Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I have a 36' Class A, and will be in Louisiana for several months this winter/spring. I was there a year ago and found the mosquitos to be oppressive at night.

To fend off the mosquitos, et.al., I'd like to put up a screen room under my awning. I've been looking at A&E's Patty O'Rooms and Carefree's "Add A Room."

Do any Class A folks use these and does anyone have experience with or advice regarding screen rooms? Thanks! janice
rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #2

Hi everyone,

I have a 36' Class A, and will be in Louisiana for several months this winter/spring. I was there a year ago and found the mosquitos to be oppressive at night.

To fend off the mosquitos, et.al., I'd like to put up a screen room under my awning. I've been looking at A&E's Patty O'Rooms and Carefree's "Add A Room."

Do any Class A folks use these and does anyone have experience with or advice regarding screen rooms? Thanks! janice
Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Janice, we use a Patty O' Room, it is up now. Since we stay for extended periods we put it up as it does help with bugs and keeps the patio area cleaner from leaves and things. We have enjoyed ours. Be sure to take into concideration the compartment doors as you will want to be able to open some if not all without having to unsnap the side panels fromt the wall. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:44 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
We have one for our Damon. It works, but they are not 'perfect'. there will be some gaps especially along the MH side, wheelwells etc. Make sure you use some insect repellant in those areas, or the standard 'OFF' stuff. It should help a lot, and it does provide a nice screened in 'room' area.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 AM   #5

We have had one for 2 months now. Initially it took half a day to get it up. You have to put grommets into side of unit and near roof top a recepticle for the pole (front and back) to hold up the side awnings. We are still adapting it to keep our cats inside. Other difficulty is that the zipper for opening door section quickly becomes difficult to operate. Whether this is because it is plastic or not, don't know. Overall we like it. There are openings so it is not a complete seal. Will have to work on mosquito control when we hit the south again.

2006 National Seabreeze
FloridaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:26 AM   #6

Thanks a lot, everyone. FloridaAnn, do you have a Patty O'Room or an "Add A Room"? I'm asking because you talked about grommets & installation & such. As I travel alone, I probably wouldn't put a screen room it up unless I'm on a six-week + volunteer gig with the Forest Service, Wildlife or such.

I'm interested in these rooms also because my little old dog is on "house arrest" whenever we travel. At home, he has a yard to run, but when we are on the road, he has to be inside or on a leash. It's tough on him. So if there was an "outside" area where he could lounge, I think he'd be happier.

Gotta keep the dog happy!! LOL.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:35 AM   #7

We had a screen room on our 99 winny brave, I didn't care for it as it was a pain to put up and take down. Also when a storm comes up you are left with the awning out. On our new to us coach the awning is electric so we went with a 18 foot round free standing screen room by coleman, much more practial and seals better against bugs.
dfogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 AM   #8

I've thought about this weather issue as well. My last stint in Louisiana included some pretty hefty wind/rain storms (including some tornado warnings). The free-standing room would be easier for me to put up as a single, and I could put my pup in there as well to "air out."

On the alternative, I'd only put the screen room up if I'd be staying for an extended period. Hmmm.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #9

the patty o room is great, but it does take some work to set up. you also need to be very careful of wind, as tearing this thing down is not a 2 second job (plus you have all that stuff in your new room!)
I had a few issues with stakes pulling and doing some damage to my awning as a gust lifted the awning up and slammed it down.

I also didnt like how the gap at the motorhome was solved. they use velcro to attach these panels. the velcro glue dried up and yellowed on my rig by the end of the first summer (3 years ago). i have been working on a better solution, but have not needed it for extended times since.
Doggie room: if your dog is creative, this may not be a good solution, as they can get out. if you have ever used an electric pet fence, they have some excellent versions that create a space around your vehicle that they can roam without setting off the collar. petsafe is the company. not cheap, but cheaper than a patty o room, and may work as well or better.
Zippers: i had 2 tear off. I use silicone on them and it seems to help.
Overall, its a pretty good setup. you buy panels to meet your need. the main kit sells you the door, a large pannel for the front and the side pannels, the strips for around the RV and all the hardware. then you buy 4 or 8 foot panels to make it fit. i bought a few extra panels just in case and it proved to be the right move.

later!
bk

2004 BigFoot 29SL
Bill Killen is offline   Reply With Quote