Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #15

According to a YouTube video I watched by Onan, the new 6000QD is very quiet. They were standing right next to it talking and it was full throttle. Should be even quieter under the coach. We'll see.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Didn't realise dealing with a Preper. Never seen a shortage of diesel pumps and have been remote Canada and Alaska, and Will go bad. I have thought about a Honda 1000 for battery recharge, 1 gallon verses 2 gallons a day boondocking. Oh most gen time for 4000 gas through 12000 diesel the average is about 1/2 gallon per hour even running A/C's. A backup OK but I'm RVing not getting ready for Zombies and if the Nuke war comes with nuclear winter will come and no matter how much you prepare you will starve, plus radiation poisoning, think I would rather go in the first strike.

LEN
Old 04-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #17

There's always gonna be a "you" in every forum. You missed the whole point of this conversation...but that doesn't come as a surprise. Sorry you're so miserable.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
My stance is much deeper than just "saving the generator"...I can buy another one...it's about preparedness. We learn in the service that "one is none, two is one". The further you travel into the wilderness, the less available diesel becomes while gasoline will be most everywhere...it's a matter of conservation. Mostly, it's a matter of backup systems in event of failure. Diesel uses nearly 1 gallon per hour while portables go for hours on 1 gallon. In the event things went sour (or your generator craps out in 105 degree heat) and you had to shelter in place for a bit...the gas backups will become priceless. I also carry a 6 months supply of balanced nutritional 30 year shelf life, freeze dried food that weighs less than 100 pounds. I could go on and on but for those who understand this, enough said. For those who don't...take note. You are responsible for the life, health and comfort of those who travel with you. For a few of you...maybe carrying a 50 pound generator about 10 feet may be the best exercise you've had in years. Being prepared with 2nd and 3rd layer systems is great peace of mind...and you WILL need them someday. When everybody looks at you and says "what do we do?"...you better have a Plan B.

We RVing here or surviving the zombie apocalypse?
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #19

Some people drink too much, watch too much TV and just gotta bad attitude in general. We are actually talking smart, logical alternatives to power management and back up systems as safety nets and money savers. RVing, just as boating, requires we "never depend on one single source for navigation". The original post regarded using his portable generator as an alternative power source and his ability to use it underway. It's an interesting thread if you leave out the grumpy old sour men that's been everywhere, done everything and know it all and read too much fiction.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
More generators are ruined by low usage than by overusage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #21

I wouldn't doubt that. I have 5 generators at my house and everyone is run and load tested every month. Generators, wives and boats do not like be left alone.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
I wouldn't doubt that. I have 5 generators at my house and everyone is run and load tested every month. Generators, wives and boats do not like be left alone.
Got a nice chuckle out of that, I am in the OP camp, I run my Honda, and could not care 2 cents for the noise & vibration of the Onan. The Honda adjusts to load in RPM, the Onan just screams at you even with no load. Honda "inverted power",,, Onan, does not even know what that means.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #23

Here is looking at you Cummings desil, either put some R&D into Onan, or just get out of the way. Honda can shield 110 degree heat from their buyers, can you?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #24

Another external genny thread

We dry camp a lot tailgating and when the temps cool down to the point that we no longer need AC, my Honda 2000 comes out. I have over 1000 hrs on my onboard and wouldn't dream of not using it while traveling and living in the south, the AC is often a requirement. With my transfer switch, I had to make a Neutral to Ground plug so it wouldn't read an open ground. I also added an extended run 6 gallon tank so I can run all weekend without adding fuel. The onboard Honda tank will run about 7 hours. It's more fuel efficient, quieter, and less vibration than my QD 10000. My brother has a Champion 3400 that he uses the same way and it will even run one AC if nothing else is drawing power. The only drawback of the champion is that an extended run tank is more difficult to build. The Hondas have a onboard fuel pump so it will pull fuel from the remote tank. The Champions gravity feed fuel so you have two options for a remote tank, you can place the remote tank above the generator and siphon gas into onboard tank or you put an inline 12v fuel pump and T into the existing fuel line between the onboard tank and the carb. The pump can be powered by the generators 12v outlet.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #25

As you can read on my earlier post in this thread, I'm all about the portable power options of the Hondas and the Champions. Regarding Onan, they have actually addressed this issue. My new Chateau has the new Onan Kubota powered QD (Quiet Diesel) 6000. I was amazed at how quiet this unit is and this model is now an "inverter generator" which ramps up and down based on power demand. There is a video on YouTube of a factory rep standing right next to it talking at regular voice levels while it runs full throttle. On my maiden voyage home from dealership Wednesday I tested the onboard behind a McD's with RV parking. After the first "jolt" of startup I could hardly hear it running. I consumed this fine fare while sitting right over it at the dinette and barely heard it. No vibration at all. I will still use the Hondas with extended fuel, parallel setup at race tracks, etc. and the Champion for periodic short-term use. Going to Southern Nationals in May for 4 days. It's a self-contained motorhome only "campyard" with no hookups. Will be a nice experiment with all options. Life is about options!!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #26

My unit is the new "quiet diesel 6000" and doesn't make much noise.

Please share what brand of gen set this is.... Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #27

The "Quiet Diesel 6000" is the Cummins/Onan replacement for the 5500. It's powered by a Kubota engine and has the new inverter technology. Mine is amazingly quiet. I've used the Honda 2000's individually and in parallel. The QD 6000 is as quiet as a single Honda 2000 running in non-eco mode. Isn't it interesting that the "Cummins/Onan" chooses Kubota power?? They finally realized who has mastered small diesel engine technology.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #28

Roger G explained it perfectly and proves there are many out here other than me that practice the same system. We haul the (used to be TT) to Atlanta Motor Speedway for the annual NASCAR race. They allow you to set up a week early and lots of local RVers come in and out during the week and "play". There are the Roadies that follow the sport and they arrive days before the race and stay at camp for the duration. There are no FHU's but they do have sewer pump trucks and water trucks that will service your unit during the week for a reasonable fee. It's a fun event and you make many like-minded friends. Most every unit in the lot has dual Hondas and/or a Champion...and they use them as a primary source...even the biggest DP's. The Hondas are the best system and two of them can be paralleled together which will run a single 13.5 or 15 A/C easily. This system with the B.E.R.G. extended run fuel option will allow them to run all night on 2+ gallons and they are very quiet. I switch over to a single unit during the day as needed. I now own the Super C with onboard 6K generator but will continue with the portable power system at the races and anywhere else I dry camp for an extended period (as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else). A back up power system is a must for me and I enjoy "lugging" those 50 pound units around.