Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
98 Country Coach or 05 Winnebago gasser

We've been looking at a 98 CC Allure for the past 3 weeks. This is a one owner coach that is in very good condition and has been maintained by the Country Coach facility in Oregon since new.

We did a test drive today and based on that I decided we must have it looked at. The owner says no. I do not have the mechanical background to determine what needs to be done so would appreciate your thoughts on a couple of things. The engine sounds good and it has plenty of power. It also stops well. But it makes a few noises that I simply don't understand.

1.) When backing out of his driveway, the brakes made a loud noise several times. It reminded me of how the brakes on my car sound when backing down my driveway after washing it. It happened several times as he was backing out of his driveway. The owner had not washed the motorhome so the brakes could not have been wet. The owner did not seem concerned when it happened and didn't offer any explanation when I asked what it was. It did not recur when we were doing the test drive. So I am wondering if this is the result of the motorhome sitting for 2+ years.

2.) It sounds like the power steering is going. Not sure what to compare it with but reminded me of the whining sound cars make when the power steering is low on fluid.

3.) A red light was illuminated in the middle of the oil pressure gauge when we were under way. The needle was in the middle of the range. The light was not illuminated when the coach was parked and idling. The engine was smooth and I did not discern any vibration while standing on the bedroom floor. The owner claims the gauge may be defective as he previously replaced it when that occurred.

4.) My wife noted a whirling sound coming from the engine when we were under way.

5.) When first looking at the service records, my wife recalls seeing one that had a marginal note referencing a leaking cac tube. The owner decline to have it repaired at the time stating he would make the repair himself when he returned to his home. He doesn't remember what he did.

So my question is do we take our chances or keep looking?

If we move on, we may make an offer on a 2005 Adventurer 33V with full body paint. The exterior looks like new. The interior is about average for a coach with 48,000 miles. The Adventurer has a Vortec engine that sounds good. The ride is OK but the coach has a tendency to wander. Not bad, but definitely a step down from the Allure.

The big plus on the Winnebago is the size. I can park it at the house. A big plus for the Allure is the engine. A Cummins 8.3 rated at 325hp. Since we're on the West Coast and will be doing a lot of mountain driving and I'd prefer the diesel.

We can get into the Allure for about $15,000 less than the Winne and if $15,000 would address all the Allures problems, I think that's what I'd like to do. Need to move fast on this one. Based on my research the price on the Allure is quite good. However, the price on the Winne is also very good.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
humidity on brakes make them chatter. usually goes away after a few stops.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #3

Allure

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
We've been looking at a 98 CC Allure for the past 3 weeks. This is a one owner coach that is in very good condition and has been maintained by the Country Coach facility in Oregon since new.

We did a test drive today and based on that I decided we must have it looked at. The owner says no. I do not have the mechanical background to determine what needs to be done so would appreciate your thoughts on a couple of things. The engine sounds good and it has plenty of power. It also stops well. But it makes a few noises that I simply don't understand.

1.) When backing out of his driveway, the brakes made a loud noise several times. It reminded me of how the brakes on my car sound when backing down my driveway after washing it. It happened several times as he was backing out of his driveway. The owner had not washed the motorhome so the brakes could not have been wet. The owner did not seem concerned when it happened and didn't offer any explanation when I asked what it was. It did not recur when we were doing the test drive. So I am wondering if this is the result of the motorhome sitting for 2+ years.

2.) It sounds like the power steering is going. Not sure what to compare it with but reminded me of the whining sound cars make when the power steering is low on fluid.

3.) A red light was illuminated in the middle of the oil pressure gauge when we were under way. The needle was in the middle of the range. The light was not illuminated when the coach was parked and idling. The engine was smooth and I did not discern any vibration while standing on the bedroom floor. The owner claims the gauge may be defective as he previously replaced it when that occurred.

4.) My wife noted a whirling sound coming from the engine when we were under way.

5.) When first looking at the service records, my wife recalls seeing one that had a marginal note referencing a leaking cac tube. The owner decline to have it repaired at the time stating he would make the repair himself when he returned to his home. He doesn't remember what he did.

So my question is do we take our chances or keep looking?

If we move on, we may make an offer on a 2005 Adventurer 33V with full body paint. The exterior looks like new. The interior is about average for a coach with 48,000 miles. The Adventurer has a Vortec engine that sounds good. The ride is OK but the coach has a tendency to wander. Not bad, but definitely a step down from the Allure.

The big plus on the Winnebago is the size. I can park it at the house. A big plus for the Allure is the engine. A Cummins 8.3 rated at 325hp. Since we're on the West Coast and will be doing a lot of mountain driving and I'd prefer the diesel.

We can get into the Allure for about $15,000 less than the Winne and if $15,000 would address all the Allures problems, I think that's what I'd like to do. Need to move fast on this one. Based on my research the price on the Allure is quite good. However, the price on the Winne is also very good.
It sounds like you will only be happy with the CC. And that $15,000 may just cover your expenses...hopefully! It is a bit concerning when the seller won't let you have the coach checked out!
fiverwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

If I was buying, I would invest the first $3 or $400 of the $15K "reserve" in getting the coach looked at by a diesel truck mechanic. If the Seller won't let you do it, don't walk, run. Engine problems are costly, mostly. Anything else, the change on your $15K will easily cover. Check tires and replace batteries...
Old 03-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
owner says know RUN FOREST RUN
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks for the replys. This is a huge disappointment. We have been looking for two years and this coach is exactly what we want. I hear what you are saying with the walk don't run comments and that's what we will probably do. I'm going to call one more time and plead my case. If he still refuses we'll call it a day.

Gary
Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #7

As said , owner not allowing inspection raises a BIG flag. There are alot of clean used DP's for sale. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Did you offer to pay for the inspection?
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy some running shoes keep shopping
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #10

As others said, demand the inspection AT YOUR EXPENSE. If he says no, do not purchase this coach.

Another thought, there are a ton of quality used coaches available and you are comparing an apple and an orange. You may need to widen your search range to find precisely what you want.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
KJD

"The big plus on the Winnebago is the size. I can park it at the house. A big plus for the Allure is the engine. A Cummins 8.3 rated at 325hp. Since we're on the West Coast and will be doing a lot of mountain driving and I'd prefer the diesel. "

The 8.1 in the Winnebago is 330 hp so dont get to up set with the gasser. Granted it will be a tab bit on the loud side when it is pulling a grade but it will keep up with the Cummins all day long..............KJD
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #12

There are many very nice used coaches in the lots in Yuma, AZ this time of year ... gassers, pushers, fifth wheels ...

Don't think these are the only two rigs available ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
We looked at the Winnebago again. We agreed on a price and will likely do the deal Tuesday or Wednesday so have a few more days for any input.

My only question now is whether or not it makes sense to do an inspection. I'm not concerned with the house stuff since I'm pretty confident I can do that my self. Unlike the Country Coach, it doesn't have a lot of systems I'm not familiar with. The coach is in excellent condition and has 48,000 miles*on the clock. It has loads of power, shifts well and has no steering wander.

So what the consensus on having a gas coach inspected. It's the Vortec 8.1 with a 5 speed Allison tranny. It sits on a 22,000 chassis and has 22.5 tires. It behaves very well on the road.

Tags
gas, winnebago