Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2023, 11:01 AM   #1

Air bubbles under TPO rubber roof renewal by camping world - ok or faulty repair job?

As I inspected the new roof I found big Air bubbles under the new TPO rubber roof.
Push with your finger and they go up and down.

The roof was a renewal job for app. 5.000 $ by camping world.

We are afraid the water can now get into and / or condense in the roof and the wood will start to rott.

I find the bubbles all along the front and rear edge of the roof and all around all cutouts (like air-conditioning, roof windows e.g).

Camping world glued (!!) A second layer of new wooden sheets on top of the old wooden sheets, because they where partly damaged and / or had some fibers from the old roof rubber layer still attached. Camping world said, that the new TPO Layer will not glue to such a bad background.

I can imagine that the bubbles under the new TPO Layer result from fumes from the wood glue between the two wooden sheet layers. Maybe the evaporation fumes of the woods glue desolved / destroyed the glue for the TPO foil???

That's why we find bubbles / non-sticking spots at all edges where the wooden layer planks where cut respectively joined (gaps where fumes can evaporate and reach the TPO glue).

-- Is the condition of the rubber roof layer with the non-sticking foil ok or faulty repair job?

-- Camping world is not responding - what to do?

-- is there a neutral statement / opinion / estimate to get on the works quality?

-- can consumer affairs help?

I would very much appreciate your qualified comments.Attachment 393141Attachment 393142Attachment 393143Attachment 393144Attachment 393145Click image for larger version

Name:	after_roof_repair_IMG_20230501_162013.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	393146Click image for larger version

Name:	after_roof_repair_IMG_20230504_100037.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	393149
okin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2023, 09:18 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT the glue that attaches the rubber roof is ACRYLIC and some bubbling under HEAT/ SUN is COMMON on a NEW roof, where small bubbles will appear during day and disappear as it cools at night, and completely disappear after days/ weeks(??). There is also a moisture level (5%-15%) in the plywood, and this too contributes, but will drop with age/time. Good Luck.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:31 PM   #3

Thank you very much. I will watch to roof closely at even at night.
Does anyone else has more ideas?
Peter
Old 05-23-2023, 04:11 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT the glue that attaches the rubber roof is ACRYLIC and some bubbling under HEAT/ SUN is COMMON on a NEW roof, where small bubbles will appear during day and disappear as it cools at night, and completely disappear after days/ weeks(??). There is also a moisture level (5%-15%) in the plywood, and this too contributes, but will drop with age/time. Good Luck.
I agree, bubbles sometimes show up on new roofs, being patient pays off most of the time, even if they used a high-quality coating. Let some days go by and let us know how it turns out. Best of luck!
Ivan Pacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:22 PM   #5

The water based glue that is used will not adhere to wood that already has glue on it from the previous roof. That is the reason for adding another layer of thin wood to the roof. The wood provides a place for the water from the glue to migrate to so it will cure. If you glue to an old roof with pre-existing glue on the wood, the water has no place to go.

I cannot address the bubbles. The one roof I did came out perfect with no bubbles.

Charles
Old 05-28-2023, 08:42 PM   #6

Dicor addresses bubbles under the membrane. https://dicorproducts.com/faq/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Pacheco View Post
I agree, bubbles sometimes show up on new roofs, being patient pays off most of the time, even if they used a high-quality coating. Let some days go by and let us know how it turns out. Best of luck!
Thank you.
The installation is now 4 weekd ago. I just came down from the roof.
The bubbles did not become noticebly smaller. They are not smaller at night on the cold.
Camping world has not answered.
Peter
Old 05-29-2023, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
The water based glue that is used will not adhere to wood that already has glue on it from the previous roof. That is the reason for adding another layer of thin wood to the roof. The wood provides a place for the water from the glue to migrate to so it will cure. If you glue to an old roof with pre-existing glue on the wood, the water has no place to go.

I cannot address the bubbles. The one roof I did came out perfect with no bubbles.

Charles
Thank you.
Yes they put a second layer of wood in to have a fresh surface for the TPO rubber to glue on.
The air bubbles still alarm me. There is no sticking between wood and TPO rubber if there is air. Right? Hence, water can get in / condensate and penetrate the wood - resulting in molding and decoration.
How to get an experts opinion????
Peter
Old 05-29-2023, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Dicor addresses bubbles under the membrane. https://dicorproducts.com/faq/
Great tip. I read the faq reg air bubbles. Is it in connection with a TPO rubber roof?
How many bubbles/ what percentage on a roof area is HEALTHY?
In my case they did not shrink within 4 weeks or at night in the cold.
Any ideas how to proceed?
Peter
Old 05-30-2023, 05:23 PM   #10

Have you thought about contacting Dicor or whoever made your roof covering/membrane and arranging to send them pictures for evaluation?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My view is that the bubbles indicate sloppy workmanship but not necessarily a defect. The membrane (EPDM or TPO) is still waterproof and unless there are more bubbles than glued the roof membrane isn't going anywhere. Dicor still warranties the material.

If you think the amount of bubbles is beyond reasonable, send photos to Dicor (or is it TPO from Alpha Systems instead?) and ask their opinion.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Have you thought about contacting Dicor or whoever made your roof covering/membrane and arranging to send them pictures for evaluation?
Hi Ray,
Since the rubber foil was put on by Camping World I have no knowledge of the components manufacturer.
But I wrote to both dicor and alpha and sent them the pictures. I hope they will be so nice and give their opinions.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
My view is that the bubbles indicate sloppy workmanship but not necessarily a defect. The membrane (EPDM or TPO) is still waterproof and unless there are more bubbles than glued the roof membrane isn't going anywhere. Dicor still warranties the material.

If you think the amount of bubbles is beyond reasonable, send photos to Dicor (or is it TPO from Alpha Systems instead?) and ask their opinion.
Yes and thank you very much for the ideas.
I have written to both yesterday and sent them pictures. I very much hope that they will be so kind and give me their opinions of the repair Job done.
Peter
Old 06-01-2023, 05:32 PM   #14

From my experience, the Alpha TPO roof has a bit of an orange peel texture and Dicor EPDM is smooth.

Hope that helps.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, camping, camping world, epa, repair, roof