Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #43

Sorry but as a commercial transport mechanic I have seen a lot of systems with air dryers that had tanks full of water heaters fail etc.
Old Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2022, 08:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
The rear brakes will lock if your air pressure goes to low, somewhere below 40 lbs or so. Its called the spring brake. Other than that, you must have stepped on the brake.
On ours, at least, the spring brake will NOT lock the rear wheels on a dry road, and probably not on a wet road, either, though I have not tried the latter. I would expect this of any coach. This is a good thing! Having the coach spin from locked rear wheels at speed would be, um, bad.

The spring brake will apply moderate braking action, sufficient to bring you to a stop if you don't overpower it with the accelerator, but no more. I'd hate to have it engage on snow or ice (spinning a big vehicle with a long wheelbase cannot be fun), but I have no plans to ever drive this thing on snow or ice, either.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:48 AM   #45

It takes about 40 PSI can hold the spring brakes OFF. When you release that air the springs can only apply the equilivent to a 40 PSI brake application.

That's less then 1/3rd of a full brake application, plus it's only applying the drive axle brakes, so less braking then the foot brake.

No locking up the rear wheels and skidding to a stop.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:40 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I'll get flamed for this reply, but there is no way your states should allow drivers to drive air brake equipped vehicles without at least minimal training on how the systems work!!
You are absolutely right, I don’t know where this guy lives but there is no way he should be sitting behind the wheel when he has no clue how air brakes work, probably doesn’t know what a spring brake is or what it is for. I don’t understand how people can get licensed to operate air equipped vehicles.
That doesn’t happen in British Columbia, you need to take an air brake course to get certified and u need a commercial license to operate the vehicle,
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:18 AM   #47

When I got my CDL in Indiana there was a separate study booklet (and test) on air brakes. The booklets were free at the DMV. Anybody who has air brakes would probably benefit by that information.
newellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #48

Let’s not beat up or berate the OP, just guide them to getting educated and understanding the safety importance.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemByTheMile View Post
Let’s not beat up or berate the OP, just guide them to getting educated and understanding the safety importance.
This ^^^^^.

Many of the observations are entirely correct taken by themselves, but that doesn't make it the OP's fault that he did not happen to know that learning about air brakes was a really good idea. In many states, nothing prompts you to learn about them, including my own. Give the OP some credit for even asking!
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 04:34 AM   #50

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
This ^^^^^.

Many of the observations are entirely correct taken by themselves, but that doesn't make it the OP's fault that he did not happen to know that learning about air brakes was a really good idea. In many states, nothing prompts you to learn about them, including my own. Give the OP some credit for even asking!

I totally agree. Lots of anxious folks here.

Just a plain old drivers license is good enough in Michigan.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
This ^^^^^.

Absolutely agree with this statement!
jeddpearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Air brake issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITERG View Post
Hello. I have a Tiffin Phaeton (40 QTH 2010)with Power Glide suspension and wondering if anyone would know what would make your brakes lock up on their own. I let chassis air up as normal and after going down the road a bit (mile or so) breaks locked up for a bit then released. All well after that. This happened twice on our trip home. I’m not too familiar with air brakes so thought I would ask. After reading up a bit I think it may be as simple as greasing fittings or bleeding system. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
As others have asked, a bit more explanation of what and when will assure we are all talking about the same issue. Off the cuff,
#1:I would suspect a sticking treadle valve. (you touched the peddle and the brakes applied but didn't release.) Clean the gunk from under the treadle valve and make sure all is free including pivot point, roller and plunger.
#2: Slack adjuster clevis pins can be seized interfering with brake release.
#3: Brake application valves (relay valves) can stick but it's rare.
#4 Loss of air pressure allowed parking brakes to apply but you would have noticed the air loss and heard the buzzer, so I'm doubting that one.
More description would help. Get if fixed before you overheat your brakes, get rear ended, or flat spot tires. Always do the slight grade roll test to make sure your free of brake drag.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbear View Post
This is incorrect. Only the park brake (part of drive axle brake) is ON when air is removed. You can hear the air release when you pull the park brake knob. Service brakes on steer axle, drive axle & tag axle if you have one are activated by applying air as you push the brake pedal.
If you lose air pressure while driving, you will lose service brake effectiveness until at 45 psi, you park brakes on drive axle will fully engage.
And I too think the rear brake canisters may be the root of the problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:19 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
The rear brakes will lock if your air pressure goes to low, somewhere below 40 lbs or so. Its called the spring brake….
This is bad information and not correct.

I have purposely applied my parking brake while moving, so I would know what to expect if I ever lost the air system. The drive axle brakes applied with a firm but normal application. The coach came to a stop in about the same distance as a normal stop.

The drive wheels will NOT lock up. The springs are not that strong.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:20 AM   #55

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I’d like to know what the problem was with his brakes. What did the mechanic find? What was the fix? Following the thread for the answer.

I do support madating a CDL license in all states for drivers of coaches with air brake systems, and possibly a specalized license in (every state) for drivers of any vehicles that are in excess 10,000 lbs. That meaning a single vehicle, or combo of vehicle + trailer. A safety rated driver.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:12 PM   #56

Maybe we should mandate a diesel engine repair course too. Maybe a steering/ suspension inspection course.

Mandatory tire pressure and lug nut torque checks and then log books for us all.

I see and read about a lot of DPs breaking down on the roads.

The air brake system is the safest part of the rig, no air no go.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, brake