Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #57

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
engineered wood with 7 coats of aluminum oxide finish, just needs a Swiffer or broom for upkeep.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 03:58 AM   #58

American Coach Owners Club
Well just to show that there are different strokes for different folks in our 18 year old coach we happen to like our shiny tile and soft carpet, both which are still in good condition and neither are hard to keep clean but we don't travel with kids or a menagerie either.

Oh and heaven forbid but we like our shiny brass fixtures also.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #59

FWIW booths are a literal pain for anyone with mobility problems. From an oldster perspective too many coaches are set up for youngsters with kids. We are happy with two people and a small dot. If we have a third they get the couch.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #60

Question for the flooring experts here: Name all the types that can be heated?

Assume using an electric heat grid.

We really like our shiny white tile floor, but I wouldn't mind some of the newer vinyl tile. Massive weight savings. I want heated floors next time and absolutely no carpet anywhere, including slides.

I love how a coach with all the slide floors being tile look, I'm also very aware of the weight penalty. To me wood or vinyl would be the game changer, but it must fit the "look" or it won't sell.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #61

FWIW it might not sell to you but it will sell to somebody. The problem I see is somebody bends a salesman'd ear for several days at a show that they have to have x then x becomes the new norm whether or not most people care. In Newmar's case I have concluded that I have to start looking again as I like the layout but the amount of high end heavy features I do not care about render the product useless.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 AM   #62

unless the engine access can be made better, adding tile on there would really increase the weight for removal of the access panel. Techs aren't that careful- and that extra weight for them to handle may prove difficult.
I suspect tile could be added on the slide, but the slides I have worked with, none of them are flat enough to accommodate tile. Then, you have to finish the edge of the tile with some stair nose material- and perish the thought it would be tacky gold metal.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #63

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
Well just to show that there are different strokes for different folks in our 18 year old coach we happen to like our shiny tile and soft carpet, both which are still in good condition and neither are hard to keep clean but we don't travel with kids or a menagerie either.

Oh and heaven forbid but we like our shiny brass fixtures also.
x2. Original stuff still in great condition at 21 years. Not real hard to keep it that way either.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:04 AM   #64

Luckily my wife and I are both carpet people, nothing like something soft and warm under your feet not to mention if you have a bad back like I do and like to lay on the floor to help relieve the pain.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #65
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I like carpet in my house. Wood looks nice but can be loud, the same with an all tile floor. BUT, when it comes to the motor home, carpeting is the worse. As "JMONROE" noted, there is a very narrow path in RV's and carpet wears twice as fast. The pure nature of camping makes for more dirt in the RV than a house.

We kept our last coach immaculate, which meant vacuuming every other day (no pets) and shampooing the carpet 3-4 times a year. Just a pain and it was amazing how dirty the carpet was every time I cleaned.

When we purchased our new coach, tile floors were a must. Yes, they can be colder when not heated, but they're soooo easy to clean. We have the built in Dirt Devil with the power floor sweep and we just sweep in the dirt once a day. Sooooo easy.

Those arguing wood floors are more popular are missing a huge point. If you have an older coach and hate carpet, your only option is to add wood flooring or vinyl. If you do have an older coach and are willing to spend the money, you'll most likely go with wood to make it look more luxurious. So arguing that wood is more popular is really not true.....it's really the only option to carpeting, because if a coach didn't come with tile, it's almost impossible (cost prohibitive) to install.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Personally, I like carpet in my house. Wood looks nice but can be loud, the same with an all tile floor. BUT, when it comes to the motor home, carpeting is the worse. As "JMONROE" noted, there is a very narrow path in RV's and carpet wears twice as fast. The pure nature of camping makes for more dirt in the RV than a house.

We kept our last coach immaculate, which meant vacuuming every other day (no pets) and shampooing the carpet 3-4 times a year. Just a pain and it was amazing how dirty the carpet was every time I cleaned.

When we purchased our new coach, tile floors were a must. Yes, they can be colder when not heated, but they're soooo easy to clean. We have the built in Dirt Devil with the power floor sweep and we just sweep in the dirt once a day. Sooooo easy.

Those arguing wood floors are more popular are missing a huge point. If you have an older coach and hate carpet, your only option is to add wood flooring or vinyl. If you do have an older coach and are willing to spend the money, you'll most likely go with wood to make it look more luxurious. So arguing that wood is more popular is really not true.....it's really the only option to carpeting, because if a coach didn't come with tile, it's almost impossible (cost prohibitive) to install.
I would argue that the really good luxury vinyl tile (not the cheap stuff you get at Lowe's or HD), is a great alternative to wood.... even better in terms of scratch resistance and 'waterproofness' and rivals the luxury look of wood. No it doesn't 'feel' like wood when you walk on it but it sure looks great.

What little bit of carpet we have in our coach is slated to be replaced (mostly in the bedroom and a little bit on the big living room slide). We will just go with a high quality carpet.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #67

wood- engineered and adhered, is not loud- solid as a rock
Old 11-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
I think it's a good selling point,a WOW factor.Barbara and I looks at a lot of new mh's,the first thing that jumps out at you when you walk in is the shinny tile floors.Look at all the lighting there putting in now.Makes the reflection off the floors look even better.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Took all the carpet out of the S&B 10 years ago and installed tile. We were overjoyed that our MADP came with mostly tile. I would love to remove the carpet in the BR and install tile. Wood is a no go with our airedales.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tile or no tile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
I think it's a good selling point,a WOW factor.Barbara and I looks at a lot of new mh's,the first thing that jumps out at you when you walk in is the shinny tile floors.Look at all the lighting there putting in now.Makes the reflection off the floors look even better.
X-2. Just cleaned our porcelain tile with Aero wash and wax, quick and easy job! Tile looks like the day we purchased the Providence! Four years now, two fur kids, umpteen FWS rollers across it "OH HAPPY DAY." dance:
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote