Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #1

Anybody ever insulate their exposed waterlines for winter camping?

Last year while traveling back south and camping in North East Pennsylvania we got caught in a cold snap in early January. I woke up and my plumbing valves in the wet bay were frozen. I was very lucky I got them to defrost within a few minutes by putting my portable heater on them.

This winter we’re making the same trek up north for the holidays. I’m putting a small 250W heater in my wet bay with a T stat plug, (on at 37 off at 50). However, I’m thinking of also insulating my exposed pex plumbing under my rig with foam wrap insulation. I wanted to know if anybody has done this? And is this enough to prevent a cold snap from freezing my lines? I’ve also read you can spray foam the lines also.

I’m not talking about camping in sub freezing weather, I just want to protect myself in case I get caught in a cold dip again. I’m also thinking of running heater coil along the exposed pex and then wrapping them in foam insulation. Any thoughts or advice or experience with this would be helpful.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Why not just run off your fresh water tank?

Fill it up the night before and then put your hose away.

The small heater in the wet bay should keep the frost out for a short over-night frost.

That's what we do if we get caught out in a dip in temp.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #3

Insulation on water lines will only slow down the heat loss. If you really need to protect a waterline, you will need a heat source. Maybe you should consider using heat tape on any line exposed to freezing temperatures.

We camp in temperatures down to zero when we take the coach with us on snow skiing trips. We have adapted everything to withstand freezing water. I use two 250 watt heaters with one at each end of a long wet bay, remote thermometers so I can see what the temperatures are, plus the propane furnaces send some hot air down there. Still get the occasional frozen line.

Word of caution. Don't point a electric heater right at anything plastic, like water lines or tanks. THe can melt.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It sounds like you may have a trailer or fifth wheel. If that's true you may want to ask an Admin to move your post from the motorhome forum to the correct one as I think you'll get more pertinent answers.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just how much piping is exposed? If it’s only the lines to the outside kitchen, maybe you could shut those lines off and drain them. If more, then heat tape may be required.
Also, don’t forget your waste lines. The tanks may be inside and somewhat protected, but that’s no help if your exposed black/gray drain valves freeze shut!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have exposed water lines feeding my washing machine in my FWS. I attached heat tape and wrapped it with self stick insulation tape I bought at Depot. I’ve been in single digits for days and have had no problems.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Uhmmm, on my 99 GS Class C, the only thing exposed is the TIPS of the LOW POINT DRAINS? Everything else in heated compartment
Old 11-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #8

Yes, I use the insulation foam wrap & a clamp on lamp with 100 watt bulb plugged into a thermo cube
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
It sounds like you may have a trailer or fifth wheel. If that's true you may want to ask an Admin to move your post from the motorhome forum to the correct one as I think you'll get more pertinent answers.
I have a 2019 JayCo Redhawk 25R class C.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Just how much piping is exposed? If it’s only the lines to the outside kitchen, maybe you could shut those lines off and drain them. If more, then heat tape may be required.
Also, don’t forget your waste lines. The tanks may be inside and somewhat protected, but that’s no help if your exposed black/gray drain valves freeze shut!
The line from my fresh water tank, (located just behind the drives entry door on my class C) to the wet bay compartment,(located at the very last compartment on drives side, about 20’) And the hot & cold lines from water heater ,(located on passenger side about 8’). Back to the wet bay compartment.

The fresh water line is somewhat accessible, hanging through the chassis, I could run heat tape and wrap it with lengths of foam. But the hot water lines are buttoned up tight to the frame and floor of my rig. Not so easy to wrap. That’s why I would consider spray foaming them. But if I did, would it be okay to heat tape them and spray over it?
Old 11-29-2020, 06:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Why not just run off your fresh water tank?

Fill it up the night before and then put your hose away.

The small heater in the wet bay should keep the frost out for a short over-night frost.

That's what we do if we get caught out in a dip in temp.
Are your lines exposed or internal. Our last rig had all of its lines and takes installed internally, it was a true winter rig.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Check to see if your furnace is ducted to the basement compartment, if it is this will help provided you run the furnace and don't rely on small space heaters for the living area.

I stayed in my coach during the month of April in northern Michigan. It got down into the teens and we had 2' of snow. I ran a small space heater in the basement plugged into to a thermostatic plug. I also put a remote temperature sensor in the basement wet bay compartment to keep a check on the temps where a bulk of my water lines ran.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #13

Check out the latest YouTube video from Adventerousway

Old 11-30-2020, 05:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Check to see if your furnace is ducted to the basement compartment, if it is this will help provided you run the furnace and don't rely on small space heaters for the living area.

I stayed in my coach during the month of April in northern Michigan. It got down into the teens and we had 2' of snow. I ran a small space heater in the basement plugged into to a thermostatic plug. I also put a remote temperature sensor in the basement wet bay compartment to keep a check on the temps where a bulk of my water lines ran.
Yes my furnace ductwork goes through part of one compartment and runs under my shower where the bulk of my interior lines branch in/out from my wet bay. However, I have exterior waterlines attached to the exterior of my chassis. These are the ones I’m concerned about.

Tags
camping, water, winter