Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
My problem is that the tension unwound because the fabric (vinyl) ripped completely across causing the roller to spin undone. So we need to turn it to get tension back before sliding in the fabric. After that the instructions from RVgeeks works. In the vid they unroll the fabric then stick screw drivers in the tube to keep the tension. Our tension is already lost. We can trial and error the tension if it turns to be loose. If it's too tight I worry something bad will happen. I have looked at a few vids.

Sorry if I seem dense. Is it easier than I think?

Just call A&E, give them the model number of the topper, and they will give you the correct tension.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Just call A&E, give them the model number of the topper, and they will give you the correct tension.
I could not find their number but they do have an email contact so I sent them the model number and a brief description of my problem. Hopefully they will get back to me. Not really in a hurry because we are parked for a while.

Thanks again for the help.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I could not find their number but they do have an email contact so I sent them the model number and a brief description of my problem. Hopefully they will get back to me. Not really in a hurry because we are parked for a while.

Thanks again for the help.
Mark, try this number: 954-973-2477
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Dometic came through

After only a few hours Dometic emailed me back and 13 turns it is. They also attached detailed instructions on a PDF that I believe I have already seen online. The way they do it seems like more work than necessary but they sure know more about it than I do.

Now I am waiting on the canvas guy to finish the new one.

I attached the file they sent for anyone interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3106819.075slidetopper.pdf (378.3 KB, 370 views)
Old 05-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #19

OK, let me give it a try. If you wrap the new fabric on the tube completely then the spring will be slack. Then with the slide closed you insert the RV end of the fabric into the channel, the spring is still slack. Attach the hardware to the slide out. The spring is still slack. When everything is hooked up run the slide room out. The spring should now have a load sufficient to hold it firm. When you run the slide back in the spring will be slack. The movement of the slide will load and unload the spring.

I fear if you try to put 13 turns on a slide topper it will not accept it. But, if you want to pre load the spring a turn or two, hold the mounting hardware and then have someone pull the fabric. The spring will load. When you get the pre-load tension where you want it, pin both ends. Then install as stated above.

I think the 13 turns are for a full size awning which may be 8 or 10 feet wide. The topper is only two or three feet. Hope this helps.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
OK, let me give it a try. If you wrap the new fabric on the tube completely then the spring will be slack. Then with the slide closed you insert the RV end of the fabric into the channel, the spring is still slack. Attach the hardware to the slide out. The spring is still slack. When everything is hooked up run the slide room out. The spring should now have a load sufficient to hold it firm. When you run the slide back in the spring will be slack. The movement of the slide will load and unload the spring.

I fear if you try to put 13 turns on a slide topper it will not accept it. But, if you want to pre load the spring a turn or two, hold the mounting hardware and then have someone pull the fabric. The spring will load. When you get the pre-load tension where you want it, pin both ends. Then install as stated above.

I think the 13 turns are for a full size awning which may be 8 or 10 feet wide. The topper is only two or three feet. Hope this helps.
Sorry to get back to this after so long.

What I would like to do is leave the tube attached, pre-load the tension and slide the new fabric into the tube and the rail on the MH. All of the instructions I see involve either a new install or removing the hardware. I can't see the point. I have seen a video where the fabric was replaced with this method but the tension was still on the roller. Does that make sense?
Old 10-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #21

Hello! I found your posts after much searching. I have the same problem. The fabric ripped completely from front to back and both rollers have lost tension. I was wondering if you could give me any helpful tips as to how to recover from this situation? There is very little information I can find! Any information is greatly appreciated!
brianh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #22

I had the slide topper off a friends 5thwheel, had to remove and straighten the mounting brackets. You'll just have to guess why that was needed.

What I found at the time was to tension the fabric with seven turns when the slide was completely closed, the starting point. As you extend the slide to its fully extended position, it may wind to 11,12,13,14,15 or so winds depending on how wide the slide is and the diameter of the roller.

Winding the slide to seven turns is easy by hand and very nearly matched the number of turns it took to unwind the tension when I started to work on it.

Start with the seven turns and if you have some additional toppers, turn one of them by hand to see if the tension is similar.

If you don't think the topper is tight enough with the slide fully extended, then wind the roller an additional two turns by hand, if you can do that, then it's safe to set the roller one turn tighter than the seven turns you started with.

Just be sure you keep a full turn margin when fully extended.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:31 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One owner said awning damage usually limited to first 6-inches, due to sun/weather damage, and rest is all good. Cut off 12", reseam the edge, and reinstall?
Old 10-29-2022, 08:28 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sunbrella is the best material for toppers. It will last the life of your RV.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carefree gives a chart for length vs #turns; I imagine A&E website has a chart also?
Old 10-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #26

Yesterday I climbed up a ladder to measure for awning replacement and noticed that I have not actually lost spring tension. The anti-billowing devices on both sides functioned and stopped the tubes from unrolling more than 1-2 to 3/4 of a turn. So things are not as bad as I thought. Thanks to everyone for their help! I still need to install the new awnings when they arrive and much of what I learned on this thread will make that job much easier. Thank you all! Brian
brianh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:29 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought mine, would not rewind but half way; found it was over 8ft, so dual springs, and REAR spring NOT wound. I suspect roof replacement Tech from 2yrs earlier did not wind rear spring, but I converted my Carefree to hand-crank.

Tags
slide