seeing a post along those lines but it was a little while ago that we spoke about it.

I do know about the anomaly with the FRAM and the fact that philbert hasn't been able to recreate the event since he's switched filters leads me to believe that he has found a working solution to the problem.

In other words I think I had a CRS moment.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not faithful to Fram, but I've been using them on and off since about 1970 and I've never had a problem. Now you guys are trying to scare me. The only problem I've ever had with an oil filter is a Baldwin, made by Wix, and that is they are bad for leaving the old rubber gasket sticking to the engine, and if you don't notic that, you're going to have a mess when you start your engine.
I don't remember what oil filter I now have on the MH but I sometimes wrap it out to 5000 RPM climbing these mtns. If my oil pressure dropped tom zero , I would have been walking home.

My son, just today brought home 6 qts of oil and A Fram filter for his Explorer. I saw the Fram and thought of Driver instantly.
What's wrong with Fram? Do we also not like Prestone, Autolite and Bendix?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
The only problem I've ever had with an oil filter is a Baldwin, made by Wix, and that is they are bad for leaving the old rubber gasket sticking to the engine, and if you don't notice that, you're going to have a mess when you start your engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>True Max, I've done it myself at least once. No oil filter cartridge that I know of is invulnerable from leaving the gasket on the base of the oil filter mount.

You have to make sure to check it. All manufacturers suggest you clean the mating surface and in so doing you will see if the gasket is stuck up there.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know that now . But that was the 1st and only time , it happened to me.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #13

Sounds like a gauge or wiring problem, No oil pressure at 4100 rpm under heavy load and you would be walking. My son's 2003 has eaten up three pressure gauges ,reads zero pressure but yhey change gauge and starts working again.Good Luck Mike 8.1L
school man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #14
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
It is a known fault with the oil pickup tube and the combination of the Fram filter. By changing back to a GM filter - the problem was eliminated.
It is NOT a GUAGE or WIRING problem. If ignored it could dammage your engine.
Now I use a scan guage from http://www.aeroforcetech.com/ and it saved my but when my oil pump shaft sheared 2 months ago.
It also allows me to monitor my coolant and transmission temps.
I was lucky and stopped the engine when the warning came on and the guage showed 0 psi. All I had to replace was my hair (now bald) and the shaft. All the bearings were ok.