Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Any tips for removing couch bolts by myself

I really have get the furniture in living room out & gone. (long story). Right now don't have a helper & it took my forever to remove just two bolts.

I'm thinking the quickest way will be jut to loosen enough to cut them off? There are 8 bolts in big sofa & 6 in love seat.

I'm all for using vice grips on one end to wedge against something and loosen from other end using a small pry bar to keep the tension. Was doing that and vice grips keep falling off.

Perfectly happy to set fire to them where they are right now... nope im not cranky today at all! hahaha

Fun part will be taking the Sawzall to parts of the sofa. [emoji14]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 02:48 AM   #2

I am lazy so I put vice grips on the bolt heads than use an impact wrench to zip off the nuts.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Those bolts are tough unless you are a contortionist. Do a couple and have a beer. Go back and do another one have another beer....repeat as needed.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #4

Grind the suckers off.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #5

use a socket wrench or impact driver...not a difficult job unless you damage the heads with the vice grips....not the tool for the job..
Old 08-06-2019, 05:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
use a socket wrench or impact driver...not a difficult job unless you damage the heads with the vice grips....not the tool for the job..
Not sure how a socket wrench or impact driver is going to help on a nut/bolt situation. You still have that pesky other end to hold.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not sure how a socket wrench or impact driver is going to help on a nut/bolt situation. You still have that pesky other end to hold.
Most times, unless the threads are rusty or dirty, if you can get the impact on the nut, bumping the trigger will let the nut back off a little before the bolt turns. I have a set of flat wrenches that are pretty useless for turning many bolts, but are great to put on one end, and rotate to lock. If using a locked wrench, don't use a ratchet. The back stroke will shake the wrench off. And never lock a wrench when torquing a bolt tight
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I've used them too in situations like that if the nuts aren't locking nuts of some sort. The sudden torque of the impact can spin the nut off before the bolt moves. I don't know if it'd work in the OP's situation.

If that doesn't work I'd probably do it spdracr39's way. If I've gotten a couple off I know it's possible, so I'd just do a couple .... then another couple .....
Old 08-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #9

If you can get to the nut side use a nut splitter on ‘em then pop the bolts out.
Tip10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #10

Box end wrench on top, tie the end of the wrench with a piece of rope and secure the rope to a seat or another stout fixture. If you are really frustrated place the wrench on the bolt head and screw in a fair sized wood screw in the floor to hold it in place. Seal the hole after you are done. Not saying that is the best but it is a way.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #11

Grandpa told me in the 50s
Those bolts dont have brains.
Dont let them out smart you.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #12

box wrench that is vise gripped to the seat frame.
Or, better yet, find a friend and give him / her a beer to hold onto the wrench while you go underneath with the impact gun.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I am lazy so I put vice grips on the bolt heads than use an impact wrench to zip off the nuts.
cool, that's what I've been trying just can't get enough play to get grip with bolt head... yet! hahahaha... trying again this afternoon. I want thay couch set on fire and that's a looong story for another time.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Those bolts are tough unless you are a contortionist. Do a couple and have a beer. Go back and do another one have another beer....repeat as needed.
i guess GMTA after all! That contortionist part is tough. It can take me a while to nust get sown then stand up. Lost a lot of flexibility when i had my hip replaced Jan '18. Less, ok almost no pain but lost that range of motion.

I'll second that beer:30pm time i think.