Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

Air indicator on Newmar

I have a 2011 3734 Newmar Dutch Star with a 400 ISL Cummins
The air indicator was in the red so I replaced the air filter with a new one and it is still staying in the red even after you reset the indicator.
Any ideas
Xander43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander43 View Post
I have a 2011 3734 Newmar Dutch Star with a 400 ISL Cummins
The air indicator was in the red so I replaced the air filter with a new one and it is still staying in the red even after you reset the indicator.
Any ideas
I take it you are talking about the engine air filter indicator. I would replace the indicator. You might check that the new engine air filter is installed correctly.
Bill

In re reading this the question came up. does the indicator go to the bottom of the green when you reset it?
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just disregard the air indicator, they're useless. Change the air cleaner out on a time or mileage basis. Three years max, unless you drive more than 20K - 25K in the three years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #4

Yes I'm talking about the air filter
When I push the button on the bottom of the indicator it does go to green then when I drive it goes back to red

If I understand you correctly the indicators go bad
Old 01-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would definitely check the filter installation to make sure there is no obstructions.
The indicator can go bad, I suspected mine was bad but in my case it didn't go to red. The bottom was all cracked up and let enough air in to never show the filter was bad. I fixed by using epoxy on the bottom to seal the cracks.

I'd test the indicator. Take it off and test it, by pulling a vacuum on it to see how much pull it takes to release.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Just disregard the air indicator, they're useless. Change the air cleaner out on a time or mileage basis. Three years max, unless you drive more than 20K - 25K in the three years.
Just last month I took our MH to the large HDT repair shop I use. I requested the air filter be changed-it's 3 yrs old, and a lot of other work performed. When I picked it up the shop owner told be they checked the filter indicator and it showed filter was good. They removed the air filter, inspected it, and replaced it.
The report was, "it is slightly discolored on the intake side, glue holding filter media is also good. Pay no attention to replacing the filter based on time, it's a waste of money." He also said if the filter becomes wet, then the filter must be replaced.
I asked about the glue failing and filter media being sucked into the turbo.
He asked, "who told you that, I've never heard it mentioned before, but I've only been a diesel mechanic for 43 years".
Some air filter indicators may be rebuilt, others are throw-away.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
There was a recent post of an air filter failing where by the glue broke down letting the filter media separate. No engine failure but long term this could allow both dirt and or filter media into the engine. The filter that failed did not have wire mesh encasing the filter media on both sides.

I am getting ready to service my rig, my air filter is +5 years old (I have not used in the last 2 years while building a new house). I started checking on filters and some have the wire mesh, some don't. The one I ordered I made sure that it had the wire mesh.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #8

My filter is a year old Wix and it still looked good.
Thank you all for the information you provided it's very help.
I'm glad there are people like you helping others out there.
THANK YOU
Old 01-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The filter minder is measuring intake vacuum - the greater the suction at the air intake, the higher the indicator goes. By all means replace the filter minder, but odds are there is a restriction in the air intake somewhere. It doesn't take much to send the filter minder into the red. Leaves on the screen over the external air inlet is one possible cause. A collapsed air hose is another.

One of the dirty little secrets is that the air intake system for most motorhomes is barely adequate, meaning it just meets the minimum air flow that Cummin or Cat specs for the engine. Even a bit of road dirt in the filter or obstruction in the plumbing take it below the minimum and the engine struggles to get enough air. The coach still runs ok, but acceleration and hill-climbing performance suffers. This the filter minder often hits the 50% or worse level not long after a new filter is installed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #10

Thanks for that information
Old 01-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #11

What was said about minimum size Is pretty much true. Some here have been able to upgrade to larger/higher CFM filter ,fairly easily and inexpensive as far as performance upgrades go.Is this a new issue , or new to you coach. I don't remember exact specifics but I have read here the some of the indicators were not located properly . I think they were too close to turbo or something.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:28 AM   #12

I bought the coach and changed the filter because the indicator kept going to red and with the new filter it does the same thing
Old 01-22-2020, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander43 View Post
I bought the coach and changed the filter because the indicator kept going to red and with the new filter it does the same thing
Replace filter minder, they are inexpensive: https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-2...SIN=B0014BI1KA
I would also replace the vacuum hose between filter minder and intake, just a CYA inexpensive thing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Just last month I took our MH to the large HDT repair shop I use. I requested the air filter be changed-it's 3 yrs old, and a lot of other work performed. When I picked it up the shop owner told be they checked the filter indicator and it showed filter was good. They removed the air filter, inspected it, and replaced it.
The report was, "it is slightly discolored on the intake side, glue holding filter media is also good. Pay no attention to replacing the filter based on time, it's a waste of money." He also said if the filter becomes wet, then the filter must be replaced.
I asked about the glue failing and filter media being sucked into the turbo.
He asked, "who told you that, I've never heard it mentioned before, but I've only been a diesel mechanic for 43 years".
Some air filter indicators may be rebuilt, others are throw-away.
Did they flow check the air filter?? How does some mechanic looking at the air filter know what flow is left. The sealed air filters (most popular now) can't be inspected. A good mechanic also knows not to pull out and inspect filters on a DP. If you're going to remove it, replace it.

After reading some of the posts on here, it's funny...….Some say (sarcasm) I ran my filter for 12 years, the motor home ran great for the first three, slowed down and got terrible fuel mileage for the next nine, but I saved $400 in filters over 12 years. Oh yeah, my dusted motor only uses 3 quarts per 1000 miles!

The argument over air filters is silly. There are SO many that spend $200K, $300K or $400K on a motor home and cheap out for an air filter every 2-3 years ($120.00). Just doesn't makes SENSE! Wow....you saved $60 a year, at what FUTURE expense.

Lastly, reset you filter minder and then go pull a hard grade. Guess what, it climbs way up and needs to be reset again. How accurate is that?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, cat, newmar