Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #15

For years I have used an external cheap menards blue colored omni 10" whole house filter housing and a carbon drinking filter that fits it. Rated at like 3000 gals at like 1.5 gals per minute. I fill tank slowly on well water and faster at home seems to work very good for me. Our club water would stink as dishes dried using Camco inline type . Let many friends use it ,many picked up the same. Not saying it's best but it helps alot. We are not FT and always fill tank & pump only.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Carbon block filters do not have the flow capacity necessary for whole-house filtering. We use the blue Camco in-line filter off the outside spigot to get rid of the big stuff. We have a high-quality 1/2 micron carbon block filter under the sink with a separate faucet that we use for all consumable water!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
I disagree. I use a whole house carbon block filter from the RV Filter Store that has a flow rate of 3 gal per minute. No issues at all with coach water pressure.
I'm with Jim on this one. We have a Camco Blue sedi filter at the water source. Hose then runs to the coach and goes thru a 2 stage water filter system...
1) another sedi and then
2) to a .5 carbon
Then thru our portable water softener, then to the whole coach. I change all the sedi filters and recharge the softener every 3 months. Change out the .5 carbon filter twice a year. Have no flow issues, great tasting, safe, whole house water. We got ours from from the RV Filter Store also.

We didn't want to carry bottled water either. Using more plastic, more weight, more space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wetbay-and-water-softener.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	258944  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I'm with Jim on this one. We have a Camco Blue sedi filter at the water source. Hose then runs to the coach and goes thru a 2 stage water filter system...
1) another sedi and then
2) to a .5 carbon
Then thru our portable water softener, then to the whole coach. I change all the sedi filters and recharge the softener every 3 months. Change out the .5 carbon filter twice a year. Have no flow issues, great tasting, safe, whole house water. We got ours from from the RV Filter Store also.

We didn't want to carry bottled water either. Using more plastic, more weight, more space.
Can you share what filters you are using?
Old 09-08-2019, 06:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Carbon block filters do not have the flow capacity necessary for whole-house filtering. We use the blue Camco in-line filter off the outside spigot to get rid of the big stuff. We have a high-quality 1/2 micron carbon block filter under the sink with a separate faucet that we use for all consumable water!

Not correct, I use them and also my son with absolutely no problems with flow and we both use a watts residential pressure reducer.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
The Clearsource has oversized high flow canisters I was really suprised at the size and heft of this rv system. My TDS readings are good so as far as I can tell it’s doing its job so far. I also have a whole house filter at home that uses the same size cartridges and a 4 stage Ro/Di system for my salt water reef aquarium so I monitor my water fairly closely.
Measuring TDS, while designed for certain uses, is not a measure of water quality, which is the subject of this thread.

https://www.hydroviv.com/blogs/water...rs-and-testers

For those who tout higher flow rates than what the mfgr of carbon-block filter state; this promotes channeling, which defeats the effectiveness of the filter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #20

^^ This is good information, further reinforcing that pushing higher flow through a filter that is not designed to filter effectively at that flow rate will not give people all of the filtration level they may think they are getting. The filters take time to do their job, without which they will not perform as designed.

The article is speaking generically about GAC technology, but keep in mind that in the market place GAC filters are different than Carbon Block filters in that with Carbon Block the carbon particles are considerably smaller than with GAC and a GAC filter can typically handle a much higher flow rate.
It's possible some people are confusing the two when talking about their flow rates.

So once again, if you push more than the manufacturer stated flow rate through a 10" x 2.5" carbon block filter (typically 1 gallon per minute) you are not getting the level of filtration the filter was designed for. The websites I've seen are a bit misleading in that they state maximum flow rate, not effective flow rate.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Can you share what filters you are using?
I did in my post.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #22

Quote:
I did in my post.
I meant specifying brand and model. Your post just mentions a .5mm carbon
Old 09-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #23

Quote:
I meant specifying brand and model. Your post just mentions a .5mm carbon
From the RV Filter Store as stated. It's the sedi filter in 1st stage, .5 carbon in 2nd stage. It's their standard dual filter water system. Also shows this set up in my attached picture in previous post.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #24

Quote:
From the RV Filter Store as stated. It's the sedi filter in 1st stage, .5 carbon in 2nd stage. It's their standard dual filter water system. Also shows this set up in my attached picture in previous post.
I understand your setup, but since this thread is about carbon block filters I was just asking about which specific carbon filter cartridge you're using. I looked it up and that store only sells one .5 carbon block filter, the Pentek CBC-10, which has a manufacturer recommended flow rate of 1 gallon per minute.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #25

Quote:
I understand your setup, but since this thread is about carbon block filters I was just asking about which specific carbon filter cartridge you're using. I looked it up and that store only sells one .5 carbon block filter, the Pentek CBC-10, which has a manufacturer recommended flow rate of 1 gallon per minute.
Exceeding the mfgrs maximum flow rate will result in inadequately filtered water. I recommend a whole-house type carbon block filter for a flow rate to meet/exceed your requirement = $$$$.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 09-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
^^ This is good information, further reinforcing that pushing higher flow through a filter that is not designed to filter effectively at that flow rate will not give people all of the filtration level they may think they are getting. The filters take time to do their job, without which they will not perform as designed.

The article is speaking generically about GAC technology, but keep in mind that in the market place GAC filters are different than Carbon Block filters in that with Carbon Block the carbon particles are considerably smaller than with GAC and a GAC filter can typically handle a much higher flow rate.
It's possible some people are confusing the two when talking about their flow rates.

So once again, if you push more than the manufacturer stated flow rate through a 10" x 2.5" carbon block filter (typically 1 gallon per minute) you are not getting the level of filtration the filter was designed for. The websites I've seen are a bit misleading in that they state maximum flow rate, not effective flow rate.
I'm afraid some folks are confusing flow rate and filtration!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Just get a whole house filter from Lowes/Home Depot and plumb it in. Higher flow usually means the filter passes larger particles so keep that in mind. You could put smaller filters under the sink for drinking water or get a RO system that makes a few gallons a day and go that way just for drinking water.

ditto
we use a whole house , plus its easy as pie to get replacements
and all drinking water, coffee water go through a R/O unit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water valves.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	260436  
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #28

Quote:
I'm afraid some folks are confusing flow rate and filtration!
Yup, excessive flow rate reduces effective filtration.

Tags
water