RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #1

Anybody ever use one of these "baby"compressors?

I ran across a compressor like this in a Menards store the other day and it looked interesting. They have several of them and they are smaller than the pancake compressors I've seen folks have and are about 25% to 35% of the price of a Viair but you don't get the neat bag or the accessories which I already have. Has anyone ever used one of these and if so how did it work for you.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...43-c-12910.htm
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have one from California Air Tools that is lightweight and only draws 4A@120V. It will top off the tires on our DP very well.......I accidentally let the air out of one of our 22.5" tires a while back and it took about 10 minutes to fill it back to 100 PSI.

The new rotary compressor models like mine and they also have a line at Harbor Freight (not the red ones) that are very quiet and makes good pressure....the key is to find a compressor that can do at least 2.5 CFM @90PSI and uses less than 5-6A.....you should have no issues running this from your inverter if your compressor meets these specs
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #3

Price is really immaterial. What you want to concentrate on is CFM@XXX preseure. The higher the better. Low CFM means horribly long time to pump up a tire. The Cambel Hausfield pancake comressirs from places like Lowes offer good ratinga for less than a hundred dollars.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I ran across a compressor like this in a Menards store the other day and it looked interesting. They have several of them and they are smaller than the pancake compressors I've seen folks have and are about 25% to 35% of the price of a Viair but you don't get the neat bag or the accessories which I already have. Has anyone ever used one of these and if so how did it work for you.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...43-c-12910.htm
arcaguy,
Yeah, there's lots of those types of compressors on the market. All those smaller ones are about the same. The original design/intent of them is for smaller jobs/operations like nail guns, bicycle tires, and small air appliances. Well, do they work? Yeah, they work but, don't expect any Indy Car Pit Crew speed out of any of them. A D/P tire normally hovers around 100+ psi or more and that's quite a chore for one of those. There's even smaller compressors on the market like the Viair versions. I've got one of those too and, it takes FOREVER to add even 5 lbs. to go from 95 to 100 in our coach.

But, those smaller *pancake* and alike compressors are pretty much our choices for alternate air sources. Of course you can start up the GIANT compressor (diesel engine) and get air that way.

Anyway, that one you linked will work. Just realize its severely limited in capability when it comes to large, high pressure tires.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:32 AM   #5

It should work. Just as a point of information, in the same price range, I've been very happy with how this Porter Cable compressor performs:

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-.../dp/B006CVXGR0

But I should say that I have a gas motorhome with 19" wheels, so I'm only dealing with inflation pressures in the 85-93 psi range. I like the design of this unit as the footprint is fairly small and fits in my power bay without a problem. I use a better and longer hose so I don't have to move the compressor that much when checking/inflating all the tires.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:46 AM   #6

I have been using this compressor for several years and have been pleased with its performance. I maintain 120 in front tires and this compressor will air them up to 120.
mg2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #7

I bought a small compresser with a 1 gallon tank. It will top off 19.5 " tires, but takes a long time because the tank volume is so much less than the tires. If you have 22.5" tires or need to go over 90 psi, it would not work.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Actually the tank volume ha little to do with the speed of inflation on big tires. The tank is just an accumulator to even out air flow so the compressor doesn't have to run all the time. The speed of inflation is driven solely by the SCFM rating at the necessary psi. SCFM goes down as the operating pressure goes up, as with this Fini model (3.5 SCFM @ 40 psi but only 2.5 SCFM @ 90 psi). I would suspect the SCFM at 120 psi will be quite low, maybe 1.0, but if your tires run at 90 psi you won't care because the 2.5 SCFM is decent performance if all you are doing is topping off a tire. Painfully slow to inflate a big tire from scratch, though.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #9

Well it sounds like they work OK and I know I'm not going to get a lot of CFM but I really just want them to top off tires and maybe blow up a beach ball or something. I kind of like the Porter Cable because it's all enclosed. As for all of the hoses and accessories. I have plenty and the coiled hoses are pretty cheap. The price sure beast the $300+ for a Viair and the CFM are higher too. I think I have my solution. Thanks again everyone.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #10

I have used this Craftsman compressor for at least 10 years now. I chose the oil lubricated compressor because it will last longer than the teflon seals of an oilless compressor and it's a little quieter. I have not tried it on my 22.5 tires for the motorhome yet though. This one may be a bit big to take with you but it works well for the garage and it doesn't take up as much room. It's still available to buy online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	299867  
JJColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #11

Most all of those compressors will do the job, at varying speeds. People buy Vlairs because they can. They're the Range Rover of compressors.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #12

I have an older Porter Cable pancake compressor at home. It's doesn't work well for my 22.5 inch tires. The problem is it's a 120PSI version, and once the pressure on the tank bleeds down the compressor kicks on and it'll slowly fill the tires with then compressor running. however the pressure that it kicks the compressor back on at is lower than the tire pressure, so it never kick s back on unless I manually open the tank valve to lower the tank pressure. It's a huge hassle. I am going to look at one of the silver colored higher pressure small compressors that harbor Freight offers. With the higher pressure the compressor start cycle pressure should be higher and hopefully alleviate that problem. I have little interest in paying for a Viair to occasionally fill a tire.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #13
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
It should work. Just as a point of information, in the same price range, I've been very happy with how this Porter Cable compressor performs:

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-.../dp/B006CVXGR0

But I should say that I have a gas motorhome with 19" wheels, so I'm only dealing with inflation pressures in the 85-93 psi range. I like the design of this unit as the footprint is fairly small and fits in my power bay without a problem. I use a better and longer hose so I don't have to move the compressor that much when checking/inflating all the tires.
2X - We full time andd place it in a plastic milk crate. Did add a longer regular air hose to it. 85psi rear tires and 105psi in front
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #14

Well,
When you REALLY want SERIOUS air, this is the way to go, IF, you have or tow, one of the Jeeps listed for the various kits:

https://www.cuoffroad.com/product-li...-airboss-kits/

After owning, modifying and towing 9 Jeeps over a 35 year period, 8 of them have had either this particular system or a variation of it. Without a doubt, this system DESTROYS any Viair, or portable 12VDC or 120VAC compressor made. But, as stated, you have to have one of the Jeeps listed in order for this system to be of value to you.

Yep, darned expensive for sure. And if I had to guess, there's probably less than 1% of the Jeep towing folks on here that have one. Until recently, there was no *Kit* for the '12 and up JK's but, there was or is, for the '07 - '11 model years with the 3.8L. But, the kits have been available for the TJ's and below for years. I built the same exact systems on our old CJ's using bone stock AMC parts from junk yards for around $25 or so. Those were the days.

But, you talk about CFM, and some HIGH PRESSURE, it don't get any better than these. And, much of how they're used is when the engine is idling. Crank the idle up to around 1000 rpms and, those really kick bu...

Buuuuuuuut, not everyone wants or needs this kind of performance. I've built home air compressors using old A/C pumps and, without a doubt, those were highly competitive with factory units. I just really don't care for the slooooooow performance of most if not all, smaller 12V and or 120VAC units.
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor