Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
@#$%^&* Mice!

I had a visitor last winter & set some traps in the MH. Took about a week to get him (or her) but that was it. No other problem all year. It has been parked now for about a month and I go to look at the trap under the bathroom sink and I got another one. Tore up a 4 pack of toilet paper too.

I just ordered one of those Victor PestChaser Ultrasonic rodent repellant. We'll see how it works. Anyone else used them?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have one in our basement of S & B. Seems to slow them down but we still get some mice now and then. Traps are the best thing going.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Voice of experience-- don't be nice and live trap them and release you can take them over a mile away and they can probably beat you home! Killing traps and poison are the only answer. Best is the poison that makes them go out for water and never make it back.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I use Tom Cat at the house, works great and no signs of mice- we live next to a corn field. I've been using the pure peppermint oil on the cotton balls and Victor ultra sonic inside the coach and moth balls by the tires and in the bays and I throw some moth balls in the gravel also. I have an ultra sonic under the MH too. so far in the past several years no mice.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #5

I have found the new style Victor traps with some peanut butter on the large paddle trigger quite effective.

Use a lot of them, and in the right locations (corners and close to walls), and just take those rodents to the dumpster.............
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have poison in a compartment but wont that just attract them into the coach>?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I use these because they are cleaner & I don't have to worry about the dogs getting into them. They are more costly, but I don't get many mice. It's just that I have zero tolerance when it comes to those little critters, so even one is too many.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #8

We used sonic chasers and they seemed to work well, of course there 110v so you need to be hooked you. Good luck
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I have poison in a compartment but wont that just attract them into the coach>?
If it does, they will not be there long. I had a problem last year at the S&B and put some poison bags in the crawl space. They got into the first two bags but none have been touched since. The problem is gone.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Most poisons for mice are formulated so that after they eat it they go in search of water due to thirst. I also place the poisons around the inside of our garage that is beside where the MH is parked. I try to keep the poison in the garage year around this seems to keep them in check there and they don't get to the MH.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try "Fresh Cab". I get it at Ace Hardware. They are little bags of Balsam Fir Oil. Critters hate the odor and steer clear of them. I toss them under our Journey and we have no mouse problems. They are really strong and if I hold one to my nose and sniff, it gives me a headache. Makes your unit smell like pine needles.

Problem with D-Con is they eat it, go curl up in a drawer and die, and provide a aromatic ambiance to your unit.

I'd rather it smell like pine needles.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
the best I have found any safe Plaster paris dry with sugar mix they eat drink water and eat it and die
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #13

here is what we have done for the last 10 or so years. I drive our fiver on strips of plywood about 2" wider and longer than the tires and attach a box bent out of aluminum fascia which is very smooth with a couple wood screws to the plywood base. Mice cannot climb smooth vertical surfaces. I also set the landing gear in 5 gal. pails. Make sure nothing is leaning against the RV the mice can use as bridge. Also when we have have a cord or hose attached I slide a lid from an icecream pail over that has a hole in the centre just large enough to go over the cord and a x cut in it to slide over the cord end. Also mice don't like walking on gravel, grass is an invitation. Once the smell of mouse urin is inside your RV it attracts other mice and turns it into a never ending battle. We've been doing this for about 10 years now and never had a single mouse inside - no poison or traps.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #14

It's nesting time look in,under and everywhere pull out lower drawers completely out so you can inspect.