Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

Another storage question

I'm sure this was asked many times before but hitting search brings up nothing. I just picked up my RV and storing it for 6 weeks at my sisters in Florida. First should I store it full of fuel? Should I use additives? Does grade matter? How about alcohol free fuel? I'm emptying the water tank and plan on using the bleach me thing to clean that when I get back in 6 weeks. Damp rid in the coach along with mothballs underneath and Irish sing inside by the doors with ant traps. Am I missing anthing. I've had the MH for about 24 hours and so far spent 500 at Walmart and another 500 at camping world. And that's just on covers and hoses and little stuff.
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A month and a half won't allow gasoline to degrade too much. A dose of Sta-Bil wouldn't hurt, check bottle for amount needed for your fuel tank. Also, shut off gas to generator and run it dry to prevent it from possibly gumming up. A full tank means less moisture can form, especially in a humid place like FL.

If your roof vents have covers on them, leave vents open a bit to allow ventilation. Leaving a window open a bit also helps cross ventilation if they can be opened without allowing water entry. We prop open fridge and all cabinets while in storage. Make sure all food is removed, even condiments.

If you can plug in to shore power, make sure batteries are properly filled with electrolyte. If not, disconnect (+) terminals, Battery 'Store' switch doesn't 100% disconnect and batteries can still discharge to a damaging level.

Besides giving water system a bleach treatment, you might clean out water heater tank with vinegar to remove deposits if it's been used in the past. If it's a Suburban WH, a new drain plug with anode is also suggested.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A month and a half won't allow gasoline to degrade too much. A dose of Sta-Bil wouldn't hurt, check bottle for amount needed for your fuel tank. Also, shut off gas to generator and run it dry to prevent it from possibly gumming up. A full tank means less moisture can form, especially in a humid place like FL.

If your roof vents have covers on them, leave vents open a bit to allow ventilation. Leaving a window open a bit also helps cross ventilation if they can be opened without allowing water entry. We prop open fridge and all cabinets while in storage. Make sure all food is removed, even condiments.

If you can plug in to shore power, make sure batteries are properly filled with electrolyte. If not, disconnect (+) terminals, Battery 'Store' switch doesn't 100% disconnect and batteries can still discharge to a damaging level.

Besides giving water system a bleach treatment, you might clean out water heater tank with vinegar to remove deposits if it's been used in the past. If it's a Suburban WH, a new drain plug with anode is also suggested.
The water heater has a new anode. Another question. To drain the water. Is it OK to let the drinking water just drain on the road? I don't want to offend anyone, I just don't know the protocol. What if it has bleach?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:

Any idea where that fuel shut off valve is on an Onan 4000?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Not sure it has one, you'll have to look in an owner's manual. A pair of vice grips on the fuel line will do the job.

The carb can't be rebuilt, no parts available, you have to replace it if it gets gummed up.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Not sure it has one, you'll have to look in an owner's manual. A pair of vice grips on the fuel line will do the job.

The carb can't be rebuilt, no parts available, you have to replace it if it gets gummed up.
Unfortunately the only manual I didn't get yesterday was the genny.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
A suggestion I make when folks want manuals is use Google. Almost every system in your RV will have a PDF manual available to download. Going top to bottom in your RV and noting make and model of everything installed can yield lots of online information. I've downloaded manuals and bookmarked tons of sites I might need.

This is an Onan Generator handbook:

https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf

This is an owner's manual, not sure it covers your model:

https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs...__opm_2015.pdf

Bob & Donna
Old 03-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
A suggestion I make when folks want manuals is use Google. Almost every system in your RV will have a PDF manual available to download. Going top to bottom in your RV and noting make and model of everything installed can yield lots of online information. I've downloaded manuals and bookmarked tons of sites I might need.

This is an Onan Generator handbook:

https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf

This is an owner's manual, not sure it covers your model:

https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs...__opm_2015.pdf
I've been trying to find it but when I type in the 2007 it goes right to 2017. Are they still the same?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
You'll have to check with your serial and model # to see if either manual covers your model. A few years ago Onan manuals were available from a variety of sources, then all of a sudden they seemed to disappear. Since I don't have an Onan, I have a Generac one.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #10

Six weeks isn't long enough for gasoline to go bad and hurt anything. I would fill the tank to help keep condensation inside the fuel tank down.

As far as the generator, it's normally good to run em under load periodically, monthly is a standard recommendation. However, i doubt going 6 weeks will hurt anything. Because i'm forgetful, there's been several times that i went more than a month without running our Onan 4000. No problems came about but who knows, maybe i've just been lucky.

If you're not keeping the unit plugged into shore power, then it would be a good idea to disconnect both, the coach and chassis batteries. If plugged in, make sure everything you don't want running (lights, water pump, water heater, HVAC stuff, TV amp, etc,,,) is turned off.

Doesn't sound like you're doing this but just in case, don't leave city water going into the motorhome pressurized.

Won't hurt to turn off the propane at the tank.

If possible, leave a couple of vents or windows cracked to help with air circulation.

Dry out any moisture that may be in the refrigerator and leave the doors cracked open as well.

As said, don't leave food behind.

Tags
storage