Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #1

I am having an air whistle coming from I don't know where, but when I follow a tractor trailer it stops. When I am in clean air it whistles like crazy. Anyone else have an issue like that?
Leons P35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #2

I am having an air whistle coming from I don't know where, but when I follow a tractor trailer it stops. When I am in clean air it whistles like crazy. Anyone else have an issue like that?
Leons P35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #3

Leons, I had a 96 southwind 36ft with single slide. Great rig...I chased that whistle sound until the day I traded her in. It would also disappear at different speeds or air currents. I read on a thread in here that it could have been the radiator but I am not sure. LazyDays also chased the sound with no luck. The whistle never effected the operation of the coach so I learned to live with it. Good luck.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Togators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #4

Those noises are really hard to track down, aren't they?

Although my 1996 Discovery may have a different windshield setup than your Southwind, I will share with you that by accident, I found that there was a small slit between my lower right-hand windshield glass and the gasket. It wrapped all the way around the corner and when I sealed it up, most of my noise went away.

I just happened to be working in that area on the outside when I found the opening. Good luck on tracking your whistle down.
Lyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #5

You might try placing masking tape over openings between body panels then test drive. Tape up over the windshield trim, any opening you find try it. We use to find areas of wind noise this way in cars. If its a front grill built a temporary wind deflector out of cardboad and tape it to the grill work.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">try placing masking tape </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly my suggestion. I found a noisy rubber windshield gasket on an SUV by placing masking tape over one thing at a time until the noise stopped.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 AM   #7

Or you could put tape over everything and take it off one piece at a time untill the noise comes back! JFWIW!
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leons P35:
I am having an air whistle coming from I don't know where, but when I follow a tractor trailer it stops. When I am in clean air it whistles like crazy. Anyone else have an issue like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is another thread regarding this, and one fairly common cause seemed to be the ends of the metal tubing used to fabricate the grille. In many cases, when the owner sealed up the ends with silicone, it took care of it.

I have a similar moaning wind noise that comes and goes, like a ghost. Sometimes it just goes away on its own. But when a big rig or truck passes me either direction, while my coach is moaning, it goes away for several seconds, so I know it is wind or slipstream being cut off at a certain angle. I just have to figure out where to put the wide strip of masking tape. (Great suggestion.)
Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Several manufacturers have experienced a vibration comming from the front grill. Remove the grill and give it a try.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #10

I have not had that problem with my 96, Though the previous owner may have found it and fixed it. I do have a strange piece of wood that they had put behind the air intake for the Banks powerkit, I just assumed it kept the air intake from rattling against the grill. Other than the tire noise, relatively quiet rig, a little rumble from the headers and freeflow exhaust, but conversations are not at the yelling stage.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote