Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #1

Aftermarket Trans Temp gauge ?

I searched the forums a bit, but didn't find any for an older Chevy. I'd like to install a trans temp gauge in our 1995 P32 chassis with the L480E trans.. Anybody do this that can send me a link to the kit? I'd like to buy it all in one as some have suggested,, fittings and all, instead of a piece here, piece there. Also preferably I would not have to cut the factory line, but I can if needed... Idea's ??
I was sent this one,,, but the reviews are not that great. I'm supprised as B&M has been around a long time.
B&M 80212 Transmission Temperature Gauge Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
The issue with that kit is it's universal so it may not even fit your rig. I would personal find you line out of the transmission the cooler line and get the line size and piece parts together. You go into a autoparts and tell them your line size they should be able to hook you up. Or you could get one of these pictured below then you can just buy a gauge and hook it up. These are usually a bit off on temperature.

adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adehaan86 View Post
The issue with that kit is it's universal so it may not even fit your rig. I would personal find you line out of the transmission the cooler line and get the line size and piece parts together. You go into a autoparts and tell them your line size they should be able to hook you up. Or you could get one of these pictured below then you can just buy a gauge and hook it up. These are usually a bit off on temperature.

Thanks for your help ! I'll add that to my list.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adehaan86 View Post

Those things are notoriously inaccurate. The best way is to mount it inline, but since you don't want to cut your line, you're better off just buying a quality gauge kit (I like the Autometer Phantom series myself) and placing it in a test port. I have found they are very close to an inline mount if you get the tight port. I have no clue where it would be on your tranny, but I would certainly think a 95 model has one. Any decent mechanic should be able to tell you.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #5

Thankyou tekrsq. I'll cut a line if I have to,, but a test port would be nice. I'll look in to that !
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #6

I guess I found a picture of the test port on the driver side above the shift lever. That would be great I think for the sending unit as after a quick search others have done that. Thanks everybody !
Monkey
Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #7

test port likely to be 1/8 pipe thread.
Bumperfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #8

from a retired trans rebuilder, I would be carefull using the test ports for a temp sensor. the ports can have up to 250 psi during hard acceleration. The best is to use epoxy (jb weld) and mount to the front edge of your trans pan. the cooler lines may show a lower temp than is internal to trans. If your pan has a drain plug, thats the best place to mount but most GM trans do not have the plug. 265 deg the fluid will burn and loose its lubricating ability so a good temp guage is valuable
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
from a retired trans rebuilder, I would be carefull using the test ports for a temp sensor. the ports can have up to 250 psi during hard acceleration. The best is to use epoxy (jb weld) and mount to the front edge of your trans pan. the cooler lines may show a lower temp than is internal to trans. If your pan has a drain plug, thats the best place to mount but most GM trans do not have the plug. 265 deg the fluid will burn and loose its lubricating ability so a good temp guage is valuable
I agree totally. The problem is most "standard" trannys don't have a bung in the pan, most tranny shops (in my area anyway) would not put one in due to liability, and the few people I know that actually tried it themselves either put it in a wrong location (causing it to contact tranny internals) or it leaked because they used stuff like JB Weld. That's why I suggested the test port. If the test port doesn't blow out the cap under acceleration, then it shouldn't damage the temp sensor if installed properly. I've installed MANY in test ports, never had a problem, and the ports close to the shift linkages seem to be pretty close in temp as compared to sensors mounted in the line to the cooler. Just my non-professional opinion, lol.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Westach makes a unit. They are airplane gauges etc. and are pretty accurate. They have three types of sensors for transmissions, one is to cut into line which is most accurate temp reading, second is one that is inserted down into the dipstick filler tube and last is a epoxied on to the trans pan. I used the last because I didn't want to cut the line or slide wires with a sensor down the tube (afraid it'd break loose in the trans) I put the sensor on rear of pan so air flow wouldn't cool it too much. By adding about 25 degrees mentally to temp shown it gives an reasonably correct number and has worked for seven years and 40K miles
Old 10-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #11

Thanks again everybody !!! I guess from reading all here, and previous experience with hot rods, I'm leaning towards cutting the output line to the cooler... NOT the return line... I want to know what temps are coming out of the trans,,, Basically to notice a difference. I'll get a base line, then watch for differences while driving...
Monkey