Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #15

I have found most "R.V. SALES REPS" know nothing about rv's ... but that's my opinion
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Problem with stire credit us you have to use it to buy at the dealers high / inflated prices. Dealer wants to give you store credit because it costs them less.
Hi Vince, I asked for store credit as I knew they will not give me cash.
I would make sure I could use with their service department. I do not plan to spend a red cent on accessories at this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
To parallel 12volt you need 2cables + to + and - to -. On 6 volt series you need 1 cable + to -. This is for two batteries. You need less cabling to do series than parallel.

Thanks Len, I will get my buddy who is good with electrics to help me.

LEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyman View Post
I have found most "R.V. SALES REPS" know nothing about rv's ... but that's my opinion
I hear you on that grumpyman.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyman View Post
The sales rep I bought my last two motorhomes from owns an Itasca Cambria class C and DOES know about motorhomes. Very knowledgeable indeed. It's the policy of the dealership to allow the buyer of a new coach to exchange the 12 v house batteries for full retail value for 6 v batteries. I had the 12 v batteries replaced with 6 v Trojan T105's and paid the small difference.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First you need to know that some folks are, for example, certified Electronics Technicians.. others have training as engineers and still more experience. But most folks.. NONE OF THE AVOVE (By the way I'm all the above just so you know.. Do not feel intimated by me however for you too clearly have EXPIERENCE and that is the best teacher)

Was kind of fun in one of my electronics class. We had to demonstrate we knew how to do something I'd been doing for a decade.. No problem Ace-ing that one As I said Expierenced .

next page.. I have been flamed for this but it explains teh dealer's error

THERE ARE NO SIX VOLT BATTERIES IN RV's. only 12 volt.

Now how can I say that when I can take one step to my right and clearly see a pair of DEKA G-20 Six volt golf car batteries in my RV (After opening access?)

Smple

-{6v}+-{6v}+ = one big 12 volt battery

This is what the dealer's man failed to understand

As an electronics Tech and designer I"m used to putting multiple CELLS in series to make a BATTERY of the desired voltage. I've made batteries at 3 volts, 4.5, 9, 12, 24 and up to 90 volts for special needs, all by adding smaller batteries or cells in series.

A Single cell is called a CELL.. Though we may say "D" Cell Battery the fact is it is a D Cell. put 5 of them in a Mag Light and you have a 5 Cell or 7.5 volt BATTERY.

Put a pair of six volt batteries in series,, You have a 12 volt battery.

The dealer did not understand that.
The sales guy also has an isue with holes.. one of which is a hole in the ground.. but alas there is a lot of that goign around these days.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
For the record, those proposed batteries are really good ones. Made by east penn / deka, a name most boaters know quite well. Same as the Duracell branded batteries from batteries + and Sam's. They are used with good results at a good price also.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

No secret - 12v marine/RV deep cycles are much cheaper than 12v deep cycles. Cheaper than golf car deep cycles too, at least at their prices.

BTW, merely having a CCA rating should not scare you away. Some of the top deep cycle brands, e.g.Lifeline, carry CCA as well as AH and RC ratings. You should expect a true deep cycle to have a lower CCA/MCA rating than a starting battery, but it's ok to have one. Battery advertising that features a high CCA/MCA should make you investigate further, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #21

Thanks all for the replies.

The PDI Tech said the batteries tested ok so did not receive a credit for them.

I won't be purchasing new batteries for a few weeks so will see how these hold up. I will budget on a replacement.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will add. I know of at least one RVer who had teh dealer change his 12's for 6's.. now he bought an even numer of six volt but the idiots at an RV dealership I have actually been to wired 'em all in parallel. Not paired in series then the pairs in parallel. Naturally it did not work.

Frankly. a lot of dealers When I call the workers "Technicians" or Mechanics..... I'm using the terms very very loosely.

I"m trained in electronics (Certified) and Mechanics (not certified) and have out thunk many who were FACTORY TRAINED over the years..
Old 05-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #23

I hear you on that :-)
Old 05-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
No secret - 12v marine/RV deep cycles are much cheaper than 12v deep cycles. Cheaper than golf car deep cycles too, at least at their prices.

BTW, merely having a CCA rating should not scare you away. Some of the top deep cycle brands, e.g.Lifeline, carry CCA as well as AH and RC ratings. You should expect a true deep cycle to have a lower CCA/MCA rating than a starting battery, but it's ok to have one. Battery advertising that features a high CCA/MCA should make you investigate further, though.
Hi Gary,

So is the green battery I showed a decent one?

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi Gary,

So is the green battery I showed a decent one?

Thanks,
No, it is not. That battery is listed as dual purpose and is more of a starting battery than a deep cycle battery. It does not list an amp hours rating.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of thr fun parts of being a Transportation Engineer with the State of WA was when the newbie engineers arrived on site. We always figured it took about 2 years of actual ecperience to bring them down to earth.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
No, it is not. That battery is listed as dual purpose and is more of a starting battery than a deep cycle battery. It does not list an amp hours rating.
thanks 757 driver, I will be getting new ones.

Tags
batteries, dealer, house batteries