Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #1

Accurate fridge/freezer thermometer?

I'm on my 3rd Acurite thermometers in a year. I tested them against 3 HVAC thermometers and the Acurite are a laugh, at best. The last one was 7 degrees off.

Has anyone found and using something that is accurate? Spot on tested accurate. I don't care about the cost I'm just looking for something that will last and, more importantly, report accurate temps.

The scariest part is just the thought of how many RVers are relying on these and then eating bad food. I don't usually knock products or vendors, but this one warrants attention.

Jim58
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #2

We've tried a lot of refrigerator/freezer thermometers and the one we always go back to is the Rubbermaid analog one. It always seems to rate at or near the top of the surveys we've seen online too. The reason we keep going back to them is that they are pretty consistent from one to the other when comparing it to itself ...the same brand/model. In other words, all of our Rubbermaid thermometers are all within about one degree of each other.

You'd think the digital ones would be the best but not necessarily so. We've witnessed inconsistent readings from the digital ones too as we tried a lot of them. Several years back, we even spent close to $100 on one of those "high accuracy" digital ones that restaurants use and had all kinds of trouble with it ...battery problems mostly. We ended up using it for about a year and then throwing it out as it no longer worked.

Here's the one that we use and have used them in both the refrigerator and freezer ...actually, they are considered "commercial" thermometers by Rubbermaid --Amazon link:

Rubbermaid Commercial Products Stainless Steel Refrigerator/Freezer Thermometer

Some recent online reviews of refrigerator thermometers:

8 Best Refrigerator Thermometers

The Best Refrigerator Thermometer - 2021

7 Best Refrigerator Thermometers in 2021
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #3

https://www.thermoworks.com/shop/products/Fridge-Alarms

Consumer grade to certified.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Not sure which Accurite you have but I have 2 of these (one in the S&B and one in the MH) and they have been absolutely rock solid for a few years now.

The first one was when we had a Dometic absorption and it was all over the place (refrigerator not thermometer) and since we have upgraded to a Residential unit it shows the temps to be absolutely solid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:10 PM   #5

Ice cream in freezer and Beer in food compartment
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Not sure which Accurite you have but I have 2 of these (one in the S&B and one in the MH) and they have been absolutely rock solid for a few years now.

The first one was when we had a Dometic absorption and it was all over the place (refrigerator not thermometer) and since we have upgraded to a Residential unit it shows the temps to be absolutely solid.

That is the one I use, it’s a absorption dometic, been using it for over 4 years, I never had a problem, I just change out the battery when things get screwy. I think it works well it also depends on where you locate the sensor. Freezer it doesn’t matter but I found the refer section it does.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Agree with Johnhicks. Thermoworks is the way to go. I have lots of their stuff at home for grilling and bbq'ing. This one is not an alarm, but inexpensive and accurate:

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermodrop

Regards.

Chuck
Old 03-27-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:

Thats the one I just received. It's going back. Not sure what you mean by rock solid. This one is off 6 degrees, tested against 3 different HVAC thermometer.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
Thats the one I just received. It's going back. Not sure what you mean by rock solid. This one is off 6 degrees, tested against 3 different HVAC thermometer.
I must have gotten lucky with the 2 I have had for a couple of years.....both within 1* of my infrared thermostat....Maybe they've changed something
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
We've tried a lot of refrigerator/freezer thermometers and the one we always go back to is the Rubbermaid analog one. It always seems to rate at or near the top of the surveys we've seen online too. The reason we keep going back to them is that they are pretty consistent from one to the other when comparing it to itself ...the same brand/model. In other words, all of our Rubbermaid thermometers are all within about one degree of each other.

You'd think the digital ones would be the best but not necessarily so. We've witnessed inconsistent readings from the digital ones too as we tried a lot of them. Several years back, we even spent close to $100 on one of those "high accuracy" digital ones that restaurants use and had all kinds of trouble with it ...battery problems mostly. We ended up using it for about a year and then throwing it out as it no longer worked.

Here's the one that we use and have used them in both the refrigerator and freezer ...actually, they are considered "commercial" thermometers by Rubbermaid --Amazon link:

The Rubbermaid is dead on. Thanks
Old 04-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
The Rubbermaid is dead on. Thanks
The issue for us with an analog is we don't care too much about absolute accuracy, we want the high temperature alarm function. If we bought one and it was off by a bunch, I'd just return it. No big deal.

Once we had the fridge trip off by itself in the middle of the night due to a fridge fault and the Acurite notified us in time. The folks next to us last year came back after a day away and found they had accidentally turned their Dometic off while loading it with food that morning. So they started cooking everything in their freezer and then bought a temp sensor with an alarm function. And tossed a bunch of food they had just purchased that day. They're Canadian so it cost them even more than it would an American.

Our Acurite has also been rock-solid for almost two years so maybe it's the luck of the draw.

Ray
Old 04-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post

OK, you've convinced me! I'm ordering the Rubbermaid Commercial.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #13

I also have 2 of this style for reefer and freezer. They seem to work properly and I am happy with the product (I take the batteries out during the winter). I did try two Accurite residential indoor/outdoor wireless thermometers and each one failed within a few months.

Quote:

2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, fridge