Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Another stinky black tank post : (

Hello-

So I have a 2011 Fleetwood Storm. Every time we flush the toilet in the past couple of weeks, we get an extremely stinky smell throughout the coach. It's strong enough where one flush fills the coach almost immediately. It's getting to the point where my wife has to leave the coach because the smell is that bad and we're having a very difficult time getting the smell OUT of the coach with all the fans and windows open.

I've tried:

1) dumping the tank, filling with 2 gallons of water, dropping the green deordorizer tab in.

2) Running the sani flush for a couple of hours with the knife valve open. I can hear the water running into the tank.

What else can I do? When I open the toilet flapper/flush valve (whatever it's called) and I look straight down with a flashlight, I see brown, smelly water (sorry to be descriptive) that seems to be just standing there. These toilets (I assume?) don't have P traps so I assume I'm looking straight down into the black tank? Should I just be looking at empty tank with the knife valve open?

Any advice appreciated. We're camping for 3 days and I don't want a divorce : )
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

I would think there's a venting problem. Maybe the vent on the roof is blocked?
Old 08-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
Will check. How do I know if it is blocked? If it was, I assume I would have other issues like water not flowing properly down the drains?
Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You don't have any of your roof vent fans running when you flush do you? That's the fastest way to get tank smells into your RV....don't ask me how I know.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You don't have any of your roof vent fans running when you flush do you? That's the fastest way to get tank smells into your RV....don't ask me how I know.

Lori-
Actually I do as I'm trying to rid the smell in the coach. But that makes sense in that the fans are creating a slight negative pressure in the coach, sucking air up through the toilet opening during the flush cycle.

In the future, I'm definitely going to turn the fans OFF during the flush cycle, then back ON when the toilet is done flushing.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
I went up on the roof and took a look at the "weather vane" type vent I have. I was able to pull of the top and look straight down the vent with a flashlight to the surface water of either my grey or black tank....can't tell which one. No blockage.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #7

Instead of running water through the tank try dumping around a quarter to half tank's worth of water into it with a suitable load of detergent. Let it sit for a few hours then top off with water and dump the tank. Re fill it and dump again. That should get out a lot of stuff. The binder is usually grease the detergent will break down with a bit of a soak.

I would camp at a site with full hook ups for that endeavor. Take along some extra garden hose to do the fill and flush. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Instead of running water through the tank try dumping around a quarter to half tank's worth of water into it with a suitable load of detergent. Let it sit for a few hours then top off with water and dump the tank. Re fill it and dump again. That should get out a lot of stuff. The binder is usually grease the detergent will break down with a bit of a soak.

I would camp at a site with full hook ups for that endeavor. Take along some extra garden hose to do the fill and flush. ;-)
Laundry detergent huh? Hadn't read that one. I'll give that a try next time.

I FINALLY fixed the problem after filling the tank then dumping about 6 times until the water ran clear. There must have been some serious muck in that tank.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Laundry detergent huh? Hadn't read that one. I'll give that a try next time.

I FINALLY fixed the problem after filling the tank then dumping about 6 times until the water ran clear. There must have been some serious muck in that tank.
I'm guessing a build up of solids in the tank because of the Sanicon not flowing as fast as it would just dumping full throttle through the big slinky. The old stuff does get pretty ripe if not flushed out frequently. Glad you got it cleaned out.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
I'm guessing a build up of solids in the tank because of the Sanicon not flowing as fast as it would just dumping full throttle through the big slinky. The old stuff does get pretty ripe if not flushed out frequently. Glad you got it cleaned out.
Thanks. I think part of it is rookie error, too. I don't think I put nearly enough water back into the black tank after dumping and that guck just accumulated at the bottom of the tank with not enough standing water in there for between the dumps time period.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Thanks. I think part of it is rookie error, too. I don't think I put nearly enough water back into the black tank after dumping and that guck just accumulated at the bottom of the tank with not enough standing water in there for between the dumps time period.
They call that the black dome! If you have your black tank open at the camp grounds, it will just sit there and build up! It is much better to have liquid and fill up before dumping. I also always let the grey tank fill up as well to really help flush out the black tank. The best fitting you can get is a clear elbow so you can see how clear the black tank is. Also in a prior Motorhome, it had this build up, and I put some water and a couple bags of ice with Dawn dishwasher soap, and it broke it up. I saw this on earlier posts. Regards
Old 08-14-2016, 12:37 AM   #12

The chemical additives, "breaks down waste and paper", don't usually sit long enough in a tank to do much. If you have to, use a garden hose and nozzle down the toilet to break things up. If you leave your black tank dump valve open, the water runs out and solidd build up. Keep the tank valve closed unless dumping. Flush it twice to add water. Clean flush it two or three times to leave water in the bottom after dumping it to prevent solids build up.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What about that thingy under the bathroom lavatory, I forget what it's called, but it has to do with venting the black tank?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

I err on the side of being overly cautious because I don't want any buildup in the black tank. Before we head out on a trip I dump a bag of ice down the toilet and let it slosh around as we drive. Then the ice has a chance to break up any solids.

When we flush solids we follow up with an extra flush of water to keep the liquid/solid ratio high. I want to make sure the black tank is more liquid than sludge.

After dumping I always add a few gallons of water along with fabric softener and Borax detergent booster.

Putting ice in before heading out on a trip probably doesn't do anything but it gives me peace of mind.

We also keep the fan off when flushing the toilet. Learned the hard way on that one. Actually, we've learned the hard way on many things.
TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank