Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 AM   #15

The Spicer Study from 2007 converts some anecdotal information into numbers which I prefer. It's an excellent report on the ability of so called fuel additives to accomplish product claims.

The study didn't look at ATF, but it did look at used engine oil and 2 cycle oil.

http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/cop...-version-3.pdf

As noted, the engine manufacturers don't recommend any additives. But Cummins has developed an entire product line within their company just for fuel improvement products.

Fuel System

There is no recommendation from me on using additives and as you've read there are differently schools of thought on using them. But if you need scientific, statistical data, then this study might be relevant to your decisions.

Based on the information in this study, I use bio-diesel where I can and pick something else when bio is not available.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
There is no reason to add ATF.

If there was any benefit, Cummins would recommend it.
That's my thought. For almost $20k....risking a blown engine based upon truckers, sheriffs and opinions isn't for me. If Cummins comes out with a bulletin saying this is a good practice I'm all over it.

It's my life story to follow advice like this and then when the engine blows the mechanic looks at me with the 'what were you thinking look.' Not this time.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #17

I thought that one of the distinct advantages of diesel was that the fuel itself was a lubricant.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jackson View Post
I thought that one of the distinct advantages of diesel was that the fuel itself was a lubricant.
This webpage might help answer your questions:Diesel Fuel Characteristics and use
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #19

Little more from Bosch... When looking at the pics below remember todays fuel is roughly 520 HFRR... Also remember this is from Bosch's testing labs...

All I can say about ATF is that todays ATF is not design to burn like old tyme fluid which was just red dye hydraulic fluid. Todays ATF has friction modifiers and other chemicals to prevent scorching... I don't suggest ATF in any vehicle...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #20

Just to toss in my 2 cent in regards to 2 cycle oil usage. I'm coming up on 100K miles of 2 cycle oil usage and not had a single issue. But to let you compare ATF to 2 Cycle Oil... Ashless 2 cycle oil is safe to use up to 128:1 ratio... But common rails like 200:1 ratio better.

The single injector against the yellow paper is my injector after 90K+ with 2 cycle oil usage in a 02 Dodge Cummins at a 128:1 ratio.

The other injectors are from another truck that has been running ATF. Take notice to the heavy amount of ash build up. This why I don't suggest using ATF or WEO/WMO in the diesel fuel. It not the same as it once was back in the 1970's...

Since here in Rural Idaho there is not a whole lot of choices for fuel and I've got to protect my investment...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3401.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	631.9 KB
ID:	7735   Click image for larger version

Name:	dirty inj.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	7736  

Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #21

Thanks to the many responses we got on the question of adding ATF to diesel. We will not be using it.
lekhuset is offline   Reply With Quote