Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #1

We knew when we purchased our MH that the tires were close to thier end of life age wise. They are 2001 dated with 26000 miles. I noticed 2 small cracks in one side wall. I dropped by a Michelin dealer to get an opinion, he said the tires were still ok but to watch them.
Now the deal is he said he would sell me 6 Michelin XZE 235/80/22.5 for $255. each plus $25. to balance. They look to be the same rating as XRV tires. The tires are new and have never been mounted and have a current date.

What do you think about the XZE tires rather than the XRV.?? They are both listed on the Michelin web site as RV tires.

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #2

We knew when we purchased our MH that the tires were close to thier end of life age wise. They are 2001 dated with 26000 miles. I noticed 2 small cracks in one side wall. I dropped by a Michelin dealer to get an opinion, he said the tires were still ok but to watch them.
Now the deal is he said he would sell me 6 Michelin XZE 235/80/22.5 for $255. each plus $25. to balance. They look to be the same rating as XRV tires. The tires are new and have never been mounted and have a current date.

What do you think about the XZE tires rather than the XRV.?? They are both listed on the Michelin web site as RV tires.

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

I replaced XRV with XZE to get the most tire I could get in my size. The XZE have a thicker sidewall and a little more tread. The trick is to get as much protection from the zipper blowout as possible. The XZE ride smoothly on my MH and the XRV were just a little smoother as you can imagine. Preventing a blowout is worth it.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #4

I have XZE's on my motorhome that were made in 1998. I know I am pushing the envelope as far as age and plan to replace this year. They still look great, there are absolutely no signs of weathering on any of the tires. They only have 21,000 miles on them so the tread is almost like new. They ride just fine, although maybe a bit firmer than the "RV" tires.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have XZE2+ on the front of my signature coach. 20K miles and they look showroom new and no sign of tread wear! The tires are very smooth riding.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:23 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
To protect yourelf from a zipper blowout, use the proper air pressure .

XZE is a good tire, heck all premium tires are good
Old 04-22-2007, 04:06 AM   #7

Ok being new to motorhoming what do you mean zipper effect?

07 Trailbazer HRRVC-Webmaster
discfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
A zipper blowout is when the side wall of a tire fails. When one looks at the failed tire the area of failure looks like a zipper that has been unzipped. Proper air pressure and maintenance will minimize this. The bottom line is a rolling tire is a happy tire. A tire that sit for long periods of time can have more problems than one that is used on a regular basis.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I'm not sure if you will be able to see this picture. This is usually caused by low air pressure as Gary said. The steel cords in the sidewall flex in the wrong area and break. That is why tire techs use the cage, last photo. The blast when the tire fails can kill.