RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #1

Air chuck won't seal when inflating tires

This is pretty much the same problem as https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/airi...es-505327.html but not wanting to hijack that thread I'll start a new one here.

I have this Viair compressor https://www.amazon.com/40047-400P-RV.../dp/B004B68XGC In general it works well except on the outer dually tires where the valve stems point inwards. The chunk is a dual head kind of thing so I pull it onto the valve for those tires rather than push.

It works for all my tires except both outer duallys. I can't get a good seal. I think I can get it at the right angle although only just before the handle hits the rim but no matter how hard I pull on it or move it around slightly the air keeps escaping.

The compressor also comes with a small hose. I managed to use that to inflate the outer tires. It has a right angle connector at the valve end and I was able to pass it in between the two tires and screw it on. That sealed perfectly. The only problem is that it is a little too short. I was able to get the inflation gun on but only just. It would be impossible depending on the position the wheel was stopped in. I guess the hose is not really intended to be used between the tires like that.

Any suggestions? It feels like I could make a case that the chuck is faulty since it happens on both outer duallys and the hose works perfectly on the same valves. But ... I don't really want to argue about that. The rest of the Viair compressor is really good. I'm tempted to try a different chunk. Maybe something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTJSZ1G or just a longer hose but I couldn't find one on Amazon that had the push on connector at the other end.

By the way, I don't use any stem extenders. After messing around for quite a while trying to decide the best solution for my TireMinder TPMS sensors, I finally realized that I could get them on all tires with some fiddly effort without extenders. It's a pain to get them on and off to inflate but probably less hassle than extenders, especially for these inward pointing valves on the outer wheels.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #2

Last time I had mine serviced, I had them rotate those two stems so they pointed out and they didnít even charge me.

To do yourself, run the inside tire up on a 2x10 so the outside tire doesnít touch the ground. Loosen or remove the nut, what ever it takes to gently rotate the stem out of the wheel hole so you donít damage the seal, tighten back up where you want it and inflate.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Last time I had mine serviced, I had them rotate those two stems so they pointed out and they didn’t even charge me.

To do yourself, run the inside tire up on a 2x10 so the outside tire doesn’t touch the ground. Loosen or remove the nut, what ever it takes to gently rotate the stem out of the wheel hole so you don’t damage the seal, tighten back up where you want it and inflate.
Are you suggesting to remove the outside wheel when the inside wheel is on a wood block? Note, the same axle nuts that hold the outside wheel on are also securing the inside wheel...so the RV corner will not be secure. Better is to put the RV on a flat, level, concrete pad and raise the RV on the levelers (both back jacks) and put a jack stand under the chassis for safety. Then remove the wheel lug nuts.
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:40 AM   #4

You need to re-read my post for what it says, leave out what your imagination runs wild with, i never said anything about taking the wheel off. Why would you take a wheel off just to rotate the valve stem?
The point is to have outside tire not touching the ground so there isnít any pressure on the tire that might break the tire/wheel bead seal when you let the air out to loosen and rotate the valve stem.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not all wheels use just the outside nuts to hold the inner wheel. Many use a stud with integral nut to hold the inner wheel. This way you can run the inner wheel on a block to change the outer one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Are you suggesting to remove the outside wheel when the inside wheel is on a wood block? Note, the same axle nuts that hold the outside wheel on are also securing the inside wheel...so the RV corner will not be secure. Better is to put the RV on a flat, level, concrete pad and raise the RV on the levelers (both back jacks) and put a jack stand under the chassis for safety. Then remove the wheel lug nuts.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
This is pretty much the same problem as https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/airi...es-505327.html but not wanting to hijack that thread I'll start a new one here.

I have this Viair compressor https://www.amazon.com/40047-400P-RV.../dp/B004B68XGC In general it works well except on the outer dually tires where the valve stems point inwards. The chunk is a dual head kind of thing so I pull it onto the valve for those tires rather than push.

It works for all my tires except both outer duallys. I can't get a good seal. I think I can get it at the right angle although only just before the handle hits the rim but no matter how hard I pull on it or move it around slightly the air keeps escaping.

The compressor also comes with a small hose. I managed to use that to inflate the outer tires. It has a right angle connector at the valve end and I was able to pass it in between the two tires and screw it on. That sealed perfectly. The only problem is that it is a little too short. I was able to get the inflation gun on but only just. It would be impossible depending on the position the wheel was stopped in. I guess the hose is not really intended to be used between the tires like that.

Any suggestions? It feels like I could make a case that the chuck is faulty since it happens on both outer duallys and the hose works perfectly on the same valves. But ... I don't really want to argue about that. The rest of the Viair compressor is really good. I'm tempted to try a different chunk. Maybe something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTJSZ1G or just a longer hose but I couldn't find one on Amazon that had the push on connector at the other end.

By the way, I don't use any stem extenders. After messing around for quite a while trying to decide the best solution for my TireMinder TPMS sensors, I finally realized that I could get them on all tires with some fiddly effort without extenders. It's a pain to get them on and off to inflate but probably less hassle than extenders, especially for these inward pointing valves on the outer wheels.
(Maiden Voyage, new to me rig, 2k on tires) I had that inflation difficulty issue on roadside, and took an HOUR to get front tie inflated; thought it was a chuck problem. Stopped to visit shortly after and forgot to walk-around, but realized flat tire as soon as I cleared driveway... tire torn up, used spare... later at shop, tire tech showed me the NUT WAS LOOSE ON THE VALVE STEM, which explained all...
Old 09-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pretty much solved this issue by replacing the standard 2-way chuck head with this one - it locks on to the valve stem so you don't have to continuously apply pressure to keep it sealed. The downside is that, being a right-angle head you need to attach it by going in between the tires on the rear.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. I can live with the valve stems pointing inwards so I don't want to change any configuration. Also, I don't have any leaks in normal use. I've had my TPMS on for a week and all looks good.

My only problem is trying to put air into them, the chuck doesn't seal. I think this chuck is just not very precisely made or something. I say that because my little AstroAI digital gauge has the same sort of dual head and that seals perfectly when I pull it on the same inward pointing valves as does the little extension hose that came with the compressor. I think I just need to try a different chuck.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #9

I found a short dual head chuck at Harbor Freight that solved the problem of hitting the rim.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
You need to re-read my post for what it says, leave out what your imagination runs wild with, i never said anything about taking the wheel off. Why would you take a wheel off just to rotate the valve stem?
The point is to have outside tire not touching the ground so there isnít any pressure on the tire that might break the tire/wheel bead seal when you let the air out to loosen and rotate the valve stem.

A picture would help? Or what type of place may do this service as it sounds simple if you follow what to do?

I think it very ironic they go through the trouble to put extenders on the inner dually tires and they become easy to fill the air, but the outer dually tires have stem facing inside

I can't visualize how that stem facing inside can be turned to be facing outside of the hole? I have 2 X 12 that I can roll the inside tire on, but you say to remove nut and put it back where you want and that is confusing to me. May be why OP passed?... and why I may be better off to find someone that can do your idea for me. Thanks
Old 09-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoakken View Post
I found a short dual head chuck at Harbor Freight that solved the problem of hitting the rim.
I have a similar problem as OP. I had purchased this dual head chuck air inflator from Harbor Freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-h...uge-63570.html

It fits and can work, but why is the stem for the outside dually tire pointing inside? If it is possible, I wish to make both outside tires have stems that point outside (facing me) so I can push the the chuck on it versus having to try to pull it back toward me.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
but why is the stem for the outside dually tire pointing inside? If it is possible, I wish to make both outside tires have stems that point outside (facing me) so I can push the the chuck on it versus having to try to pull it back toward me.
Here's mine. You can see the valve for the outer dually with the TPMS sensor. I don't see how the design of the wheel would allow it to point out. I should have stood a little further back with the camera but there's nowhere for the valve to come out if it pointed out.

It surprised me a little when I first got into this but apparently it's quite normal for outer dually stems to point in. Nearly all the discussions I found about extensions were talking about extending the inner tire but my outers are more of a pain than the inners. I can just get my hand in there and reverse my brain so I turn the sensors in the right direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	300250  
Old 09-08-2020, 05:42 AM   #13

Quote:
The point is to have outside tire not touching the ground so there isn’t any pressure on the tire that might break the tire/wheel bead seal when you let the air out to loosen and rotate the valve stem.
You should have said that the first time. I had no idea why you wanted the inside tire on a 2 x 10 either.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy01 View Post
Not all wheels use just the outside nuts to hold the inner wheel. Many use a stud with integral nut to hold the inner wheel. This way you can run the inner wheel on a block to change the outer one.
Never seen that...got an example?
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, air, seal