Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #1

A/C will not keep up

How effective is foil in the windows to keep a coach cool during 90+ degree days?

I have a 2002 Jayco Avatar with a heat pump/AC unit and it will not creep the house cool.

It’s gets 90 + degrees in side
bootgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum. Yes, it will help, A LOT.

On my ole Mirada, I did a couple things. This allowed the single 13k BTU A/C unit to keep the inside cool even in 115deg Phoenix heat.
  • I tinted the windows, BIG HELP.
  • Plug all openings, i.e. the roof vents let in a lot of heat, even when closed.
  • I have a roof skylight in the bath. I painted the outside white. It still let in some light, but BIG difference in letting in heat.
  • I made reflectors for the windshield with silvered bubble wrap insulating material.
  • I made a modification to the A/C ceiling unit to enhance the air flow.

Here are a couple links to the articles I wrote:

Window tint and window covers – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
Beat the heat – Improving air flow from the air conditioner ceiling unit – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure the coils on your ac unit/s are clean. You will need it work at maximum performance. Putting the foil on the outside of the rig will work better than putting it on the inside. Lastly if possible park facing north so the sun heats the front drivers area as little as possible. The windshield is the biggest culprit of excessive heat in the summertime.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Make sure the coils on your ac unit/s are clean. You will need it work at maximum performance. Putting the foil on the outside of the rig will work better than putting it on the inside. Lastly if possible park facing north so the sun heats the front drivers area as little as possible. The windshield is the biggest culprit of excessive heat in the summertime.

I have the black windows on all windows except the windshield, and driver/passenger side windows.
My AC guy says the coach AC unit is running as it should but says it will not keep up with the btu increase in the hot weather.
bootgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootgar View Post
How effective is foil in the windows to keep a coach cool during 90+ degree days?

I have a 2002 Jayco Avatar with a heat pump/AC unit and it will not creep the house cool.

It’s gets 90 + degrees in side

I am assuming you have 2 units and both are running. Are they running properly, is the air cool? I think the windshield is the biggest problem cover outside with sun screen.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
On my RV I have to start the AC unit before it gets warm inside - often that means running it all night.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
pull your slides in during the day. You can also hang a curtain across the width of coach behind the drivers seat. The front windshield is a big heat gain. If you're parked pointed north, it will help. A windshield cover on the outside is helpful (something like magna shades)
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #8

Line all your upper cabinets with Reflectix............i'm in 102 weather today, and 22 degrees cooler in here using a 13,500 A/C
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #9

I didn't want to cover my interior in bubble wrap, but I also didn't like the 85° inside after the A/C had been running all day.

Try this to reduce your output air temp. It costs nothing but 10 minutes of your time.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ice-12980.html

Knocking 10-15° off the cold air temp makes a huge difference.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #10

A properly cooling A/C will show around 16-22 degree differential between incoming air and outflow. Add to that the volume of air in the coach that must be cooled by circulating through the A/C, plus the fact that air is constantly being heated, and you can see why it's difficult for it to keep up, especially if the A/C is started after the ambient/inside air is already hot.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

The Reflectix insulated foil that you can buy at Lowes,Home Depot or Camping World is very effective over the windows to keep the heat out. I bought a roll of it that is 48" wide and cut a piece to place inside the windshield when parked. It does a great job!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Best things you can do...park in a shady spot. If you can't then you need to create as much as possible. Awnings over windows, slide toppers and exterior black screen mesh window coverings over windows that can't be covered by an awning or other shade producing device. Black is more efficient than lighter colored mesh coverings.

Using the reflective bubble wrap will help but it has consequences too. Such as superheating your glass and the rubber gasket material that holds it in place. This causes deterioration and expedites dry rotting of said material.

RV A/C units are only designed to keep the ambient air temp inside about 10-15 degrees cooler than what is outside. Give the A/C as much lead time as possible to beat the heat. Set them to the desired temp and turn them on as early as you can. Instead of turning them colder as the heat builds, raise the temp selected up a degree or two during the hottest part of the day. Remember it will not cool much below the ten degrees cooler than the outside temp.

You can increase your rigs insulation efficiency by using that reflective bubble wrap to line the inside of the back wall of the cabinets. Insert those vent pillows in the vents and apply a reflective film to the other transparent blisters such as those over the shower to lower the amount of radiant energy that penetrates.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote