Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Another awning question

We have a Weather Pro awning from A&E. The awning is canvas unlike most I see that are vinyl. While it was lightly raining I always used to open the vinyl awning for cover. After doing this with the canvas and it getting a little windy it had a difficult time retracting. I had to go a little at a time because it would stop and burning out the motor didn't sound so good. It extended no problem to dry.

Does it need to be waterproofed or something?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The canvas material in awnings have a fabric coating that does wear off over time. By nature, they tend to absorb some water and do get heavier. They sell a product for canvas tents that you spray on to treat to restore the material. I do not know if A&E has such a product. Here is one from Camping World. You do have to make sure that the product you use is compatible with the material on the awning.

Thetford Spray-N-Shield Water & Stain Repellent , 32 oz. - Item - Camping World
Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
paz

The motor of the Weather Pro awning has a thermal protection device that will shut it down if there is too much resistance. This keeps the motor from burning out. It takes a minute or so to reset, then you can continue to move the awning. If the awning it hits another bind, the thermal switch will trip again. This happens to our awning all the time when trying to roll it in during windy conditions.

The trick I use is to stop the awning myself before the switch trips if I detect the motor starting to labor (doesn't always work). I can then reverse the awning a little, then have another go at rolling it up without having to wait for the thermal switch to reset itself. I like the idea of having a powered awning, but in reality it's sometimes a PITA.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #4

We also have a Vectra 40KD with the awning you refer to and have had lots of issue with it not wanting to retract. What we discovered is this: the warmer the weather and the more sunshine the more likely it is that it won't retract in one attempt. We've had the motor replaced and the springs tightened which both seemed to help somewhat. The last time we asked about it the service rep told us that it was a "known" issue and that the motor is undersized for the length of the awning...and that A&E have not plans to correct it. Our fix...don't use it unless it is going to be a calm and clear day.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the help everyone. Think I will waterproof it when we get home and be careful when using it. Under good conditions it always worked well so we will be more selective when using it.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. Think I will waterproof it when we get home and be careful when using it. Under good conditions it always worked well so we will be more selective when using it.
I think that the fabric is acrylic. You might find the following ifo on cleaning and waterproofing helpful.

From an email from A&E

We recommend to use mild detergent and warm water. A 1/2 cup of non chlorine bleach can be used. Once a fabric is cleaned, you may need to retreat with Scotchguard.

From a A&E pdf file on their web site:

Acrylic awnings have the color woven right into the fabric.
Acrylic also performs a little differently than vinyl in wet weather. It is water repellent, not waterproof. Because it’s a woven cloth, it breathes. Air circulates through the fabric so dew and rain can dry quickly. However, you should avoid touching the underside of an acrylic awning when it is wet. This will break the surface tension and allow seepage through the fabric. If your awning gets rolled up while wet, unroll it as soon as the weather allows. It should be completely dry before rolling it up again to avoid mildew.
To keep your acrylic awning clean, simply hose it off occasionally and let it dry. Do not scrub your acrylic awning as this could remove its water retardant finish. If you need to remove a grease spot, use K2R Spot Remover; this is different than how you would remove a similar spot from a vinyl awning.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Agree - the fabric is almost surely acrylic rather than canvas. Unlike vinyl, it does require a waterproofing every once in awhile. Make sure you use a water proofer that is designed for acrylic or synthetic. I had to re-waterproof the A&E awning on a previous coach after it got real dirty and I had to really scrub it to get it clean. I guess I scrubbed the water proof right out of it!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the same problems as others, awning goes out, comes in 10 inches at a time. Have had 2 boxes, 1 new motor. Motor is undersized for longer awnings. It has been a pain in rear . Same for Oasis door awning. Replaced $90 plastic gear last summer, worked a couple months, now does nothing.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are going to replace our manual awning with a 9100 Dometic power awning. It's vinyl and our length is 19ft. Are these issues the same for the 9100 and this length?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here is an update. We put the awning out to make sure it was dry before breaking camp to return home. It was a beautiful sunny Florida day with little wind. When trying to put it back up it would hardly move. Maybe a few inches if we were lucky. We finally "helped" it by giving it a push with a broom handle.

I can't see the point of the automatic wind sensor. Not likely it could retract it before it was torn off. Is there a larger replacement motor we could buy? Thinking of contacting Dometic if no one has already done this
Old 08-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just came back from Lake George, NY. It rained last night and I tried to bring in the awning, A&E, cloth ,electric. It would not come in at all, it tried for about an inch but that was it. Had to tie down the corner so the the rain would run off or I would have to listen to the awning droping and hitting the stop all night. I was leaving in the morning and hoped it would stop raining enough so I could roll it in. I just made it this morning, it was growning all the way. 2005 Winnebago Adventurer, 38R. After reading your post it looks like there is no fix for this problem other than doen't use it. What doe one do ifthe awning won't come in and you have to leave?? Maybe some kind of release so you could hand roll it?? Does anyone know ?
jrchep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto all these problems with mine. I'm lucky enough to be tall and I can reach the arm while standing on the entry step to "help" the sad little motor.

My automatic door awning has been hanging up when retracting too but I think that's an adjustment issue. I'm currently at the Winnie factory and am going to let them have a go at it. As for my large patio awning, I'm going to let my dealer figure that out with my extended wty company. I'm guessing they'll play around replacing parts and the problems will continue.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm going to let my dealer figure that out with my extended wty company.
Glad you mentioned that Rick. I am thinking I will go the same route. Forgot all about our extended warranty until the fridge conked out.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We learned last week to just bring the awning in when it rains. It didn't lean to one side to allow the rain to run off so I had to poke the awning with a broom to get enough water off so I could bring it in. I also got a quick shower out of the deal.

JD
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote