Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #1

A cheap TPMS is worse than no TPMS

With about 50 miles remaining on a recent trip I noticed (on my $70 StoreBao TPMS no longer available from Amazon) that the rear outside driver side tire pressure was about 6 psi higher than the inner. While stopped shortly after, I used my laser gun to check the temperatures and saw that the outer was about 7 degrees hotter than the inner and the other 4 tires. I decided I would complete the trip then check all the pressures in the morning when everything was cooled off (ambient was about 86 degrees). The next morning I found that the braided steel valve extension on the inner driver side tire, along with the valve itself were GONE!. I could stick my pressure gauge right into the tire through the hole where the valve had been! And the TPMS was still reporting the same pressure for that tire!

Lesson learned. I'll now get extended valve stems installed so no more extensions. I'll also get a "real" TPMS. Anyone have any issues with the TireTraker TT-600?

Also this motorhome weighs about 9000 lbs empty and was probably about 10,500 at the time of the failure. If the weight distribution is 60% rear and 40% front (I'm guessing it's closer to 50/50) then the rear weighed about 6,300 lbs. That means the outer tire was carrying about 3,150 lbs. The tires are rated at 2680 lbs at max pressure. Since it was close to max pressure (75 psi vs 80) then it was definitely overloaded but not so much as to cause permanent damage. That's my hope and I'll have the tire shop verify when they install the new extended valves.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 10:15 AM   #2

TPMS

I wanted a blue tooth TPMS as I wanted to hear trouble anouncments over the dash radio
I got the one (link below ) from amazon for $25 and another brand for $25 so I could monitor all 6 tires.
Total cost about $50.

I really like this setup. Its cheap yes but it works the way I want it too.
And, it did save me from disaster on my first trip out. I had not upgraded to steel valve stems on the outer tires ( stupid i know ) so when I went to leave my campground the system told me both my outer tires were flat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am leaving on a 2000 mile trip Monday, so if I have problems I'll update.

Wish me luck

Kip
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:11 PM   #3

I have the TireTrakr; comes with the repeater and works great. 36' MH towing.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tire Traker 400 system w/repeater has worked great for me for over 10 years now.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:36 AM   #5
RDG

Did you have bolt in valve stems or were you using rubber valve stems?
Old 07-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Slatsup
Tire Traker 600 since March of this year. Maybe 1500 miles driven so far and it has worked very well. Repeater/booster was necessary and prompted the purchase of the Tire Traker since I had previously bought and attempted to use one of the under $100 TPMS systems from Amazon. It worked ok except it would lose the rear outer tires signals showing I needed a repeater. That and the price point as well as the reviews clinched this TPMS for me.

My only con- and it's a small one- is that it just displays one tire at a time so if you want to see all the tire pressures and temps you have to cycle through each one. Not that big of a deal, but I didn't realize this when I purchased it.

I can recommend it though.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #7

We've put over 30k miles on our Tire Tracker TPMS system with only one tire sensor failure that was replaced under their lifetime warranty asap and with no customer service drama. It's been completely reliable.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:08 AM   #8

What size tire only has a 2680 lbs load rating? That seems pretty low for any truck tire.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
Did you have bolt in valve stems or were you using rubber valve stems?

Rubber
Old 07-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
What size tire only has a 2680 lbs load rating? That seems pretty low for any truck tire.

Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD LT225/75R16 Load Range E
Old 07-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
With about 50 miles remaining on a recent trip I noticed (on my $70 StoreBao TPMS no longer available from Amazon) that the rear outside driver side tire pressure was about 6 psi higher than the inner. While stopped shortly after, I used my laser gun to check the temperatures and saw that the outer was about 7 degrees hotter than the inner and the other 4 tires. I decided I would complete the trip then check all the pressures in the morning when everything was cooled off (ambient was about 86 degrees). The next morning I found that the braided steel valve extension on the inner driver side tire, along with the valve itself were GONE!. I could stick my pressure gauge right into the tire through the hole where the valve had been! And the TPMS was still reporting the same pressure for that tire!

Lesson learned. I'll now get extended valve stems installed so no more extensions. I'll also get a "real" TPMS. Anyone have any issues with the TireTraker TT-600?

Also this motorhome weighs about 9000 lbs empty and was probably about 10,500 at the time of the failure. If the weight distribution is 60% rear and 40% front (I'm guessing it's closer to 50/50) then the rear weighed about 6,300 lbs. That means the outer tire was carrying about 3,150 lbs. The tires are rated at 2680 lbs at max pressure. Since it was close to max pressure (75 psi vs 80) then it was definitely overloaded but not so much as to cause permanent damage. That's my hope and I'll have the tire shop verify when they install the new extended valves.
My MH is similar to yours with a GVWR of 11,030. I have used the Tire Traker TT-600 and the dually valve stems
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...lly-valve-kits
for two years and about 10,000 miles. It works great but I did have a minor issue which they took care of, my monitor started going to sleep intermittently while driving then it would wake back up a bit later. I sent it back and either they fixed it or sent a new one but on my last trip of around 1,600 miles it worked fine. If I recall mine has a lifetime warranty. I also bought 8 sensors so I would have one for the spare tire and another for a backup in case one gets lost or damaged.

As a side note, the Tire Traker, and I believe all TPMS in general, does not report up to the second real time numbers on the display. It will keep checking every so often (every minute, or 5 min? not really sure) and update the screen periodically. You can force an update by pressing and holding two buttons then the display goes to zero and begins the update process, which for me takes several minutes. When you first power up in the morning your numbers will still be on the display from last night until it updates, I usually force an update when I start the engine, otherwise it takes movement for the device to do it.
This delay in reporting does not affect a sudden pressure loss which is reported immediately, just the general monitoring is delayed and as I understand it this is to prolong battery life. A sudden pressure drop of a pre set amount (something like 10 lbs if I recall) will trigger an instant update (and alarm) of that tire.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:52 PM   #12
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Rubber
You should never use any extensions with rubber valve stems, bolt in only. If you did have bolt in extensions installed, you should have no more issues.
Bob
Old 07-05-2022, 03:33 PM   #13

TT600

I had to replace the tt600 as it would drop wheels at random while going down the road. I mean all fine for 2-3 hours, which means the signal booster was in place and working then suddenly a no signal alert on any of the rear wheels at random. I would pull over and check, and all units in place and tires holding pressure. Sometimes it would come back online in minutes, sometimes not until the next day. These false alerts caused me to have to ignore loss of signal alerts, but it cost me 2 tires and a significant amount of damage when I also lost a valve extension while going down the road. It took off the last half inch of the stem, and the tire went down without me knowing it. Tire was destroyed, and the remaining tire overloaded, and it shredded less than a 1000 miles later. Using TireMinder now, and basically a tire paranoid freak while driving down the road now. NO longer getting dropped signals, but still tweaking the high pressure settings to match what my tires go up to when they get hot. Very expensive lessons learned about Tpms systems. Never did figure out what was going on with the TT600 as it is very well recommended here and elsewhere.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:14 PM   #14

We have used TST successfully for over 10 years. TST is an active company and has upgraded their technology since we started with them. The current version let us know about 2 tire failures (one pretty fast) before the tire was completely flat. The valve stem sensors need new batteries about every 2 years and occasionally need new parts with replacement parts readily available from the company. The best reliable service is obtained by installing a repeater. The monitor will jump to the problem tire when one goes out of range. A while back some were complaining online about slow response on blow out--that has not been our experience with the two in the last 15 months. We were able to catch them before trailer damage occurred. Officially the sensors report in every 6 seconds.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms