Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2022, 05:22 PM   #1

Alpine 2005 Flashing instrument lights /Moving gauges

Can someone please helps ?Went to start RV turned on key and gauges donít stop moving and instruments flash. I checked batteries and they are fully charged at 12.7 v. Vansco multiplex module has intermittent flashing net light when key is off. Solid light when key is on . RV will start and run but gauges keep swinging and instrument lights keep flashing. Have checked grounds. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions? Thanks much.
jrawins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2022, 07:32 PM   #2

If you are not able to respond to this forum please email me at jamieavels@gmail.com. or call 760-408-8900 in Ca. about the issue. Thank you. 👍
jrawins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I haven't ever seen or heard of exactly the symptoms you describe but since we have identical coaches I thought I would give you some free advice. I would suspect that there is a communication error or failure in the Actia gauge computer. If you are going to try to diagnose it yourself I could get you some service documentation for the Actia gauges. I would suggest you first unplug, clean and reseat the connectors on the back of the information center and the dash gauges.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #4

I experienced very something very similar in my ole Dutch Star (Spartan with 350 Cummins). I removed the alternator and had it bench tested. The price to rebuild it was more than I wanted to pay. So I took it apart and did the standard continuity tests. I found a broken brush. I installed a new brush, and everything went back to normal.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:46 AM   #5

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you for your prompt replies. Nice you have the same coach. I don't know about the Actia gauge computer or where it is located. I did pull the instruments panal off and disconnected and reconnected the instrument plugs. Same thing still. I have unplugged and reconnected every plug I can see and get to in the battery compartment and in front of the passenger seat in the dash. Any service documentation you my have would be great. Thanks for the help and suggestions from both of you!!!
Old 09-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The speedometer is the master gauge and it supplies the power and communicates with all the other slave gauges. The tachometer, the 4 in 1 gauge (oil press, trans temp, oil temp, fuel) and the information center (two warning light panels on the right hand side) are all controlled by the master. The LCD screen at the bottom of the speedometer displays error messages. Do you see anything there?
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #7

Yes it's hard to read it but it looks like it says lin comm Err. I have unplugged and replugged the connections on the back of the gages.

The master gauge has worked in the past showing me low air pressure or Gen. Slide out.

Do you know what "lin comm Err" means?
Thanks for the help!!!
Old 09-25-2022, 07:24 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawins View Post
Yes it's hard to read it but it looks like it says lin comm Err. I have unplugged and replugged the connections on the back of the gages.

The master gauge has worked in the past showing me low air pressure or Gen. Slide out.

Do you know what "lin comm Err" means?
Thanks for the help!!!

LIN (Local Interconnect Network) communication error.

What chassis & instrument cluster do you have? Any pictures of the cluster?
I suspect that the cluster is bad. There are places that check & fix older clusters.
It's also possible that you have a connection issue somewhere else on the line, critters or worn thru.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:05 AM   #9

Hey lowflyer1

It is a 2005 Alpine 400 Cummings engine made by Western recreational vehicles. The gauges are made by Actia. I will call Actia in the morning to see if I can learn anything from them. C_oneil Has been very helpful with information as he has the same coach and information on it. I would attach some pictures but I can't seem to do it. If you want to call or text me I am happy to send some pictures by text. Thanks for everyone's help. Jamie
Old 09-26-2022, 05:22 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
OK. Yes, Actia would probably be your best bet then.

I'm not familiar with that cluster as my expertise was in Ford and GM "hard wired" and CAN based clusters.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:03 PM   #11

update

Update FYI,

Problems happening are gauges swinging back and forth and dash lights flashing. Line code on speedo gauge saying "Lin comm err".
Not showing jacks down message, Lo air suspen message or Gen slide out message. The rest of the speedo is working.

I am sending the gauges out to Allen at Ultra RV Products in Wa. 800-417-4559 to have checked.

It will take a couple weeks for an answer and I will update when I know it the gauges are the problem.

Thanks for the comments and help!
Jamie
Old 11-06-2022, 04:54 PM   #12

Update. Problem fixed.

I sent my Speedo to Allen at Ultra RV Products in Centrailia Wa. He thought it may have a problem but was unable to get a part he would need to fix it.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:38 PM   #13

Update, problem fixed.

Ordered new Speedo from Actia. Received and install today. New speedo fixed the problem. Special thanks goes out to "C oneil". Without his help would not have found or fixed the problem. Thank you Carter!!!

Thanks to IRV2. and those who make comments and help. I have now used this site twice to fix a problem on my RV.

Jamie
Old 11-08-2022, 04:29 AM   #14

Thanks to Carter, and all others.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauges, light, lights