Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
97 Pace Arrow windshield popping out

We are looking for our first class A motor home. We have looked at a lot of junk and finally found something we both like, it's a 1997 34' Pace Arrow Vision with one large slide. I did a head to toe check out and only found a few problems. The one thing that concerns me the most is the windshield is popping out on the driver side top edge. I could not see any signs of damage to the body. Does fiberglass warp or does it just need to be removed and resealed?
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
they can't be "re-set"

learn how much a new windshield costs to be installed for THAT model
have that number in mind when making your offer

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
If I really wanted to pursue that coach, I would do more research on that particular model/year. Some make/model RVs have a tendency to pop out windshields due to oversize openings and/or excessive body flex. Bumpy roads, driving over very uneven terrain, and improper use of leveling jack are common things that cause the body to flex enough to pop out a windshield. Sometimes the glass can be "reset" with some degree of success, but in all likelihood that would just repair the symptom without addressing the real problem ...and the glass will pop out again in the future. IMHO, such excess body flex is a structural design problem. That was one factor in our own purchase decision ...structural design and integrity are very important for any home or vehicle, and too many RVs are lacking in both.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for the great advice. Decided to pass on this coach so we are still looking. I'm sure the right one will show up soon. Just glad there are people like you on this forum that are willing to share their knowledge with us newbies.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Windshield pops are fairly common on gas chassis coaches in that era. Mostly a result of flex of the front cap, which in turn results from a slight twist to the frame. This can happen when jacking the motorhome (leveling) or sometimes even going down a rough road. Newer RVs, starting around 2002, mostly have a more rigid chassis that is much less prone to this problem.

Getting the windshield reset is a minor problem - any windshield shop can do it in an hour or less.

Good luck with your shopping.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Getting the windshield reset is a minor problem - any windshield shop can do it in an hour or less.
odd.

In the first post in this thread I said "can't be re-set" when as I'm learning around here I should have qualified and milquetoasted my statement to allow for exceptions.

My experience in this:
My drivers side glass has a slight separation down low so I've specifically asked this question at 3 different shops... and was told each time that while it is "theoretically possible" to pull and re-set... that most of the time (90%?) the attempt will result in the glass shattering and a new windshield being ordered.

A one in ten success rate is very poor odds in my world.

Can you recommend one of these shops you mentioned as being capable of doing the job so nonchalantly?

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have some additional info I forgot to mention on my first post. The owner of this RV past away last year and the family is selling it. They said he did everything regarding operating the RV. The son was trying to help demo the unit and had set the hydraulic levelers. I did notice during my inspection that the right rear leveler was in the retracted position and the other 3 were set. Now I am wondering if this is was what caused the glass to pop. Monday I will contact some local glass shops and see what they say. If the windshield is repairable or has to be replaced, I may go ahead and pull the trigger with this unit.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #8

My 2000 Tradewinds windshield pops out so much I got the tool to reset it myself.I didn't know that it couldn't be done.Guess I should stop doing it.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If the windshield glass is glued in, resetting it can be challenging. But to the best of my knowledge, the Pace Arrow windshield sits in a rubber gasket. A sealer may be used along with the gasket, but that is not a permanent glue. We had a 1996 Southwind, practically a twin of the Pace, and had it done at a glass shop in Ocala, Fl. and the job took about 30 minutes.

The windshield in our current coach is fully glued in. Probably not easily resettable, but also very hard for it to come loose. However, when I had a damaged windshield replaced in it, the crew removed the old glass without shattering it. Took a couple hours, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #10

These are some things all motor home owners should keep in mind. Jacks are probably the major cause of windshields cracking due to stress. Jacks were originally called stabilizing jacks and were for stabilizing only (not lifting to make level). As jacks got stronger you can now just about lift your intire unit. If your windshield cracks from stress, it will probably happen again and again. Most glass shops are not equipped to reinforce front caps on motor homes and it needs to be taken to and RV repair shop. Useing correct urathane products when replacing or resetting windshields is very important. Units built in the 80's and 90's with front engines and large front access doors have problems with not enough reinforcement below the windshield to prevent the windshield from dropping. Most manufacturers today do a good job reinforcing the front section to hold the windshield secure. About 60% of all Motor Homes being produced today are with one piece front glass. Some are 70 inches tall, weight as much as 270 Pounds and takes 3 installers to handle. The cost of one piece windshields also has become expensive due to shipping and handling cost.

Dunan1
duncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan1 View Post
These are some things all motor home owners should keep in mind. Jacks are probably the major cause of windshields cracking due to stress. Jacks were originally called stabilizing jacks and were for stabilizing only (not lifting to make level). As jacks got stronger you can now just about lift your intire unit. If your windshield cracks from stress, it will probably happen again and again. Most glass shops are not equipped to reinforce front caps on motor homes and it needs to be taken to and RV repair shop. Useing correct urathane products when replacing or resetting windshields is very important. Units built in the 80's and 90's with front engines and large front access doors have problems with not enough reinforcement below the windshield to prevent the windshield from dropping. Most manufacturers today do a good job reinforcing the front section to hold the windshield secure. About 60% of all Motor Homes being produced today are with one piece front glass. Some are 70 inches tall, weight as much as 270 Pounds and takes 3 installers to handle. The cost of one piece windshields also has become expensive due to shipping and handling cost.

Dunan1
I don't think there has ever been a glass shop that will attempt to reinforce your front cap to hold the windshield in. That's just not there bag. Also, it's not a matter of the weight of the glass hanging on the front end while raised on the jacks. That windshield hangs there all the time. It's the twisting of the front cap when the jacks are improperly used that causes the problem. Usually the glass just attempts to pop out of it's track in the gasket seal, but sometimes it cracks in the process. I wouldn't glue mine in because I would rather it pop partially out than for it to crack.

I, too, have the tools to reset my windshield when necessary.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote