Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #1

Another charging question

I am trying to learn this MH, as we have only had it about 3 weeks.
Over the door ( inside ) are two switched that disconnect the batteries for long term storage. If I use these to disconnect, and plug in at the house, will the batteries get charged?

Also, I know there is an adapter for 30amp cords, to plug into household current with a standard plug. Can a 50amp do the same? Is there an adapter out there for that too?
wingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 AM   #2

Quote:
If I use these to disconnect, and plug in at the house, will the batteries get charged?
I don't know about your first question, it would depend on how your coach manufacture designed your electrical system. However, why turn the switches off at all if you can plug into house power? I leave my coach switches in the on position if I am plugged in. The only time I turn them off is when the coach will be without "shore power" for a long time.

Quote:
I know there is an adapter for 30 amp cords, to plug into household current with a standard plug. Can a 50amp do the same? Is there an adapter out there for that too?
On the second question, I have a 50 amp to 30 amp pig tail, and a 30 amp to 15 amp pig tail. These are what I use when I plug into the house power outlet.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 AM   #3

On mine when I use the battery disconnect it will not charge the batteries.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
#1 - No. The batteries will not charge. The disconnect switches do exactly that, they disconnect the batteries , same thing as physically removing the cables.

#2 - Yes. you can use the various adapters - Word of caution. Your standard 120 wall outlet is rated at 15 amps. Most extension cards will NOT handle 15 amps.

At home, we use an adapter and keep ours plugged into a standard wall outlet with a 100 ft cord. Its enough to keep the battery charged and run the lights and furnace, but not the A/C unit or the 900 watt electric heater. Check the plugs and adapters occasionally for overheating. If they fell warm or look discolored, this means your drawing to many amps thru the adapter or cord connectors.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are also 30 to 50 adapters, which you will need at places without 50amp service. You might want to invest in a 30 amp extension cord which is far cheaper then a 50 amp cord. These come in handy in campgrounds (mostly state parks and provincial parks) where the electrical boxes are pretty far from your site. It would also address any issue like Waiter21 pointed out of normal extension cords not handling the 15 amps. If you go this route and you have a need for an extension cord then you would get by with a 15 to 30 adapter/pigtail. No need for an extension cord then as Bigd9 pointed out the two adapters also do the trick.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

The correct answer to whether the switches stop the unit from charging is "maybe". Our first one did not charge, our current one does anyway. The easiest thing to do is measure the battery voltage with the cord plugged in and the switch off and on. If it does not change then it probably charges anyway.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Seems everyone forgot to ask what type of RV he has, as that could lead to a different set up answers. Especially going from 50 amp to a standard 15 amp outlet. Current wise that is.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging