Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #1

Ailing Onan

I have an Onan emerald 1 genset 4.0, and it runs on propane. My generator has its own propane tank, and I ran it out. Now, I'm trying to hook up a 5 gallon or 20 lb cylinder and I can't get it to work. It is getting spark, and it is getting propane. Not sure if it's getting enough propane, but it's getting propane. Is there some reason why it won't start? Or is there something else wrong. It starts for about 5 seconds beeps and then it shuts off. I've had it for 3 weeks and it's sat for 8 years prior to me buying it. I had to clean the points and the plugs and all that stuff to get it started, as to be expected. Now I'm stuck here. Looking for some advice.
Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #2

Pressure regulator?
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

Your gen might run on liquid and it'll never run on gas provided by an aux tank.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Newer LP tanks have a safety valve in them that closes if there is a rapid release of LP. It is there as a safety in case someone opens the tank valve with no hose attached. It is possible that the Gen is drawing enough on start-up to close that tank valve.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Your gen might run on liquid and it'll never run on gas provided by an aux tank.
Thank you, that's what I wanted to here. Now I can stop worrying about there really being something wrong with my gen.
Never had a lpg gen before. When I couldn't hook up an aux tank like I do to my other appliances I got worried. Now? No worries. Thanx again.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank you, that's what I wanted to here. Now I can stop worrying about there really being something wrong with my gen.
Never had a lpg gen before. When I couldn't hook up an aux tank like I do to my other appliances I got worried. Now? No worries. Thanx again.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #7

My single big built-in tank has two valves, one labeled liquid for the gen and one labeled vapor for everything else. The gen pulls from towards the bottom of the tank. If you have one tank solely for the gen it might be liquid only.

To further confuse things, some Onan gens can be configured for either liquid or gas.

Over time the regulator can get plugged up. When my gen died a couple of years ago, the regulator and part of the fuel line were found to be full of oil. The oil is normal in propane, and it took many years to get plugged up.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Ailing Onan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Newer LP tanks have a safety valve in them that closes if there is a rapid release of LP. It is there as a safety in case someone opens the tank valve with no hose attached. It is possible that the Gen is drawing enough on start-up to close that tank valve.

Would opening the tank valve slowly, do the trick? I'm going to try this later today. I also have heard these safety valves are also built into the hook-ups themselves, the female ones I hear, and that's what I was trying to use. I gave up on it till I heard of this. Now, I also have the male hook up, and I can't wait to to see if I can get this to work. There has to be a way to do this. If not it would be better for me to have a gasoline powered onan, where I can just undo the fuel line and stick it in a gas can like I have with my other motorhomes. I'm poor, a very rarely have more than a quarter tank of gas in my motorhome where I could just run the generator whenever I want to. So, it's nice just to be able to hook up an auxiliary between paydays. This propane generator has not been convenient for me at all. And I'm about to use it for target practice.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
I gave up on my auxiliary tank efforts after what you told me. Then I recently learned that some of the connectors that connect to the tank have safety valves in them. I was using the connector that screws on the outside, clockwise. I'm not a 100% sure but I believe it's called, ACME. It does have the safety valve built into it. I switched over to the reverse thread that screws inside the tank valve. That was the only problem. My generator is working great on a auxiliary tank now.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #10

That's great, and means you gen runs on gas. It would sure be convenient if mine did.

That said, small tanks of propane is the most expensive way to buy propane. Sometimes you can score "residential use" propane from a truck or dealer.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #11

[QUOTE=johnhicks;5059847]That's great, and means you gen runs on gas. It would sure be convenient if mine did.

That said, small tanks of propane is the most expensive way to buy propane. Sometimes you can score "residential use" propane from a truck or dealer.

I do. I just like to be able to get what I need in every situation. Every situation that I can anyway. If I can't move the rv, or it's the day before payday and I only have enough for 5 gallons or less, it's nice to have the option to drive the truck or the car down to get propane, and get my gen running again.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #12

OK, I searched Onan & this came up, I have a unit that requires oil filter 122-0836. Problem: the bottom is flush with the mounting tray, & I can't get ahold of it with anything. Getting old ramming a screwdriver thru it to get it off & resultant mess. Anybody know of a L O N G E R one that fits?
Old 12-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBERNUT View Post
OK, I searched Onan & this came up, I have a unit that requires oil filter 122-0836. Problem: the bottom is flush with the mounting tray, & I can't get ahold of it with anything. Getting old ramming a screwdriver thru it to get it off & resultant mess. Anybody know of a L O N G E R one that fits?

You need and oil filter socket
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #14
Community Administrator

This is what I used.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1123524121?ii...BoC35IQAvD_BwE

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan