Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Adding Additional Stop/Turn Lights

After experiencing our first real trip/vacation on our 39' coach, I felt that additional turn/brake lights mounted higher and even perhaps outboard would be beneficial.

If you have made this modification, please post pictures and ideas!

Below is a picture of the rear of our coach, obviously without additional lighting.

Regards,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It shouldn't be too hard of a job for a DIYer. Usually the rear cap has a space between the actual coach body and the fiberglass cap, leaving room for wiring. I'd be sure to use LED lights to reduce the amperage draw. Drill the holes for the new lights, drop the wires down and connect them to the existing lights.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It shouldn't be too hard of a job for a DIYer. Usually the rear cap has a space between the actual coach body and the fiberglass cap, leaving room for wiring. I'd be sure to use LED lights to reduce the amperage draw. Drill the holes for the new lights, drop the wires down and connect them to the existing lights.
I am definitely a do it myself person, thanks for the tips.

Being noticed, and having your planned action noticed, is paramount when driving anything, but even more so with these big rigs. Someone could literally be along side you, unable to see your front or rear indicators. Possessing a CDL myself, I am always looking for ways to improve safety and it just appears to me that the large coaches lack a bit in the lighting department. DOT compliant, yes.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I am definitely a do it myself person, thanks for the tips.

Being noticed, and having your planned action noticed, is paramount when driving anything, but even more so with these big rigs. Someone could literally be along side you, unable to see your front or rear indicators. Possessing a CDL myself, I am always looking for ways to improve safety and it just appears to me that the large coaches lack a bit in the lighting department. DOT compliant, yes.
Monkey Run,
While I applaud your intent and, for good reasoning, one thing I'd do if I were you before starting this venture is, check your DMV code book and possibly FMVSS book for codes on lights and, parameters. If I recall, there are limitations on heights etc. for brake lights, turn signals etc. I'd hate for you to go through all this alteration and fabrication only to he hassled by some irate LE who's got nothing better to do. There are some coaches out there with more tail lights on the rear than "Carter has liver pills" if you know what I mean.
I forget who the makers/brands/models are but, there's some that have as many as SIX OR EIGHT full lights, ON EACH SIDE, FROM THE FACTORY.

So, good luck and, please post pics when you're done.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #5

I recently added one of THESE flasher modules to the rear lights on the RV and a different (cheaper) unit which only flashes the 3rd, eye level, brake light to the towed

THEY both seem to work really well.

The RV lights and the towed 3rd light flash at different rates which really captures one's attention.

Tim

RV = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3&sr=8-3-spell

Choice of 2 flash rate modes. Read in specs. I use mode 2.

Towed = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&sr=8-1-spell

Flash rate = 4 fast then 4 slow then steady while brake is on.
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

Scott,

Thank you for the tip, I did check it previously without finding anything negative, however, I'll run it past my cop friends just to be sure. Ultimately, something to enhance the turn light from the side and the stop lights from the rear is my goal.

You will notice that for several years now, many SUVs and pickups have turn lights included in the large outside mirrors. This is to warn drivers of an impending lane change whereby the rear turn signals might be just out of view, or perhaps a driver not paying attention.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #7

Tim is that an AH 3000? It would be my all time favorite car.

I checked those links, thanks.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #8

Just noticed you are a brother firefighter Scott.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Tim is that an AH 3000? It would be my all time favorite car.
Actually, a 1959 100-6 with a 300 HP small block Ford V8 and 4-speed Automatic OverDrive transmission. I first modified in 1974. Still own and drive. It IS a Rocket Sled....

Engine 1995 - 2010.

Engine 2010 - now

4 HD8 SU carbs, Electronic No-Distributor ignition, A/C plus a lot more.

Tim
Old 11-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #10

Nice job on the engine drivetrain conversion. Even the single wire Delco alternator. Why did you change the rocker covers? I liked the chrome ones better. LOL
Lynn
Old 11-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Scott,

Thank you for the tip, I did check it previously without finding anything negative, however, I'll run it past my cop friends just to be sure. Ultimately, something to enhance the turn light from the side and the stop lights from the rear is my goal.

You will notice that for several years now, many SUVs and pickups have turn lights included in the large outside mirrors. This is to warn drivers of an impending lane change whereby the rear turn signals might be just out of view, or perhaps a driver not paying attention.
Don,
The chances of you being hassled due to having maybe higher than normal brake and signal lights is probably pretty slim. I've got a buddy that's got a Foretravel ultra nice coach, (it's one of those really expensive full body paint things) and he's got really high brake/turn lights, as in around a foot from the top. He's been stopped more than once for it. I don't remember the outcome of his stops though.

And yes, I'm a retired San Diego Fireman. Been gone now for just over 6 years. Great career, had good memories, but, when the day came, I never looked back.

As for the turn signals in the mirrors, take a look at the pictures below. I came up with a little project for our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. Long story short, I installed those "arrow LEDs" in the back side of my mirrors on the bike. The LEDs shine right through the mirror when flashing but, are invisible when not. It was a fun little project that took me the better part of a couple days.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
I recently added one of THESE flasher modules to the rear lights on the RV and a different (cheaper) unit which only flashes the 3rd, eye level, brake light to the towed

THEY both seem to work really well.

The RV lights and the towed 3rd light flash at different rates which really captures one's attention.

Tim

RV = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3&sr=8-3-spell

Choice of 2 flash rate modes. Read in specs. I use mode 2.

Towed = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&sr=8-1-spell

Flash rate = 4 fast then 4 slow then steady while brake is on.
Healyman,
First off, nice little stuffing of the V-8 in the Healy. I always wanted to do that to a Bug-Eyed Sprite. Then I've wanted to do it to a 240Z. Haven't done either one yet. Still got time.

Anyway, your mention of the Signal Dynamics Wig Wag Brake light modulator is all too familiar with me. I installed one on our '08 Honda Goldwing. It creates all kinds of commotion back there with all those brake lights wig wagging all over the place. That's nice 'cause you really want folks behind a motor cycle stopped at a stop light, TO BE NOTICED!
So far, it's been in there for over 5 years and, still working flawlessly.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #12

We have a couple light mods my brother did. Included was a side LED turn signal. It ended up requiring a diode being added as it flashed very rapidly and out of sink with the factory installed light. We are planning more light additions up the back sides for next summer.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Nice job on the engine drivetrain conversion. Even the single wire Delco alternator. Why did you change the rocker covers? I liked the chrome ones better. LOL
Lynn
Lynn,

You have sharp eyes. I don't think that anyone else has ever picked up the Delco 1-wire alternator on the Ford engine.

The grooved valve covers were plain until I used a buddy's mill and grooved them. Then I made a matching air cleaner cover out of 1/4 aluminum plate.

I changed them because I wanted the 4 carbs and velocity stacks to stand out. With them, the grooved covers were "unsightly". Too distracting.

It probably goes without saying, but there is no "kit" to do any of this. EVERYTHING has to be invented.

HERE is a picture of the interior. The instrument cluster is from a 1969 Opel GT, fabric covered MGB seats, shortened Mustang T-handle shifter.

I've done everything but the exhaust system and the seat upholstery.

Tim

Old 11-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A strip of red LEDs across the back, right where the color changes. Wrap about 8" around the side. Wire them so 18-24" on each end is the turn signal and the center is brake light.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights